Terms of Reference
Division : Programs.
Location : Sana’a.
Reports to : Project Manager.
Duration : 20 Months.
Organization & Background:
A humanitarian, independent, non-profit, non-governmental organization that works across Yemen. The organization provides direct assistance for conflict-affected populations, IDPs, host communities and vulnerable groups in the conflict areas. The organization, in partnership with international agencies, takes action during crisis situations, and goes the extra mile to engage in other contexts where its competencies will add value. The organization promotes durable solutions for conflict-affected populations and helps to restore services, education, economic, wellbeing and health.
Perform oral and written translation, from the mission language to English or vice versa, in order to ensure simultaneous, accurate, friendly, respectful, objective and fluent communication between the organization staff and donor. The translator will play a key role supporting the organization emergency response in Yemen by leading the translation unit to provide high-quality translation and interpretation services from English to Arabic (and vice versa). The Translator works closely with all departments to provide the necessary translation of legal and thematic documentations, including contracts, MOUs and both official and promotional documents, mainly from Arabic to English (and vice versa).
- Ensure the quality of translation of the organisation and project documents, including messages, minutes, circulars, SOPs, reports, texts for bulletins, regulations and guidelines, any other internal texts as required. The translated text to be delivered in MS Word, PowerPoint or Excel files, as required.
- Review and translate all project documents including but not limited to, means of verifications, letters, reports, tenders, logistics documents and finance documents.
- Provide translation work of various types to all the organization documents, both for the main office in Sana'a, and for the sub- office in the field.
- Ensure accurate and timely translation of incoming and outgoing official letters for all departments as required
- Ensure accurate and timely translation of incoming and outgoing reports, news releases, operational updates, interviews, speeches, speaking notes, and other documents.
- Summarizes documents – be they reports, news articles or other material – and provide a written summary when required
- Follow standard emergency preparedness practices to support the organization with quick feedback in the delivery of tasks.
- Proofreads documents (letters, reports etc.) both in Arabic and English
- Provides 'quick sight' verbal translation of documents when required
- Provides simultaneous translation and interpenetration during high- and mid-level meetings, security, briefings, workshops and seminars as required
- Regularly familiarizes and updates himself/herself on local and regional events, particularly in relation to the organization’s activities and other relevant information
- Regularly update local terminologies, (official names of ministries, departments, companies, media outlets and so forth) to ensure accuracy, consistency and neutrality
- Regularly update the transliteration of the names of geographical areas in the country (governorates, cities, villages and mountains etc.), to ensure accuracy:
- Organize the filing of the paper archives for the translation department as necessary under supervision of the Line Manager.
- Assist with translation of all incoming communications to organization in Arabic to English;
- Assist with the translation of all outgoing communications, documents from organization to authorities and other counterparts;
- Complete the work within the agreed timeline and submit the final translation in both soft and hard copy.
- Maintain strict confidentially of all translation work and support more junior staff with queries to this end.
- Oversee and perform terminology research to ensure accurate and appropriate translations. Support the development of guidelines and style guides to ensure consistent use of language and phrases in English and Arabic. Compile information, such as technical terms used in legal settings into glossaries and terminology databases to be used in translations of project documents.
- Provide advice and guidance within area and level of expertise, in order to ensure that all translated materials meet desired standards of consistency, quality and impact.
- Ensure that all translated texts are technically, linguistically and grammatically correct and error free and completed to the highest standards, and support more junior staff to produce high quality translation work.
- Assist with the translation of any other material including reports, snapshot, … etc.;
- Provide oral interpretation from English to Arabic and vice versa;
- Translate informal documents from English to Arabic and vice versa;
- Assist in the development and compilation of reports and other information documents;
- Act as an interpreter in meetings with authorities and prepare the draft minutes of the meeting;
- Perform interpretation function during meeting with any counterpart as required;
- Follow up on response to communications and keep management updated;
- Working with liaison and security officer and field coordinator to ensure project field locations names have up-to-date information and ensure accurate translation and that staff are aware of them and to reflect that on all project letters and documents.
- Perform any other tasks as required.
Qualifications & Experience:
- University degree in English, Translation, Education, Communication, Public Relations, or any other related field.
- At least 2 years of relevant professional experience in this field.
- Experience in experience with NGO is preferred.
- Prior experience with persons of concern (including internally displaced persons, conflict-affected host communities, extremely vulnerable individuals);
- Excellent computer skills including the usage of Microsoft office.
- Excellent usage of Advanced Excel.
- Very good business correspondence skills.
- Very good communication and interpersonal skills.
- TOFEL or IELTES certificate is preferred.
Interested candidates are invited to submit their updated CVs to firstname.lastname@example.org by August 20th 2020 at the latest, mentioning the job title in the subject line. Emails without such indication will not be considered.
Interviews will be conducted on a ROLLING BASIS, and based on urgency, we may fill the position prior to the closing date. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.