Ended Operations Assistant
The HALO Trust is the world’s largest humanitarian demining organization. HALO is a non-governmental, non-political, non-religious organization headquartered in the UK. HALO’s mission is to protect lives and restore the livelihoods of those affected by conflict. We clear landmines and the explosive debris of war so communities and countries can recover.
HALO is an equal opportunities employer, and will not discriminate against any candidate on the basis of age, sex, ethnicity, religion, or any other characteristic. All recruitment is conducted in a transparent manner, with selection made solely on the basis of ability. Women and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
JOB TITLE: Operations Assistant
LOCATION: Aden, with field travel
REPORTING TO: Operations Officer
The Operations Assistant (OA) supports the safe and efficient planning, execution and coordination of HALO’s mine action operations in Yemen. The OA supports operations managers and employees through a variety of tasks related to translation/interpretation, monitoring, recording and reporting of operational activities. Responsible for prioritizing the safety and productivity of field teams. Coordinates with YEMAC Liaison Officer. Familiar with a variety of the field's concepts, practices and procedures.
Ability to effectively communicate via phone, WhatsApp and email ensuring that all OA duties are completed accurately and delivered with high quality and in a timely manner. May direct and lead the work of others. Rely on experience and judgment to plan and accomplish goals and a wide degree of creativity and latitude is expected. Typically reports to the Operations Officer, and above to Operations Manager.
The role would especially suit graduates in science, engineering or maths. Graduates in these fields are encouraged to apply.
The OA is responsible for:
- Facilitating communication between the Operations Officers and Operations Managers and the field teams through live English-Arabic translation and vice versa
- Accompanying the Operations staff on field visits
- Preparing task books, facilitating field data collection, and working with the IM & GIS Officer to maintain clear and accurate records of activities and outputs.
- Supporting the planning and coordination of operations and team deployment Assisting with drafting operational work plans and reports
- Monitoring and logging daily team movements and activities and communicating any problems Collecting, recording and filing information about explosive ordnance found and sites visited, including pictures
- Assisting international Programme Officer with donor reporting, mainly through the collection of case studies, photos and other media from the field
- Assisting with the hosting of internal and external visits
- Assisting in monitoring the security situation and planning security arrangements for the teams Coordinating with the YEMAC Liaison Officer and assisting with the preparation of materials for meetings Translating documents as required by Operations or other senior management
- Attend meetings on HALO’s behalf as and when required
- Performing any other functions reasonably expected as requested by senior management
REQUIREMENTS – ESSENTIAL
- Advanced spoken and written English. Bachelors degree minimum
- Previous translation or interpreting experience.
- Excellent interpersonal and analytical skills with meticulous attention to details.
- Strong computer literacy, with proficiency in Microsoft Office and mobile communication applications Ability to work effectively in a team in a culturally diverse environment.
- Ability to work well under stress and in a fast-paced environment.
- Excellent time management skills and ability to multi-task and prioritize work. Good problem solving skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills. Strong organizational and planning skills.
- Commitment to HALO’s Values and Standards at all times, in and out of work
- Commitment to HALO’s Global and National Policies, including Safeguarding & Whistleblowing.
REQUIREMENTS – NON-ESSENTIAL
Prior experience in an operational field role Prior experience in mine action
To apply please submit a CV (two pages maximum) and cover letter (one page maximum) to firstname.lastname@example.org CVs must include at least two professional references
Please mention the job title in the subject line of the email.
Closing date: Thursday 9 July 2020
Shortlisted candidates will be invited to interview