Ended Wathab Engineer
The International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) is an independent, neutral organization ensuring humanitarian protection and assistance for victims of war and armed violence. Please visit www.icrc.org for more information.
The ICRC is looking for a suitable candidate to fill the position of:
Wathab Engineer 1
Contract type: Fixed Term Contract for 1 year extendable.
Number of Posts: 1 Post
Duty Station: Sa’ada
WatHab Engineer 1 complements a team having already a WatHab Engineer 2 and a CPM. He plans, designs and implements the project for the new Physical Rehabilitation Centre (PRC) in Sa’ada within the scope of the ICRC’s water and habitat assistance objectives with supervision and coaching from his hierarchical superior (the Construction Project Manager 1 – CPM 1 and the WatHab Engineer 2).
He reviews drawings and BoQs, monitors on-site works, carries out needs assessments and surveys and participates in the resolution of all incoming technical queries.
He contributes to written reporting (WOR, quarterly activity report, statistics or other reports when required), which remains – however - major CPM’s responsibility. He has a close working relationship with external stakeholders related to their projects.
Accountabilities & Responsibilities
- Draws up documents (drawings, bills of quantities, contracts, etc.) for the Physical Rehabilitation Centre construction project using approved formats; monitors project implementation for compliance with project documents, ICRC standards, and local building codes/standards, ensuring corrective action is taken where necessary. Proficiency in the use of Microsoft Word, Excel and AutoCAD/ZWCAD is a must (70% during design phase – 30% expected during construction phase, including quality assurance regular inspections)
- Supervises – as site engineer – the contractors and suppliers working on the Physical Rehabilitation Centre project site and conducts quality control of infrastructure installed by the ICRC (up to 60% during construction phase).
- Provides support to his supervisors for technical evaluations and monitors with respect to drawings, specifications, standards, norms and local laws.
- Provides support in the financial management and monitoring of the project.
- He proposes or takes technical corrective and/or preventive measures when necessary.
- Creates project files in electronic databases (such as the WatHab Project Assistant application) and keeps them up to date.
- Prepares implementation/progress draft reports.
- Organizes meetings, provides translation to CPM, takes minutes and ensures follow-up.
- Provides regular information to colleagues on security, stakeholder issues and site progress.
- Manages project purchasing (when needed) on labour and materials according to the delegation's financial and logistic rules.
- Administers hand-over of ICRC-provided infrastructure to end-users, in cooperation with his supervisors.
- Trains or organizes training for end-users in the operation and maintenance of infrastructure installed by the ICRC.
- Uses results-based management to evaluate project implementation.
- Internally, daily contact with Sub-Delegation employees for the design and administration of Physical Rehabilitation Centre construction project and attendance to information/coordination meeting when required.
- Externally, minimum weekly phone or in-person contact and negotiation with project stakeholders (mainly our PRC Focal Point in Sa’ada and MoPHP engineers in Sana’a), external consultants, consultant site engineers, contractors and suppliers, as a representative of the ICRC.
Scope & Impact
- He is responsible for on-site follow-up and basic design of complex engineering projects, with supervision and guidance from WatHab Technician 3, WatHab Engineer 2 or 3, or the (Deputy) WatHab Coordinator.
- Works within the geographical remit of a sub-delegation or office.
- Manages technical support staff.
- University degree in civil, structural or hydrological/hydraulic engineering, architecture or similar.
- Excellent command (spoken and written) of local language(s).
- Excellent command (spoken and written) of English.
- Proficient in use of drawing software if working in construction and hydraulic engineering.
- Proficient in use of AutoCAD and MS project-management suite or equivalent.
Professional Experience Required
- 3-5 years' professional experience in a related field of activity.
- Good knowledge of water and sanitation or construction engineering.
- Experience managing 1–3 technical support staff.
- People management
- Team work & Collaboration
- Representing the ICRC
- Beneficiary & Client focused
- Interested candidates should send the following:
- A letter of motivation in English
- A detailed C.V. in English
- Copy only of the highest academic degree obtained + Work certificates
Please send your applications by email to email@example.com
indicating in the subject line: Wathab Engineer 1
Applications with no clear indication of the subject will not be considered
Deadline to send your application: 02.07.2020