Yemen Relief and Reconstruction Foundation (YRRF)
Position: Financial Officer – Yemen
Reports to: Country director – Yemen
Location: Sana’a - Yemen
Established in 2017, the Yemen Relief and Reconstruction Foundation aims to increase awareness among the U.S. public and policymakers vis-à-vis the devastating humanitarian crisis in Yemen while supporting relief and reconstruction efforts and facilitating peace campaigns.
YRRF aids and supports Yemeni families in desperate need. Through our network of local volunteers, we reach needy families in urban areas, remote villages and refugee camps. There are now an estimated 3.1 million people who have fled their homes, many of whom are now living in makeshift shelters in Yemen for the relative safety of these camps.
We are recruiting a financial officer, based in Sana’a, Yemen, who will be responsible for accounting and bookkeeping activities in Yemen. The position will provide financial guidance to the different projects provided in Yemen in consultation with the YRRF country director, ensuring that projects financial activities are carried out as planned. The financial officer will also work with the Yemen team to ensure that projects meet objectives and comply with donor rules and regulations and with YRRF organizational policies. This position will work under the direct supervision of the Yemen Country Director and in partnership with the Summit financial service company in Seattle.
Scope of Work
Given expanding YRRF activities in Yemen, this position will focus on building and strengthening the financial aspects of differing projects to ensure that objectives and budgets are met. This work will be conducted in collaboration with accounting staff in the U.S., coordinating and monitoring YRRF/s financial spending in Yemen. Specific areas of responsibility and oversight will include:
- Keeping accurate records for all daily transactions
- Preparing balance sheets
- Processing invoices
We are looking for an experienced Finance Officer to take charge of the financial health of the Foundation by administering accounting operations to meet legal, policy and donors’ requirements for non-profits. Our ideal candidate should be familiar with audits, invoices and budget preparations. S/he demonstrates interest in managing accounting activities, including bank reconciliations, accounts payable and accounts receivable. S/he should also have excellent organizational skills and be able to handle time-sensitive tasks. Ultimately, candidate will be responsible for the day-to-day management of our financial transactions and procedures.
Budget, accounting and bookkeeping:
- Support planning and coordination of the Yemen program and its activities
- Ensure implementation of policies and practices of the organization and those required by donors
- Maintain budget and track expenditures/transactions in the US and in Yemen
- Manage communications between the office in Yemen and the US
- Manage communications through media relations, social media etc.
- Help build positive relations within the team and external parties
- Schedule and organize meetings/events and maintain agenda
- Ensure technology is used correctly for all operations (video conferencing, presentations etc.)
- Prepare paperwork and order material
- Keep updated records and create reports or proposals
- Support growth and program development
Communications and public relations:
- Keep Headquarters fully informed of financial obligations/spending in Yemen.
- Develop and maintain excellent communication and working relationships with management in Yemen and the US.
- BSc degree in Finance, Accounting or Economics
- Proven work experience as a Finance Officer or similar role in a non-profit
- Solid knowledge of financial and accounting procedures
- Experience using financial software
- Advanced MS Excel skills
- Knowledge of financial regulations
- Excellent analytical and numerical skills
- Sharp time management skills
- Strong ethics, with an ability to manage confidential data
- Professional qualification as a CFA/CPA is considered a plus
- Fluency in Arabic and English languages
- Knowledge of MS Word and Excel
- Strong understanding of financial management concepts