CARE International is currently seeking an Area Manager in Marib who will ensure high quality strategy design and program implementation in fragile contexts. The CARE Area Manager provides leadership, management and operational guidance to teams in defined geographic locations.
Position: Area Manager
The Area Manager oversees CARE’s management of financial and administration functions; the coordination of work between teams and people and with partners, and coherence among programming in the geographical area. Major responsibilities include performance management, capacity development, communication and information sharing both internally and externally; representation and liaising with local authorities, partners and donors; the development of new and innovative program initiatives; and emergency planning and preparedness. The Area Manager also supports the Assistant Country Director Programs with cultivation of potential donors, strategic partnerships and business opportunities. The Area Manager represents CARE at field level coordination forums and with local stakeholders including government (and de-facto) authorities, local business leaders, media and civil society leaders. As a member of the Yemen senior management team, the Area Manager is also a key contributor to CARE program strategy and organizational decisions.
- Provide leadership, direction, coaching, support and guidance to the staff in Sub Office and Field Offices where appropriate. Responsibilities include but are not limited to writing job descriptions, interviewing and selecting staff, orientating new staff, training, developing individual operating and development plans with staff and completing the annual appraisal and performance planning process, coordinating with Country Director, Assistant Country Director for Programs and Program Support Director.
- Ensure the systems of support and supervision are in place to create and maintain a healthy working environment that fosters employee engagement and inspired team performance.
- Responsible for Human Resource Management in designated governates and in coordination with the Human Resources Manager (HRM), ensure complete understanding of and compliance to HR policies and procedures at the field level.
- In coordination with the HRM, support human resources recruitment, orientation, development and retention.
- Closely observe staff performance/team spirit, provide appropriate feedback on a timely basis and take or recommend appropriate actions as necessary in coordination with the HR Manager to address any associated problems.
Representation, Liaising and Communications:
- Establish and maintain strong relationships with government officials, media, community representatives, counterpart organizations, the NGO community in general and CARE partners in particular in the defined geographical area and other areas as appropriate
- Ensure CARE is represented in the various forums held in their area and other locations as appropriate.
- Support Program staff in arranging field visits from donors and others.
- Represent CARE to donors and others in coordination with senior staff.
- Ensure field activities and initiatives are communicated to a broad audience by working with the media and information officers to develop and disseminate appropriate information internally and externally.
- Provide leadership to ensure that communication flows vertically and horizontally: within the field office team, from the field office to CARE Yemen’s other offices, and from these sources back to field office, enabling field office staff input into CARE’s strategic, programmatic and core management decision making, and ensuring that CARE wide information is available to and understood by staff in the field office.
- Represent CARE at field level coordination forums and with local stakeholders including government (and de-facto) authorities, local business leaders, media and civil society leaders.
- Ensure CARE’s accountability framework is fully understood and implemented by staff and partners, with procedures in place to ensure accountability to communities, partners, staff and donors.
- Ensure forward accountability mechanisms are in place and followed up on with communities and program participants.
- Oversee relationships with partners, ensuring mutually beneficial and equitable relationships and mechanisms for partners to hold CARE accountable are in place.
- Ensure that CARE’s resources are managed with the highest level of quality stewardship by working in close coordination with business services team, including developing and monitoring finance and administration systems and procedures as they apply to the field office and developing a system of checks and balances to ensure timely, appropriate finance and administration procedures
- Safeguard CARE’s assets in the field office by ensuring finance and administration policies and procedures are fully implemented, documented and filed; propose amendments and changes when necessary, and make sure that the office operates efficiently and effectively.
- Ensure CARE’s safety and security procedures are implemented in the sub & field offices working in close cooperation with the Safety and Security team.
- Review and provide advice to staff on sub-granting management in relation to administrative and finance issues.
- Ensure field level donor funded projects are managed in compliance with CI and donor policies and procedures.
- Ensure program implementation plans are in accordance with CARE Yemen strategic priorities and being implemented accordingly to programming principles.
- Ensure coherence of program initiatives in the assigned geography.
- In partnership with Assistant Country Director for Programs and Program Quality Coordinator, provide oversight and sign off on program plans and projects that are implemented in the assigned geography.
Strategic and Operational Management:
- Participate with other Senior Management Team members in the oversight and running of the CO.
- Actively participate with ideas, problem solving and innovative thinking at all SMT meetings
- Provide voluntary leadership and proactive support to SMT initiatives in establishing a learning culture throughout the organization.
- Follow-up on all tasks assigned
- Responsible for all Safety and Security related matters in designated governorates.
Management of Safety and Security and conflict sensitivity at the field level:
- In coordination with the CO S&S Unit, ensures that security management and preparedness plans are in place and regularly updated and being followed at the field level.
- In collaboration with the Field Office S&S Officer and the CO S&S team, ensure that CARE’s safety and security Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) are implemented in the Field level.
- Ensure all program staff are fully briefed on all aspects of security, social and cultural norms and local conditions and behavior.
- Responsible for promoting CARE’s acceptance and security and safety awareness for all staff in the area.
- Ensures that CARE is operating in a conflict sensitive manner.
- Masters (or equivalent in experience and formal training) in humanitarian development studies, international or rural development, civil society, public or business administration, management or the social sciences
- Managerial Certificates
- 7-10 years of experience in leading and managing people and teams in the development and/or humanitarian arena; preferably in societies experiencing social injustice or political conflict
- Experience working in fragile contexts
- Proven business accountability experience
- Managing people and teams within budget and spanning several planning cycles
- Project management experience in the development sector and effectiveness as a public figure working with community development
- Arabic language skills
- Strong English writing skills
Application Procedure: Interested applicants should send a CV (English) by July 7th , 2020 to email@example.com with the subject heading ‘Area Manager – Marib + Your full name’. Please do not apply unless you meet minimum application requirements, otherwise you will not be considered. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.