Ended Senior Database Officer
ACTED Organization Summary:
Since 1993, as an international non-governmental organization, ACTED has been committed to immediate humanitarian relief to support those in urgent need and protect people’s dignity, while co-creating longer term opportunities for sustainable growth and fulfilling people’s potential.
ACTED endeavors to respond to humanitarian crises and build resilience; promote inclusive and sustainable growth; co-construct effective governance and support the building of civil society worldwide by investing in people and their potential. ACTED is active in 37 countries and implements more than 450 projects a year reaching over 8 million beneficiaries with 400 international staff and 4,300 national staff.
ACTED has been present in Yemen since early 2012 and has been anchored to the governorates of Hodeidah, Raymah, Ibb, Aden-Dhalee, Saadah and Al Jawf.
Through its comprehensive programming ACTED has been covering the full continuum of emergency, rehabilitation and development in Yemen. Emergency activities have focused in the sectors of Agriculture & Food Security (e.g. distribution of crop seeds, and livestock), Economic Recovery and Market Systems (e.g. income-generating activities such as cash for work), and WASH (e.g. rehabilitation of water supply facilities, hygiene promotion). ACTED’s food security activities include distribution of food vouchers, which are a key component of ACTED’s interventions in the country.
ACTED Organization is pleased to announce the below job vacancy with the following details:
Position: Senior Database Officer
Contract Type: Fixed term
Contract Duration: 6 months
Duties and Responsibilities
1. Database Management System and Strategy Implementation
- Develop and or refine the ACTED Yemen country’s database strategy to ensure project data is effectively collected, entered, clean, and presented to support decision making and proposals.
- Maintain the country’s central and project-specific databases, utilizing the support and contributions of base-level database officers.
- Ensure all data is entered and updated in the databases and tables; ensure the country’s KOBO account is up-to-date and all assessments are properly filed and labelled.
- Support the AMEM/AME Officer and Monitors/Surveyors in ensuring that data is collected in a timely and accurate manner according to the reporting and monitoring requirements;
- Check the quality of the data submitted by field staff;
- Liaise with field staff regarding missing data, eventual mistakes, data discrepancies and/or inconsistencies;
- Ensure proper filing of hard and soft copies of survey questionnaires, lists of beneficiaries or other data collection tools or documents on base-level by database officers;
- Maintain and further develop the structure or format of the databases as required to be harmonized across ACTED programming;
- Implement proper backup, restore, data validation, and security procedures to ensure data integrity and availability;
2. Database team supervision and support
- Provide a database technical support to ACTED AME/database teams, and troubleshoot both hardware and software issues.
- Ensure all database team members have a weekly plan and coordinate assignments across bases
- Conduct annual appraisals and identify areas of strengths and improvement
- Provide capacity building to database, AME, and program staff on mobile data collection tools, methods, and data cleaning/analysis
3. Data Analysis
- Guide base-level database staff to complete coding/digitization of AME the assessment tools and normalize data upon data entry/collection
- Cross-check and verify the accuracy of the data collected during assessment as well as flag any issues to relevant departments through spot checks of data cleaning processes.
- In collaboration with the AME Officer, provide data analysis of projects’ activities and assessment data;
- Support the improvements of the data collection tools and processes and pilot new ideas with assessment teams in the field.
- Utilize and build automated tools to increase the efficiency of data management and analysis (including VBA, R and other programming languages)
4.Production of GIS outputs
- Develop and produce GIS outputs and data visualizations, such as report maps, standalone maps and online dashboards
- Extract queries, figures, and reports from the database to produce regular reports, indicator tracking, and project achievement factsheets, as needed, for all interventions
- Generate data visualization such as charts, graphs, tables to be included in communication tools, reports, assessments and any other documents as per needs;
- Gather input from bases to complete the monthly database report, detailing achievements and challenges of the database across ACETD intervention areas
- Maintain and update ACTED’s dashboard on a monthly basis after consolidating information from database officers across projects
- Support staff development by conducting training and supervising the skill development of the GIS assistant and other staff members.
- Provide regular and timely updates on progress and challenges to supervisors and other team members;
- Participate in database-related workshops and AME meetings as required;
- Perform any other related activities as assigned by the immediate supervisor.
- University degree in computer science or statistics with four years of relevant professional experience in information management or database
- Minimum 3 years of experience working with NGOs to design and develop databases and information management systems
- Minimum 3 years of team management experience (having technically supported/supervised a database team of at least 4 individuals)
- Extensive knowledge of data collection platforms and methodologies (quantitative and qualitative), database design, and harmonization
- Skilled information analysis and the ability to produce maps and factsheets to detail project achievements
- Experience/knowledge of using advanced Excel formulas and functions to manage and analyze databases
- Excellent computer skills and knowledge of MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and email/internet software, statistical analysis packages;
- Demonstrated experience providing technical support and training to field teams in a constructive and effective manner
- This position requires excellent written and spoken English
- Ability to listen and communicate consistently, clearly, and concisely, adapting delivery to the audience
- Ability to be proactive and work independently, while contributing positively to fostering teamwork and collaboration across departments and bases.
- Qualified candidates meeting the above requirements are requested to send an application comprising a detailed CV in English to: email@example.com
- PLEASE state in the subject line of the e-mail: “Senior Database Officer -Sanaa”
- Candidates must rename CV: (First & Surname + Senior Database Officer).
- The closing date for applications is Monday, 10 August, 2020
Due to the urgency of this appointment, interviews would be on a rolling basis and candidates may be identified before the closing date
Contacting any ACTED staff member other than the contact details listed in regard to this job will result in disqualification