Ended SMC Officer
Job Title: SMC Officer
Classification Level: As per YRCS salary Scale.
Organizational Unit : Yemen Red Crescent Society (YRCS) HQ
Immediate Supervisor’s Title: Program Coordinator
Technical Manager’s Title : Program Coordinator
Duty Station: Amran Branch
Duration of Assignment: Initially 2 Months
Terms of employment: Employment is full time according to YRCS guidelines
Organizational context (where the job is located in the Organization)
The Yemen Red Crescent Society (YRCS) has been implementing various humanitarian services aiming at building resilient communities since its establishment in Yemen. YRCS strive to build the capacity of the communities to enable them to help themselves during both disasters/crisis and normal time. Taking into consideration of this the YRCS has developed its strategic plan guided by the following lessons learnt: only developing long term plan is not enough; working through strong partnerships and cross sectorial collaborations with government , Movement and UN partners; and building a strong and dynamic organization capable of delivering humanitarian services and facilitating the communities to empower themselves for humanitarian response, which clearly underscore the facts that further efforts need to be made for strengthening its institutional capacity and also diversify the partnership to deliver effective and efficient services at different level. The escalation of conflict in March 2015 has significantly increased role of YRCS HQs and branches to cater emergency health services to save lives of vulnerable population.
The YRCS strategic plan has set a vision “protect human dignity, save lives and promote the wellbeing of vulnerable people”. In line with its vision, a mission statement has been developed along with five strategic objectives to build resilient communities through various development initiatives primarily in the field of Health/ Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH), Disaster Management (DM), Protection Management .
Under the supervision of the Program Coordinator, the SMC Officer will dedicate 100% of his/her time leading, coordinating and ensuring the high quality implementation of YRCS Program activities in Amran Governorates. The SMC Officer will be in charge of coordinating closely with stakeholders and beneficiaries in the targeted governorates and ensure the appropriate implementation of all programs activities in the field. This position is based in YRCS Amran Branch, and reports directly to Programs Coordinator
Job duties and responsibilities
Management of mobile SMC team
- Devise daily and weekly work plans for mobile team activities, with the support of the CCCM Officer
- Timely reporting of problems and challenges in the sites to CCCM Officer
- Timely reporting of security and safety incidents or risks to CCCM Officer
Partner coordination and service monitoring
- Liaise and coordinate with all humanitarian partners and stakeholders working in the sites, on a day-to-day basis
- Liaise and coordinate with local authorities, on a day-to-day basis
- Monitor service provision at site level, including through observation and assessment
Community participation and representation
- Organize and chair regular meetings between community representatives and humanitarian agencies, taking minutes of meetings and attendance sheets
- Work with the CCCM Officer to establish community committees in the sites, ensuring representation and participation of women, youth, and marginalized groups
- Support organization of trainings to community committees, humanitarian agencies, and community members, on topics including on protection, fire response, and SMC
Communication with communities and accountability
- Establish and then oversee YRCS Communications with Communities (CwC) activities in the sites, including regular outreach to the community and information campaigns
- Support community mobilization efforts or information campaigns of community representatives or other humanitarian agencies as needed
- Compile regular reporting from partners on their activities in the sites
- Conduct and oversee regular data collection, including on service
- availability and standards in the sites
- Ensure all reports and data submitted by the SMC team are timely and accurate
- Participate in assessment and data collection exercises as needed
- Ensure information is shared back with partners and communities
- Consider gender, protection, and GBV concerns in all aspects of activities
- Promote and adhere to YRCS’s Prevention of Sexual Exploitation and Abuse policy
- Promote participation and representation of women, youth, people with specific needs, and marginalized groups in all SMC and partner activities
- Support establishment of referral mechanisms, in collaboration with protection partners
- Support vulnerable persons including through referral to protection partners, and coordination of support at specific events (e.g. distributions, registration)
- Ensure confidentiality is respected in all activities
Transparency & compliance
- Ensure accurate record-keeping of project documentation, and timely submission of regular reporting to the CCCM Officer
- Support Shelter/Infrastructure and WASH teams, as needed, to conduct regular assessment of site infrastructure and ensure
- participation of the community in identifying and implementing works
- Any additional task as requested by the line manager
- College / University, Bachelor's degree
- Academy college / University
- At least 2 years’ experience in a project implementation position in an NGO;
- Excellent communication and external representation skills;
- Excellent capacity to plan, prioritize, and multitask;
- Excellent team-working skills
- Flexible, with the ability to cope with stressful situations;
- Good computer literacy, including use of smartphones and MS Office (Word and Excel);
- Good English skills, both oral and written
- Knowledge of multi-sectoral humanitarian response, including Protection, WASH, Shelter, and emergency distribution is required
- Experience in SMC programming is strongly preferred
- Experience in Protection programming is of benefit
- Red Cross Red Crescent work experience, including disaster management/Protection management; work experience with I/NGOs.
- Fluency in English, both written and oral.
- Excellent communication skills and ability to deliver lively training in English/Arabic.
- Sound interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills, with in particular the ability to write concise, accurate reports in easily-understood language.
- Political and cultural awareness.
Interested candidates should send their Cover Letter & CVs in English to both email
“Please mention the Position and Duty Station on your email Subject”