Ended Health Advisor
Save the Children in Yemen is looking for eligible candidates for the position of
Health Advisor – Yemen –Sana’a
The Health Advisor is responsible for providing technical and strategic guidance and oversight to the country office (CO) program in areas of Health. Under the general direction and guidance of the Director of Program Development and Quality, provides thematic Leadership and ensure all Health programming is well monitored and is of excellent technical quality, attracts significant donor funding and contributes to national/global learning, advocacy and programme development. S/he is expected to lead on developing Health strategy and thematic plan, aligned with country strategic plan; sectoral assessment; program design, proposal writing and master budgeting; support and coordinate fund raising; provide strategic and technical guidance and oversight to the PMs and field teams; assist Field Managers (FMs) in recruitment and procurement in large complex emergencies; coordinate, represent and brand Save the Children (SC) in cluster, sub-cluster and other relevant forums. The Health Advisor is expected to play a leadership role within a response tea, through 360o support to colleagues and work to ensure that broader sector coordination mechanisms are functioning effectively. S/he promotes learning and accountability. In most circumstances, the post holder will be expected to mentor and/or capacity-build both international and national staff colleagues.
The post holder is expected to provide technical advice and support to project staff to ensure programming objectives are successfully achieved. The post-holder shall also contribute to the development and/review of the country strategic direction and actively lead in the development of Health policy and programme formulation.
As part of the dual mandate, the Health Advisor shall take part in emergency preparedness activities and be ready to respond in the event of an emergency, as required.
KEY AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY:
Developing Strategy and Thematic Plan
- Help shape broader sector strategies through influence of and leadership within inter-agency coordination forums, such as the Health Cluster, ensuring the specific needs of children are being addressed. This may involve taking on a co-chairing role where needs demand.
- Stay updated on how the context evolves and cluster strategy or humanitarian response plan is updated or changed, as the context changes.
- Lead on health component as part of developing the country strategic plan.
- Develop and update Health strategy and thematic plan, Emergency preparedness plans, support in building mater Budget in line with the country strategic plan and evolving context.
- Engage PMs and field colleagues in the process of developing or updating strategy and thematic plan.
- Assess funding needs based on the needs and gaps, work with the member technical backstops to fundraise for the health sector.
Monitoring, Assessment, Program Design and Fundraising
- Lead the in –country innovation and learning agenda in Health
- Lead on program design and proposal writing with the PMs, including writing high quality concept notes and position paper, work with the members and donors’ technical advisors.
- Provide technical checking of health assessments and programs as necessary, and proactively promote high quality health technical approaches within country programs.
- Lead on health or multi-sectoral technical assessments in coordination with other SC thematic areas and/or other external sector agencies, ensuring assessment findings are documented and that all assessments include a specific analysis of children’s needs.
- Lead the process of lessons learning to ensure high quality Health programming, with support from the MEAL team, coordinating the documentation of said lessons across all the programmes;
- Review relevant monitoring reports to ensure that technical debates are well articulated and reports are of acceptable quality before submission. Provide support where necessary to improve report writing skills. Lead in the evaluation and review process for all Health Projects including the development of Terms of Reference, selection and management of consultants.
- Lead the in –country innovation and learning agenda in Health
Providing Strategic and Technical Guidance and Oversight
- Provide technical guidance and support to the PMs and field staff in effective delivery of program implementation on time: monitor against log frames, review actual vs target, review budget vs actual expenses, and advise corrective measures: review of work plan and prepare acceleration plan
- Technically supervise and assist PMs in developing program implementation plan and procurement plan
- Assist PMs in prepare timely program and donor reports on project activities in compliance with internal SC requirements and any relevant external donor requirements.
- Working closely with the HR team, lead on identifying health staffing needs (both national and international) for emergency programs, and ensure rapid recruitment, induction and training of new staff.
- Identify health program supplies needs and coordinate with the logistics team to put in place a sensible phased procurement plan.
- In collaboration with the MEAL team, put in place a health sector MEAL plan, ensuring this links to reporting requirements, and capacity building of technical field staff in carrying out the work.
- Working closely with the accountability lead to put in place sector accountability mechanisms, ensuring that the feedback is incorporated into programme design and learning disseminated to the wider health sector.
- Ensure that the minimum standards of humanitarian relief are maintained in accordance with the Sphere Charter and Red Cross Code of Conduct.
- Pay regular field visit to country program to assess or monitor program quality, offer technical guidance and support and organize capacity strengthening events, and assess new program needs to design new program.
- Develop learning needs assessment and capacity building plans for both SC and partner staff, linking capacity building initiatives to wider opportunities identified via coordination and networks.
- Coach and mentor PMs and Coordinators and national level counterparts and link in to wider organisational talent development mechanisms.
- Oversee development and delivery of technical training material that will improve aspects of Health work within Save the Children, globally.
Representation, Advocacy & Organisational Learning
- Actively participate in the cluster, sub-cluster and other related meetings and forums, and contribute to or influence the cluster in developing cluster strategy or response plan, harmonize approaches or tools, ensure that SC’s program achievements and learnings are represented, and seek assistance in case of challenges.
- Take the initiative in documenting lessons learnt, best practice and case studies to shape in-country strategies and programme approaches, and contribute to broader sector learning.
- Play a leadership role in shaping health communications and media priorities in line with thematic priorities, acting as a spokesperson when required.
- Pro-actively identify advocacy opportunities, case studies and research opportunities which link with wider organisational strategic objectives, and turn these into action.
Additional job responsibilities
This position is likely to be changed to head of Health & nutrition, so the post holder needs to also support and lead the nutrition programmes .
- The duties and responsibilities as set out above are not exhaustive and the role holder may be required to carry out additional duties within reasonableness of their level of skills and experience
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE AND ATTRIBUTES
- At least 7 years’ experience of working internationally in Health & Nutrition programmes in a humanitarian or development context
- Education to Masters level in health, Nutrition, Public Health or a related subject
- Previous experience of managing a large Health team of international and national staff
- Proven ability of mentoring, coaching and training on Health related topics
- Experience of senior level representation
- Experience of developing and negotiating successful partnerships with institutional donors
- Ability to write clear and well-argued assessment and project reports
- Excellent communication skills, Politically and culturally sensitive with qualities of patience, tact and diplomacy
- Proven ability to influence change at an operational and strategic level.
- A high level of written and spoken English
- The capacity and willingness to be extremely flexible and accommodating in difficult and sometimes insecure working circumstances.
- Language skills in Arabic
- Experience or knowledge of working and living in relevant regions/contexts
- Experience in promoting children’s participation in programme design, implementation and evaluation
Kindly use this link to apply:
This position is open to Yemeni nationals only
We are looking for both men and women from Yemen with enthusiasm and commitment to improve the protection and promotion of the rights of all children in Yemen All applicants will be subject to Save the Children’s Child safe guardian Policy and Reference Checking Process.