WASH Engineer Officer
Position: WASH Engineer Officer – (1)
Vacancy Reference Number: WEO-TAZ/20
Purpose of division:
The WASH department works with country program team in identifying, planning, implementing and evaluating of WASH projects/programs in collaboration with local, national and international partners, The aim of WASH department is to improve the health and socioeconomic well-being of conflict affected communities by reducing the incidence of water- and sanitation-related diseases through sustainable safe water, sanitation, and hygiene practices.
Under the supervision of WASH Coordinator, WASH Engineer officer will be responsible for the design, implementation/construction, rehabilitation, follow up and evaluation of WASH infrastructures in communities and water sources targeted by Islamic Relief. The post is specifically oriented towards the WASH response in emergency context of the crisis in these all targeted Governorates, and special attention will be given to integration of the WASH sector in other core sectors of Islamic Relief such as nutrition, food security, and livelihood. The staff will be base in Taiz to assist WASH Activites in field. He/She will be responsable achieving the project activites, make daily follow ups of planned project activities at field level as well as proper filing of project documents and reports.
- Technical WASH assessments and participation in the selection of target communities and health facilities to be rehabilitated and/or constructed, through technical feasibility studies, household level questionnaires, focus group discussions, facilities and site visits, and interviews with key community members
Program Design and Implementation
- Plan and timely Implementation of IRY emergency WASH response during displacements (due to conflict or epidemic outbreaks) and other emergencies as they arise with a greater focus on provision of emergency lifesaving portable safe water; basic hygiene kits, solid waste management, hygiene promotion and sanitation
- Undertake timely rapid needs assessments in new areas with a greater focus on protection; produce and disseminate assessment reports in a timely manner;
- Supervise the team for data collection and entry, conduct quality checks, and triangulate information to ensure veracity and reliability of data
- Lead the planning of WASH project activities and set quality performance targets ensuring adherence to technical standards, best practices and donor guidelines
- Oversee the implementation of the emergency WASH response and ensure that stated goals and objectives are met;
- Ensure WASH activities are integrated with other sector teams, i.e. Emergency Food, Shelter, NFIs, Protection and Accountability as appropriate.
- Produce structured work plan for each emergency deployments;
- Ensure protection issues are fully considered throughout the project cycle with women, elderly, disabled and most vulnerable being included in decision making for WASH issues.
- Preparation of necessary logistic and financial requirements priori to any field needs assessment
- Write rapid needs assessment reports using defined format, and within established deadlines, providing clear operational recommendations for intervention
- Ensure compliance with IRY and international policy, procedures and practices throughout emergency response activities, including adherence to Do No Harm principles;
- Initiate and take the lead in the recruitment of emergency wash staff and, in coordination with the HR department, ensure that procedures are followed.
- Carry out wash staff skills needs assessments, prepare annual capacity building and training plans in consultation with Emergency Coordinator, WASH Sector Manager and HR Coordinator and oversee the execution of the plan.
- Represent IRY and actively participate in various cluster, coordination, and other meetings relevant to wash TWGs. Liaise with partners, local authorities, and local communities whenever it serves the objectives of the program in the area of wash.
- Liaise regularly and work closely with other sector response team and IRY normal programs program, operations and finance staff at national and field sites to coordinate program planning
- Establish and maintain relations with all stakeholders, including local authorities, and ensure all activities are planned in line with local needs, assessment and legal authority.
Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning
- Verify that WASH infrastructure construction and rehabilitation works are carried out according to quality standards established by Islamic Relief through quality checklists
- Plan and be responsible for the weekly reporting of data in order to follow up the standard project and strategic indicators (number of beneficiaries, number and type of activities completed).
- Weekly report to WASH Coordinator, verbal reports whenever necessary
Integration, Coordination of Cross-cutting Aspects
- Ensure that construction works are integrated with hygiene promotion and community participation to ensure sustainability of the infrastructure built.
- Coordinate WASH construction activities with other local actors at the district and governorate level.
- Ensure integration of gender, child protection, disability, HIV, environment and other crosscutting issues to the design, implementation and development of WASH construction activities, and ensure that activities take into account the needs of specific groups and individuals, especially children, the elderly and disabled
Degree in civil Engineering, construction management or Architecture.
B) EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS
- At least bachelor degree in civil or architecture Engineering or any related field
- 3-4 years of work experience in civil or architecture Engineering and WASH
- Demonstrated experience working in collaboration with local partners;
- Demonstrated experience conducting training, and providing capacity building
- Prior experience in working in complex emergency setting, involving internal displacement
- Proven experience in staff supervision and remote management
- Experience in leading multispectral assessment teams and providing technical guidance on WASH issues
- Excellent computer skills (proven computer literacy, in particular Excel knowledge is a must, Auto cad, engineering software)
- Strong representation and negotiation skills, demonstrated leadership and interpersonal skills, strong communication and diplomatic skills
- Analytical skills, observation and analysis capacity
- Strong team spirit, comfortable in a multi-cultural environment
- Ability to plan ahead and stress-resilient
- Additional qualities: ability to multi-task, ability to handle pressure well, ability to improvise, flexibility, adaptability to transitions
- Yemeni National
- Direct experience in the geographical area targeted by Islamic Relief
- Experience working with an international NGO
Additional job responsibilities
- The job duties and responsibilities as set out above are not exhaustive and the Post holder may be required to carry out additional duties within reasonableness of their level of skills and experience.
Core Values (Required) :
- Commitment .
- Diversity and Inclusion.
Core Competencies (Required):
- Working with People.
- Drive for Results.
Functional Competencies (Required):
- Formulating Strategies and Concepts.
- Planning and Organizing.
E) CONTACTS/KEY RELATIONSHIPS
F) PROBLEM SOLVING (Thinking Environment)
- Ability to deal with complex situation and solve issues and problems
G) WORKING CONDITIONS AND LEVEL OF TRAVEL REQUIRED
- Based in Taiz office Yemen, with frequent travel to the communities of intervention to ensure the technical work accomplishment and the completion of WASH interventions.
Understanding of and commitment to safeguarding, child safety and protection from sexual abuse and exploitation principles.
Interested and qualified candidates are requested to Click Here
- All applications must include the vacancy reference number in the Reference No. Applications without the correct reference number will not be considered.
- Qualified Females are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Only Short–listed candidates will be contacted.