Ended Communications Assistant
Open to Internal and External Candidates
Position: Communications Assistant
Organizational Unit: PDSU (Media & Communication Unit)
Duty Station: Yemen, Aden
IOM Classification: M5
Type of Appointment: Special Short-Term (SST) MPH Contract, 3 Months (With a possibility of renewal)
SVN No. : CFCV2020/097
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
Closing Date: Sunday 12 July 2020
Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Internal and external candidates are eligible to apply to this vacancy. For the purpose of the vacancy, internal candidates are considered as first-tier candidates.
Organizational Context and Scope:
Under the overall supervision of the Head of Sub-Office and the direct supervision of the PSU Office in coordination with the Media and Public Relations Officer in Sana’a, the Communications Assistant is responsible for the following functions:
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Create and disseminate public information products (audio, visual, written and verbal) on IOM’s response in Yemen with a particular focus on work carried out via the Organization’s Aden sub-office. This includes capturing and editing high quality images and videos highlighting the context in which IOM works as well as its activities.
- Support creation and maintenance of digital and other content for IOM Yemen’s and IOM’s various platforms, including social media and websites.
- Facilitate and conduct interviews with beneficiaries and other persons relevant to IOM’s communications.
- Maintain and catalogue IOM Yemen’s communications products, media contact lists, content calendars and archives.
- Support the organization of public events to promote the visibility of IOM’s operations in Yemen.
- Support the communications and visibility components of IOM projects, including monitoring of project visibility plans in line with donors’ visibility guidelines and supporting operations units with field visibility.
- Support the production process of communication and publications products by closely liaising with service vendors (printing companies, production house etc.) to ensure high quality of final products.
- Support engagement with local media.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience
Qualification from an accredited academic institution preferably in communications, public relations, filmmaking, photography or a related field.
- Minimum five years of experience (three years for University degree holders) in the field of communication and media, and creation of creation of visual content.
English and Arabic
Oromia, Amharic and Somali is advantageous.
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 1
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Only candidates residing in the country of the duty station within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, national of the country with automatic right to live and work in the country, and security clearances.
Female with the above qualifications are encouraged to apply.
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via the following link
All applications should include a functional email address, mobile numbers and detailed curriculum vitae (CV).
“Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted”
Posting period: 29 June 2020 to 12 July 2020