Ended Protection Assistant
Duty Station [Taiz -Ahoban]
Who are we?
The Danish Refugee Council (DRC) is an International non-governmental organization, which promotes and supports durable solutions to the problems faced by refugees and internally displaced people in over 30 countries around the world. DRC has been operating in East Africa and Yemen (EAY) region for over a decade, running a combination of emergency, livelihood, protection and advocacy programs through Country Offices (COs) in Kenya, Somalia, Ethiopia/Djibouti, Yemen and Uganda/Tanzania with a Regional Office (RO) in Nairobi.
DRC, through its specialized business unit, Danish Demining Group (DDG) aims to recreate a safe environment where people can live without the threat of landmines, unexploded ordinances and small arms and light weapons”. These goals can be effectively advanced through cooperation and joint action with other organization as well as with integration of operations and programs with its sister organization, DRC.
About the job
Through its protection/Multi sector programing, DRC is looking for a reliable Medical assistant to perform various office and field medical duties to keep DRC protection response running efficiently. Medical assistant will work directly under the supervision of Protection Team Leader to perform initial patient assessment, refer medical and surgical cases and follow up the cases.
Advocacy for the rights of displaced people in their context of displacement, child protection initiatives, individual protection assistance based on vulnerability, legal aid, land & property rights, sexual and gender-based violence prevention, registration services for the internally displaced and refugees, monitoring of rights and rights awareness-raising, facilitation of return and repatriation processes.
Geographic scope: Country (Yemen)
This role has a country focus and ensures compliance to DRC procedures and guidelines within the country. The role contributes to the development of country strategies, which are translated into action plans and day-to-day tasks. The role provides support and/or technical guidance to base operations.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Verifies patients’ information by interviewing them and fill referral form; and confirming the admission of each case.
- Follow-up with cases who are receiving, or have received, medical treatment through DRC, including conducting regular visits to the Hospitals, based on the case’s need or at the direction of the Protection Management.
- Review all files and consult with the designated children’s treatment providers (or potential treatment providers) to determine the appropriate course of action.
- Identifying the case whose condition requires to be prioritized for treatment.
- Creating monthly medical treatment summaries for each child during his/her treatment and at the conclusion of the medical treatment when the case is closed.
- Review all claims/expenses from the hospitals and with the support of the management determine which charges are appropriate and should be paid.
- Complete a monthly medical treatment summary for each case who is receiving medical treatment and submit the reports to Medical doctor/Protection Team Leader
- Complete a final medical treatment report for each case whose treatment has concluded and whose case is being closed and submit the reports to the Protection Team Leader/Medical doctor.
- Maintaining strict confidentiality about the cases and/or their families and the treatment being provided and, at all times, take active steps to protect the children and their families’ privacy and dignity.
- Given the nature of DRC programs and emergency activities; Flexibility is required.
- Complying with DRC’s policies and procedures including, but not limited to, the Code of Conduct.
- Inputting all cases to medical database;
- Follow up Finance and other departments to carry out the payment of medical support cost.
- Receive cases and admit them to Hospital, and this might require 24/7 response.
- Any other duties as required or assigned by protection management.
To be successful in this role you must have:
Education: (include certificates, licenses etc.)
- Associate degree in a medical field (Nursing/Public health or any other relevant field of study) (bachelor’s degree preferred).
- 2+ years of experience working for a healthcare practice or hospital.
- Must have knowledge of: - Healthcare field and medical specialty -Medical terminology.
- Females are strongly recommended to apply.
Required experience and competencies:
- All DRC roles require the post-holder to master DRC’s core competencies:
- Striving for excellence: Focusing on reaching results while ensuring efficient processes.
- Collaborating: Involving relevant parties and encouraging feedback.
- Taking the lead: Taking ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
- Communicating: Listening and speaking effectively and honestly.
- Demonstrating integrity: Upholding and promoting the highest standards of ethical and professional conduct in relation to DRC’s values and Code of Conduct, including safeguarding against sexual exploitation, abuse and harassment.
All DRC roles require the post-holder to master DRC’s core competencies:
- Medical doctor
- Protection Manager
- Protection Assistant
- Protection Team Leader
- Protection officer
Moreover we also expect the following:
Languages: (indicate fluency level)
- Good English language (written and spoken)
- Excellent report writing skills including editing the work of others
- Fluency in Arabic language (written and spoken)Excellent report writing skills including editing the work of others
- Fluency in Arabic language (written and spoken)
- Knowledge of using word and excel matrix.
DRC will offer the successful applicant a 6 months contract, renewable dependent on both funding and performance. You must be available to start work from 1st of Oct, 2020 and be willing and able to work in Sa’ada.
- Salary and conditions will be in accordance with Danish Refugee Council’s Terms of Employment for Expatriates; please refer to www.drc.ngo under Vacancies. This position will be placed at level (NMI).
Interested? Then apply for this position by clicking on the link below.
All applicants must send a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages). Both must be in the same language as this vacancy note. CV only applications will not be considered.
If you have questions or are facing problems with the online application process, please contact email@example.com
Applications closing date 16th September 2020
Need further information?
For more details on this position please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note that applications sent directly to [email@example.com] will not be considered.
For further information about the Danish Refugee Council, please consult our website www.drc.ngo