WASH Team Leader
WASH Team Leader
Duty Station [Dhamar]
Who are we?
The Danish Refugee Council (DRC) is an International non-governmental organization, which promotes and supports durable solutions to the problems faced by refugees and internally displaced people in over 30 countries around the world. DRC has been operating in East Africa and Yemen (EAY) region for over a decade, running a combination of emergency, livelihood, protection and advocacy programs through Country Offices (COs) in Kenya, Somalia, Ethiopia/Djibouti, Yemen and Uganda/Tanzania with a Regional Office (RO) in Nairobi.
DRC, through its specialized business unit, Danish Demining Group (DDG) aims to recreate a safe environment where people can live without the threat of landmines, unexploded ordinances and small arms and light weapons”. These goals can be effectively advanced through cooperation and joint action with other organization as well as with integration of operations and programs with its sister organization, DRC.
About the job
The Danish Refugee Council (DRC) has been providing relief services at worldwide since 1956, and working in Yemen since 2008 responding to the protection, WASH and Livelihoods needs of IDPs, migrants, children and local communities in collaboration with key national and international agencies. The WASH team Leader at Dhamar Governorate is a critical position to provide the above services.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Co-ordinate and work with government authorities, local government institutions, non-governmental organizations, community-based organizations and local communities in order to ensure the smooth execution of projects’ activities.
- Ensure the buy-in and participation of local communities in projects’ activities.
- Participate in coordination meetings and share information with external stakeholders as appropriate.
Implementation of projects:
- Oversee the design and implementation of related surveys and other data collection activities.
- Supervise technical assessments of project’s to determine options and select best solutions based on technical, cost criteria and community priorities.
- Develop/Review BoQs and drawings and procure technical services in line with DRC contracting procedures.
- With the MEAL team, develop and implement mechanisms to monitor projects performance, in consultation with local stakeholders, against work plans and project targets.
Leadership and technical support tasks:
- Identify and prepare ToRs and contracts for technical consultants, as needed.
- Provide technical support and capacity building for the team members at field level.
- Follow-up projects budget, including monthly review of expenditures, ensuring that funds are used for approved purposes and in accordance with DRC requirements.
- Monitor/supervise technical interventions to ensure they are implemented according to agreed standards and within budget / take appropriate remedial action if/when these standards are not being met.
- Ensure that the projects are implemented in accordance with DRC and donor policies and procedures.
- Prepare regular and ad hoc reports, as needed, and attend DRC regular meetings.
- Ensure staff compliance with DRC’s Code of Conduct and humanitarian accountability requirements.
- Liaise regularly with partners and represent DRC in sub-cluster and partners’ meetings.
- Contribute to proposal writing and donor reporting.
To be successful in this role you must have:
All DRC roles require the post-holder to master DRC’s core competencies:
- Striving for excellence: Focusing on reaching results while ensuring efficient processes.
- Collaborating: Involving relevant parties and encouraging feedback.
- Taking the lead: Taking ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
- Communicating: Listening and speaking effectively and honestly.
- Demonstrating integrity: Upholding and promoting the highest standards of ethical and professional conduct in relation to DRC’s values and Code of Conduct, including safeguarding against sexual exploitation, abuse and harassment.
- DRC different sectors;
- WASH Cluster and its partners;
- Local authorities and community leaders;
Moreover we also expect the following:
- University degree in civil engineering.
- At least 2 years of direct experience in WASH projects.
- Solid planning, budgeting, M&E and computer skills.
- Solid team leading skills
- Excellent social/diplomacy skills
- Self-motivated and able to work with a minimum of guidance.
- INGO experience preferred.
- Excellent English language (written and spoken)
- Excellent report writing skills including editing the work of others.
- Fluency in Arabic language (written and spoken)
DRC will offer the successful applicant a 6 months contract, renewable dependent on both funding and performance.
Salary and conditions will be in accordance with Danish Refugee Council’s Terms of Employment for Expatriates; please refer to www.drc.ngo under Vacancies. This position will be placed at level (G).
Interested? Then apply for this position by clicking on the link below.
All applicants must send a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages). Both must be in the same language as this vacancy note. CV only applications will not be considered.
If you have questions or are facing problems with the online application process, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications closing date 9thJule, 2020
Need further information?
For more details on this position please contact email@example.com
Please note that applications sent directly to [firstname.lastname@example.org] will not be considered.
For further information about the Danish Refugee Council, please consult our website www.drc.ngo