TITLE: Finance Manager
Handicap International is an independent and impartial international aid organization working in situations of poverty and exclusion, conflict and disaster. Working alongside persons with disabilities and other vulnerable groups, our action and testimony are focused on responding to their essential needs, improving their living conditions and promoting respect for their dignity and their fundamental rights. Handicap International is a not-for-profit organization with no religious or political affiliation. More information can be found at http://www.handicap-international.org
GLOBAL OBJECTIVE OF THE POSITION
Under the line management of the Area Manager, the Finance Manager is ensuring that all the finance procedures and rules implemented in the mission are handled according to Handicap International standards, Yemeni regulations and donor rules.
He/she ensures an efficient finance support to the team in Yemen in order to facilitate the implementation of the budgets for program and support activities.
According to the position, the Finance manager must keep all the data confidential, and share it only with the accurate persons.
Line manager: Area Manager
Line manager + 1: Head of Mission
Team managed: Finance Assistant
RESPONSIBILITIES AND TASKS DESCRIPTION
- Ensure that local legislation is respected and that a legal framework is established for all finance activities
- Liaise with the relevant fiscal and tax authorities in Yemen to ensure Handicap International is accomplishing all legal an internal rules on this matter in the country
- Develop and maintain relations at the administrative level with external actors (bank account executives, suppliers, other international NGOs, etc.)
- Supervise the preparation and approve the payment of all taxes on salary and social security
- Carry out finance briefings for new staff
- Write and translate letters for the finance department English and Arabic, and Arabic/English when needed
- Translate in oral English to and Arabic/English when needed
2. Implementation of financial procedures
- Ensure the existing financial procedures are respected (check bills, purchase orders, quotations…) in Aden and in the sub bases
- Approved PSR in accordance with the procurement procedures of the mission
- Support program and logistic teams in all financial issues/difficulties
- Ensure the good use of funds according to HI and donor guidelines
- Ensure the accomplishment of financial and accountancy deadlines
- Prepare and support audit requirements or possible inspections made by auditors in the field or from HQ
- Provide trainings to managers and department heads as required to ensure all staff are knowledgeable on internal financial procedures
- Support the sub base opening and running in all financial issues/difficulties
3. Cash flow Management (Bank and Cash)
- Supervise the management of petty cash by Finance Assistant doing regular and sporadic cash counts to ensure the well use of the funds
- Ensure the management of the bank book and bank account and deal with the bank manager when needed
- Limit cash flow shortage by anticipating cash and money change needs
- Based on all department’s needs, prepare the monthly cash request to send to the coordination in the form and deadline defined
- Approve payments done in the field ensuring they are under financial procedures and in line with the project activities
- Support the management of the cash flow of the sub base
- Ensure that all payment documents are properly filled (GAP code, designation, budget lines, etc…).
- Ensure the validity, quality and eligibility of the invoices (quality of invoices, validation, and translation).
- Ensure Finance team in Aden and in the sub base are following and respecting the financial procedure before payments and integration of information in Navision
- Carry out cash reconciliation and bank reconciliation.
- Close accountancy in Navision (advance settlement, cash and bank balances) for all south bases
- Prepare the monthly sending of the accountancy to the coordination doing the controls and checks to assure the quality of the accountancy, information and documentation sent
- Prepare any financial reporting requested by authorities (government, ministries…) to be validated by Finance Coordinator before submission
5. Budget management
- Follow and ensure South finance team is registering expenses according to the Operational follow up and to the allocation table of South base
- Organize and participate actively in the monthly budget follow-up meeting, giving feedback to the team about forecasting expenses, alerting on under/over spending, guiding budget holders on financial issues and warning about potential issues in the execution of committed or forecast expenses
- Coordinate with logistic department for up-dating the purchase and service follow-up and the equipment follow-up
- Support the Finance Coordinator with accurate information for the preparation of budget proposals, donor reports, etc
6. Team Management
- Brief and train his/her team on technical issues related with their job
- Finance Manager ensures the strict application and respect of the Internal Regulations by his/her related staff
- Ensure feed back towards the team under his/her supervision about issues potentially raised by them
- Ensure a good communication – coordination – information level of each member of his/her team through regular coordination meetings (or other if needed)
- Finance Manager is concerned and aware on the personal and professional evolution of each member of his/her staff, and its development within the mission: individual interviews, oral and written evaluations, regular appraisals
- Ensure conflict resolution (personal and professional) within the team
- Follow the filing system archives for finance (hard and soft copies). Ensure that back-up of Finance computers are being done regularly
- Do a weekly back-up of the info on his/her computer
- Strictly follows to the mission security plan and safety and security instructions given by Security Officer, Area Manager or Head of Mission. Report any security incident to his/her line manager
Note that this job description must remain flexible, to respond to additional tasks or changes as identified by the line manager.
Information being accessed by the Finance Manager due to his/her position within the organization is strictly confidential. Any breach of confidentiality will be considered a gross misconduct.
The normal working hours are the following:
- 8.00am to 4.30pm from Sunday to Friday. However, Due to nature of duty, flexibility in working hours is expected.
Yemen mission takes place in a sensitive environment regarding security of Handicap International staff and assets. Handicap International employee commits to observe utmost respect of personal and professional ethics, to adhere to principles of neutrality and impartiality, and to ensure necessary levels of discretion within and outside working space. Not respecting this clause will lead to disciplinary action and have immediate dismissal as a result.
Any breach of the above mentioned responsibilities, of the Internal Regulation or of Terms and Conditions of Engagement may be sanctioned by a written warning or immediate dismissal if appropriate.
- The salary will be defined according to HI’s existing salary scale
- Based in Aden, with frequent movements to the field
- 30 day leave/year + benefits (transport allowance, health insurance, life insurance)
- The working hours are the following: 8:00 to 16:30 (with 30 minutes’ lunch break) from Sunday to Thursday.
- Note that working time can go up to 48 hours per week (according to the Yemen labor law) if it is required by the volume of activities and by the line manager.
- Interested candidates may please send their CV with cover letter in English, with the reference in the email subject: YEME/HR/2020/SUPP/FINMANG/ADEN+ Applicant full name
Deadline for applications is 11:30 pm on (Wednesday 8th July 2020)
- Please address all applications to: email@example.com
- Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Handicap International, is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages qualified female and male candidates, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of our organization. Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.