Field WASH Engineer Assistant (3)
Field WASH Engineer Assistant (3)
Terms of Reference
Reports to: Field WASH Engineer/Project Manager
Duration: 19 Months
Organization & Background:
A humanitarian, independent, non-profit, non-governmental organization that works across Yemen. The organization provides direct assistance for conflict-affected populations, IDPs, host communities and vulnerable groups in the conflict areas. The organization, in partnership with international agencies, takes action during crisis situations, and goes the extra mile to engage in other contexts where its competencies will add value. The organization promotes durable solutions for conflict-affected populations and helps to restore services, education, economic, wellbeing and health.
The Field WASH Engineer Assistant is responsible for supporting the technical WASH Team in the implementation wash and rehabilitation projects and providing technical training for beneficiaries. Also, supporting in the identification, design, implementation, monitoring and reporting on the progress of water sources rehabilitation, rehabilitation of health facilities and CFW sites in the assigned districts. S/he is Responsible for day-to-day field management, supervision and provision of regular technical backstopping to WASH and Community projects in addition to provision of needed technical support.
- In collaboration with the Civil & water and WASH engineers, assess the CFW sites, water and community assets and facilities for rehabilitation requirements
- Develop detailed bills of quantities (BOQ) and drawings for the construction/Rehabilitation works required at the sanitation facilities in the HFs, CFW sits water assets, water networks systems, based on assessment and program requirements.
- Assist in Developing rehabilitation and construction project budget estimates
- Work with Civil & water and WASH engineers to draw up works tender documents and provide technical support to Bid Committees
- Assist to supervise the construction/rehabilitation process, ensuring that it is completed within timelines and according to approved BOQs
- Where necessary, take samples for laboratory testing of materials and workmanship
- Assist in ensuring that variations are approved by WASH Engineer according to the organization’s procedures before giving work order to the contractor.
- Verify incoming materials are of the highest quality and from acceptable country of origin
- Certify achievement of contractual milestones, and provide report to Civil & water and WASH engineers so payment to contractors can be processed
- Assist to develop and implement safety standard checklists ensuring that children’s safety is central
- Assist to seek and obtain appropriate government sign-off on works at the critical stages; especially at the start and completion
- As appropriate, ensure that the contractor maintains proper inventory control systems of commodities/goods transactions
- Write and submit weekly activity reports and filed visit reports at critical points of the construction/rehabilitation works.
- Execute implementation of all WASH infrastructure activities as per implementation plan, BOQs, drawings and specifications.
- Maintain material record at construction sites and ensure quality of all material arrived on all sites.
- Monitor and supervise WASH activities and CFW activities and ensure effective implementation according to the project plan.
- Ensure all WASH infrastructure activities are well coordinated with local authorities (LWSC) and all stakeholders, also ensure integration of engineering activities with hygiene promotion activities.
- Identify project supplies needs Prepare requisitions and coordinate with operation team to ensure materials arrive timely to work site.
- Ensure community participation in all WASH infrastructure activities.
- Technical Training of WASH committees and volunteers.
- Conducting water quality analysis in the field locations and updating water quality reports, also to propose recommendations for the water treatment systems.
- Validate the progress and quality of work of the contractors, and make the connection with the administration and logistics to ensure their payments are done well on time.
- Regular visits to field areas to supervise all WASH and CFW rehabilitation and construction activities and ensuring quality of all WASH infrastructures.
- Supervise and provide technical support to CLTs team and beneficiaries while implementing the CLTs activities.
- As required, support emergency planning processes and response in regards to WASH.
Assessment and Project Design:
- Participates in WASH engineering assessments including needs, technical evaluations of water sources and sanitation infrastructure, CFW sites.
- Carries out WASH engineering/hardware data collection as required.
Planning and Implementation:
- Liaises with the WASH engineer to plan and implement water and sanitation activities as well as CFW activities in the field.
- Suggest new methods and approaches in order to improve the quality of water and sanitation activities in the field.
- Works with and supervises partners, contractors, suppliers, construction workers etc. on engineering aspects of the WASH projects.
- In consultation with the WASH engineer offers WASH and CFW related technical oversight for the WASH and FSL Program at field level.
- Responds to and records beneficiary WASH technical/hardware feedback and complaints at field level.
- Prepares and shares with the supervisor weekly implementation plans.
Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning:
- Monitor and report on the Water, Sanitation and CFW activities in the field ensuring there is compliance with the plans and the organization standards.
- Report all gender and protection related concerns to the WASH engineer or the gender focal persons.
- Prepares and shares all relevant WASH engineering field reports and documents as required.
- Monitor water and sanitation facilities acceptance and beneficiary satisfaction
- Explore opportunities and share potential for expansion of WASH project.
Coordination and Representation:
- Works with WASH field officer – HP to mobilize communities and community leaders for the building materials, construction activities and maintenance of WASH structures.
- Engaged in formation of community committees and water management
- Organize and coordinate meetings on construction related issues when required
- Support WASH team leader in communication with district and local authorities about construction, land and site assessment.
Training, Capacity Building and Other Duties:
- Participate and lead in developing training material for community-based project construction, monitoring and maintenance
- Conduct sessions with other WASH staff to discuss construction needs, community participation and to ensure quality construction work.
- Provide technical support and training of community volunteers, members of WASH committees, governmental staff on how to use and maintain the CFW sites, water and sanitation facilities.
Qualifications & Experiences:
- Bachelor degree in Civil Engineering or any related field.
- 2 years’ relevant experience in the same field.
- Experience at preparing various engineering reports.
- Knowledge and understanding of construction management.
- Experience in preparing Bill of Quantity (BOQ) and budgets.
- Experience in implementing Cash for Work and or Voucher Cash Transfer is preferred.
- 1-2 years of experience in field-related activities, specially, in the field of cash/food for work in the rural areas.
- Experience in working with water and sanitation projects in a humanitarian/recovery context
- Thinking both creatively and logically to resolve design and development problems.
- Ability to explain design ideas and plans clearly.
- Willing and capable of adopting a questioning attitude.
- Good level of English language both spoken and writing
- Experience or knowledge of working and living in relevant regions/contexts.
- NGO or humanitarian work experience.
Interested candidates are invited to submit their updated CVs to firstname.lastname@example.org by August 8, 2020 at the latest, mentioning the job title in the subject line. Emails without such indication will not be considered.
Interviews will be conducted on a ROLLING BASIS, and based on urgency, we may fill the position prior to the closing date. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.