Information Management (IM) & GIS Officer
The HALO Trust is the world’s largest humanitarian demining organization. HALO is a non-governmental, non-political, non-religious organization headquartered in the UK. HALO’s mission is to protect lives and restore the livelihoods of those affected by conflict. We clear landmines and the explosive debris of war so communities and countries can recover.
HALO is an equal opportunities employer, and will not discriminate against any candidate on the basis of age, sex, ethnicity, religion, or any other characteristic. All recruitment is conducted in a transparent manner, with selection made solely on the basis of ability. Women and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
JOB TITLE: Information Management (IM) & GIS Officer
REPORTING TO: Programme Officer
The IM/GIS Officer is primarily responsible for the management, maintenance and analysis of programme operational data, and the production of accurate, informative mapping to assist humanitarian demining operations. Strong IM and GIS is fundamental to HALO mine action operations - the IM/GIS Officer is the means by which HALO’s operational activities are properly recorded, understood, and analyzed. The IM/GIS Officer will, after training, be expected to fully grasp the range of HALO mine action operational activities and the relevant data and information produced. At the early stage of HALO operations in Yemen, they will be responsible for building the foundations of HALO’s IM, GIS and monitoring and evaluation (M&E) capabilities. The IM/GIS Officer is a senior staff position, and over time will be expected to manage junior IM/GIS and monitoring and evaluation (M&E) staff.
Candidates with a higher degree of information management skills and experience relative to GIS are preferred.
The IM/GIS Officer is responsible for:
- Designing and maintaining scalable internal IM systems to ensure accurate and efficient collection and storage across a range of operational data
- Management of HALO Yemen’s data input to HALO’s Global Operations Information Management System (GO-IMS)
- Establishing a clear data flow with stated quality assurance and control mechanisms to ensure accuracy Design and implementation of mobile data collection forms and dataflows to assist efficient and effective field-level operations
- With the Programme Officer, designing and implementing suitable M&E tools to assist the programme understand the humanitarian impact of its operations
- Design and maintenance of programme databases and datasets as required
- Designing and implementing training sessions with operational and support staff in the use of physical and digital/mobile data collection techniques
- With Operations Management, quality control of all operational data from mine clearance, mine risk education, explosive ordnance disposal, and other activities
- Production and maintenance of programme ArcGIS shapefiles containing all geospatial data related to HALO mine action operations
- Production of accurate, informative and creative mapping using ArcGIS and Google Earth to inform and guide operations
- Production of maps, infographics and other data visualisation to accompany donor reports, presentations and for other external publications and uses
- Use HALO internal data, open source, and other data with IM and GIS tools to produce analysis of the presence and impact of mines and other explosives in Yemen
- Ensure HALO monthly operational data is submitted accurately and on time to Information Management System for Mine Action (IMSMA), the national database owned by the Yemen Mine Action Coordination Centre (YMACC)
- Use other platforms (e.g. PowerBI) for monitoring and evaluation of HALO operations and internal data and metrics
- Assist in the production of training materials for mine risk education
- Assist with general programme ICT requirements and maintenance, liaising with senior staff and HALO Global ICT department
- Assist with general programme communications systems alongside Operations department
REQUIREMENTS – ESSENTIAL
- Advanced database management skills with fluency in PostgreSQL (or Microsoft SQL, MySQL) and MS Access
- Bachelor’s degree minimum in Computer Science, Information Systems, GIS or related discipline Minimum three years’ IM or data management experience within INGO or commercial sector Advanced spoken and written English with strong communication skills
- Experience in the use of GIS products, especially ArcGIS, ArcMap and Google Earth Experience in the use of mobile data collection tools such as Survey123, Fulcrum, Kobo Excellent interpersonal and analytical skills with meticulous attention to details.
- Ability to work effectively in a team in a culturally diverse environment. Ability to work well under stress and in a fast-paced environment.
- Excellent time management skills and ability to multi-task and prioritize work. Strong organizational, planning, and problem solving skills.
- Commitment to HALO’s Values and Standards at all times, in and out of work
- Commitment to HALO’s Global and National Policies, including Safeguarding & Whistleblowing.
REQUIREMENTS – NON-ESSENTIAL
Prior experience in mine action
To apply please Submit a CV (two pages maximum) and cover letter (one page maximum) to firstname.lastname@example.org CVs must include at least two professional references
Please mention the job title in the subject line of the email.
Closing date: Thursday 9 July 2020
Shortlisted candidates will be invited to interview