Ended Field WASH Assistant (2)
Location: Abyan( Zonjubar) & Lahj
Reports to: Field WASH Engineer.
Duration: Six Months
Organization & Background:
A humanitarian, independent, non-profit, non-governmental organization that works across Yemen. The organization provides direct assistance for conflict-affected populations, IDPs, host communities and vulnerable groups in the conflict areas. The organization, in partnership with international agencies, takes action during crisis situations, and goes the extra mile to engage in other contexts where its competencies will add value. The organization promotes durable solutions for conflict-affected populations and helps to restore services, education, economic, wellbeing and health.
The Field WASH Engineer Assistant is responsible for supporting the technical WASH Team in the implementation wash and rehabilitation projects and providing technical training for beneficiaries. Also , supporting in the identification, design, implementation, monitoring and reporting on the progress of water sources rehabilitation and rehabilitation of health facilities projects in the assigned districts. S/he is Responsible for day-to-day field management, supervision and provision of regular technical backstopping to WASH and Community projects in addition to provision of needed technical support.
- In collaboration with the Civil & water and WASH engineers, assess the health facilities for rehabilitation requirements
- Develop detailed bills of quantities (BOQ) and drawings for the construction/Rehabilitation works required at the sanitation facilities in the health centers, based on assessment and program requirements.
- Assist in Developing rehabilitation and construction project budget estimates
- Work with Civil & water and WASH engineers to draw up works tender documents and provide technical support to Bid Committees
- Assist to supervise the construction/rehabilitation process, ensuring that it is completed within timelines and according to approved BOQs
- Where necessary, take samples for laboratory testing of materials and workmanship
- Assist of ensuring that variations are approved by Civil & water and WASH engineers advisor according to SC procedures before giving work order to the contractor
- Verify incoming materials are of the highest quality and from acceptable country of origin
- Certify achievement of contractual milestones, and provide report to Civil & water and WASH engineers so payment to contractors can be processed
- Assist to develop and implement safety standard checklists ensuring that children’s safety is central
- Assist to seek and obtain appropriate government sign-off on works at the critical stages; especially at the start and completion
- As appropriate, ensure that the contractor maintains proper inventory control systems of commodities/goods transactions
- Technical training of community volunteers, members of WASH committees, governmental staff on how to use and maintain the water sanitation facilities.
- Write and submit weekly activity reports and filed visit reports at critical points of the construction/rehabilitation works.
- As required, support emergency planning processes and response in regards to WASH.
Qualifications & Experiences:
- Bachelor degree in Civil Engineering or any related field.
- 3 years relevant experience in same field.
- Experience at preparing various engineering reports.
- Knowledge and understanding of construction management.
- Experience in preparing Bill of Quantity (BOQ) and budgets.
- Thinking both creatively and logically to resolve design and development problems.
- Ability to explain design ideas and plans clearly.
- Willing and capable of adopting a questioning attitude.
- Good oral and written communication skills in English & Arabic.
- Oral and written Language skills in English.
- Experience or knowledge of working and living in relevant regions/contexts.
- NGO or humanitarian work experience.
Interested candidates are invited to submit their updated CVs to firstname.lastname@example.org by Mon, June 8th, 2020 at the latest, mentioning the job title and the name of the city you are applying for in the subject line. Emails without such indication will not be considered. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.