Job Title: Advocacy Officer
Job site: Yemen
Reporting to: Program Manager
Duration of Initial Contract: One year (extendable based upon performance and funding availability)
ABOUT Resonate! Yemen
Resonate! Yemen is a youth-run foundation aiming to bring the voices and ideas of young Yemenis to Yemen's public policy discourse and support youth action on issues of national and international significance. Resonate! Yemen Works on providing opportunities for young Yemenis to build policy analysis and civic leadership skills, and encouraging policymakers in Yemen to accept youth as major stakeholders in policy design and implementation.
The Advocacy Officer will lead on the advocacy strategy and manage the production of key advocacy products/activities. This involves close collaboration with the Program Manager, Project Officers, Media and Comms staff, and partner organizations, to identify Resonate! Yemen’s advocacy priorities, develop advocacy messaging, and advocate for policy and programmatic changes with local and national advocacy targets. The Advocacy Officer will ensure advocacy products reflect programmatic priorities and objectives, and are sensitive to contextual risks which could impact upon the response operations. All advocacy campaigns will be impartial, and represent the field needs from across the country.
- Lead advocacy strategy development and ensure the integration of advocacy priorities and activities.
- Develop short/longer-term advocacy objectives, utilizing research tools and reports that come from the field/ or as a result of other research outputs.
- Work closely with the project team to develop common thematic advocacy messages, and ensure that all advocacy messages, documents and strategies are evidence-based, of high quality, and authorized by the Project Manager.
- Propose well-grounded advocacy approaches for Resonate! programs.
- Work with Resonate!’s partner organizations to identify advocacy needs and support them to develop approaches to addressing these.
- Analyze policies and practices applied in Yemen to inform Resonate! briefing notes and policy papers;
- Ensure that advocacy materials, including talking points and key messages, are consistently updated and are of a high quality.
- Prepare high-quality reports, briefings, letters, and other materials for internal and external use, and take part in Resonate!’s representational and advocacy role.
- Research and keep updated on policy and political developments in Yemen as they relate to Resonate! programs and priorities.
- Provide administrative support where necessary and carry out other tasks as required.
- To invest in external relationships with government officials and other NGOs and INGOs to develop advocacy messages and tactics, and explore the potential of joint advocacy and lobbying work, around enabling youth engagement in public policy.
EXPERIENCE AND KNOWLEDGE
- A university degree in a related field.
- Experience of a range of campaigning and advocacy techniques and approaches.
- Experience working on policy or advocacy relating to development issues.
- Experience of project planning and project management.
- Sensitivity to cultural differences, and the ability to work in a wide variety of cultural contexts.
- Knowledge of the Yemeni social and political context.
- Proven analytical skills and ability to work with others to develop strategy into action and communicate this to a wider audience.
- Experience of successful teamwork: challenging, motivating, developing and inspiring team members.
- High-level of interpersonal and communications skills both oral and written. Fluency in written and spoken English is essential.
- Ability to work with significant levels of autonomy and make prompt and sound decisions.
- The ability to meet agreed deadlines in a stressful and fast paced environment will be critical.
- Demonstrable track record of leading change which has led to significant results for the organization and their stakeholders.
- Strong research and policy development skills
- Ability to travel to around Yemen.
To Apply, please send a copy of your resume / CV as well as a Cover Letter in English to email@example.com before 08 - July - 2020. Please clearly write the Position name that you are applying for in the Email subject.
Interested candidates are encouraged to apply as soon as possible and not wait until the closing date, as resumes will be reviewed as they are submitted and INTERVIEWS WILL BE CONDUCTED ON A ROLLING BASIS.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.