Yemen Relief and Reconstruction Foundation (YRRF)
Position: Program Manager – Yemen
Location: Sana’a, Yemen
Reports to: Country Director – Yemen
Location: Sana’a - Yemen
Established in 2017, the Yemen Relief and Reconstruction Foundation aims to increase awareness among U.S. public and policymakers vis-à-vis the devastating humanitarian crisis in Yemen while supporting relief and reconstruction efforts and facilitating peace campaigns.
YRRF provides assistance and support to Yemeni families in desperate need. Through our network of local volunteers, we reach needy families in urban areas, remote villages and refugee camps. There are now an estimated 3.1 million people who have fled their homes, many of whom are now living in makeshift shelters in Yemen for the relative safety of these camps.
We are recruiting a Program Manager, based in Sana’a, Yemen, who will be responsible for managing and monitoring our project operations in Yemen. The position will provide guidance to the different services provided in Yemen in consultation with the YRRF President, ensuring that projects are carried out as planned. The Program Manager will also work with the Yemen team to ensure that projects meet objectives and comply with donor rules and regulations and with YRRF organizational policies. This position will work under the direct supervision of the President and in partnership with the Program Coordinator and Yemen Office Country Director.
Scope of Work
Given expanding YRRF activities in Yemen, this position will focus on building and strengthening the implementation of differing projects to ensure that objectives and budgets are met. This work will be conducted in collaboration with staff and volunteers in both Yemen and the U.S. Managing and monitoring YRRF’s projects in Yemen. Specific areas of responsibility and oversight will include:
- Formulating, organizing and monitoring inter-connected projects
- Deciding on suitable strategies and objectives
- Coordinating cross-project activities
The Program Manager will organize and coordinate our in-country programs and provide strategic guidance to teams and project managers in ways that promote the Foundation’s culture. S/he will also oversee the progress of operations.
The ideal candidate will be an excellent leader with experience in managing staff from different disciplines to produce results in a timely manner and develop efficient strategies and tactics to ensure that all programs deliver the desirable outcomes.
Management and Logistics:
- In coordination with the Yemen Office Country Director and the U.S.-based YRRF President, provide guidance for project implementation and financial management/accounting and ensure that these are aligned with our programmatic mission.
- Ensure that Yemini staff adhere to project plans and budgets and that all documentation and financial reporting requirements are met.
- Maintain a current understanding of implementation challenges which may cause delays and discuss issues with the President in an ongoing and timely manner.
- Ensure that required and critical support is provided to the staff and volunteers in order to guarantee accurate and timely delivery of all necessary supplies and resources.
- Provide guidance as needed and review project proposals and budgets to ensure compliance with YRRF guidelines and standard procedures for procurement of supplies.
- Monitor inter-connected projects.
- Coordinate cross-project activities.
- Lead and evaluate project officers and other staff.
- Develop and control deadlines, budgets and activities
- Apply change, risk and resource management.
- Assess program performance to maximize Return of Investment
- Resolve projects’ higher scope issues.
- Prepare reports for program directors.
Accounting and budgeting:
- Review budgets submitted for project activities in Yemen.
- Review and mange receipts for each project and maintain a filing system.
- Manage budgets for each Yemen project activity in coordination with Headquarters and the Yemen Office. Specifically, establish a timeframe and deadlines for completion of each project budget.
- Ensure that the implementation, maintenance, and documentation of project budgets adhere to sound financial policies and procedures.
- Ensure compliance with donor rules and regulations and generally accepted accounting principles.
Communications and public relations:
- Keep Headquarters fully informed of project activities in Yemen.
- Develop and maintain excellent communication and working relationships with volunteers and staff in Yemen.
- BSc/BA in Public Health, Business Management, Public Administration, or an equivalent degree and work experience in non-profit management, relief assistance, humanitarian assistance, disaster relief, work with refugees, or another related field. MSc/MA preferred.
- Minimum 10 years’ experience managing systems to strengthen programs.
- Proven experience in program management within a non-profit organization.
- Excellent problem-solving abilities.
- Demonstrated people skills, including a commitment to collaborative management within a team-based organizational structure and motivating staff and peers in a multi-cultural workforce where often no direct reporting relationships exist.
- Excellent speaking and writing skills in English and Arabic.
- Excellent organization, coordinating, and collaborative skills;
- Ability to be flexible and to solve problems creatively.
- Work experience in a developing country, preferably in conflict zones in Africa or Middle East.
- Excellent knowledge of performance evaluation, decision-making skills and ability to adapt to new and changing circumstances and environments.
- Excellent knowledge of MS Office; working knowledge of program/project management software (MS Project etc.) is a strong advantage.
- Outstanding leadership and organizational skills.
- Experience working with staff across multiple geographic locations is helpful.
- Ability to travel within Yemen, and if needed outside Yemen.