Job Title: Nutrition Coordinator (Yemeni National)
Department: Program Department
Reports To: Program Manager
Location: Aden, Yemen
ABOUT GLOBAL COMMUNITIES
Global Communities is a global development organization committed to working in partnership with communities worldwide to bring about sustainable, impactful changes that improve the lives and livelihoods of the vulnerable. Development is not something we do for people; it is something we do with them. We believe that the people who understand their needs best are the community itself. Global Communities’ Department of Humanitarian Assistance (HA) has developed a strategy for the organization’s response to the Yemen crisis, anchored in a field presence. Specifically, HA is responding directly in Yemen, intensifying Global Communities’ assistance to vulnerable Yemenis. Global Communities, with its more than 60-year experience in over 80 countries, has the commitment to be a strong part of humanitarian response to Yemen by building up the capacity of vulnerable groups and strengthening their resilience to improve their living conditions with a long-lasting, positive and community-based change.
The Job Holder will be responsible for promoting community nutritional best practices to improve the nutritional content of household food purchases and utilization, particularly for vulnerable individuals, including children under 5 and PLW, as a complementary package to e-voucher food programming in south Yemen. These practices may include training and educating targeted beneficiaries in exclusive breastfeeding, optimal complementary feeding, hygienic cooking demonstrations, hygiene messaging, screening and referrals, hygiene and sanitation, and strengthening household dietary diversity.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Facilitate the development/validation of training curriculum and tools for community nutrition education and awareness.
- Support the design or adaption (if required) of information, education and communication (IEC) messages and materials, including Infant and Young Child Feeding in emergencies (IYCF-e) materials for nutrition messaging.
- Liaise with relevant ministries and other partners to ensure that nutrition education practices are comprehensively understood following set guidelines promoted by the project.
- Facilitate the identification and initial Training of Trainers (ToT) for the Nutrition Promoters in each targeted district consistent with the Nutrition Cluster and UNICEF IYCF training manuals.
- Supervise Nutrition Promoters in carrying out community based nutritional promotional activities targeting community groups. Activities will primarily include IYCF sessions, community feedback meetings and social mobilization toward overall objectives.
- Liaise and establish strong links with existing community structures including mother-to-mother support groups, community units, youth groups, village elders and religious leaders.
- Facilitate mass screening of women and child during nutrition sessions.
- Work with nutrition promoters to develop and maintain a referral system at the community level in which community health workers shall refer malnourished children and mothers needing special attention to the health facilities.
- Network and coordinate with the relevant sectors and agencies in implementing nutrition activities at national and community level.
- Write reports to document the process of implementation, lessons learned, and best practices to ensure information is widely disseminated.
- In close consultation with MEL, support the collection, processing and verification of reports/forms that are required to maintain program databases.
- Prepare monthly activity reports as well as quarterly donor reports.
- Due to the nature of the program’s activities, the above-mentioned tasks are indicative only and are subject to change. Other/additional tasks may be delegated to meet programmatic objectives.
- Other duties as assigned by supervisor.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s Degree in Health Sciences, Food and Nutrition or equivalent field is required.
- At least (3-4) years’ work experience at supervisory level in community nutrition work and implementation of nutrition education programs is required
- Previous working experience with INGOs/UN agencies implementing Community Nutrition projects in Yemen.
- Good Understanding of IYCF and community management of malnutrition.
- Proven capacity to supervise, train and coach local staff and Community Nutrition Promoters.
- Ability and willingness to frequently travel to the field.
- Fluent in written and verbal English and Arabic is required. Must be able to read and interpret documents, and communicate with others as necessary to perform job duties effectively.
- Proficient in standard Microsoft Office package (Word, Excel, Outlook) and typing.
- Ability to work under pressure and manage personal stress levels.
- Sense of neutrality and ability to work across Yemen, in cooperation with all parties to the conflict.
- Proven success in working with complex teams in difficult environments.
- Prior experience in the southern Governorates preferred.
From July 2020 until June 30, 2021 with possibility of extension.
- Application should consist of a one page cover letter and detailed resume or CV. Cover letter should include the applicant’s earliest date of availability to begin work with Global Communities.
- Resume or CV should include the applicant’s detailed work and educational history.
- Applications should be submitted to https://podio.com/webforms/21463955/1491567
- Applications submitted after 7 July 2020 will not be considered. Only short listed candidates will be contacted.