Ended Protection Officer
Position: Protection Officer
Job location Aden with regular field travel to South of Al-Hudaydah, West Taiz, Al-Dhale'e and Shabwah
Report to: Reporting Officer - Senior Protection Officer - Project Manager
FMF is a non-profit and non-governmental organization aiming to provide health, nutrition, food security and protection services as a humanitarian response to the escalating socio economic situation in Yemen since 2012.
Under UNHCR partnership and funds, FMF will implement a protection project entitled: ‘Provision of life-saving protection services to IDPs and conflict affected PoCs in south Yemen’ to respond and address the protection needs of IDPs, Returnees and conflict-affected community in South of Al-Hudaydah, West Taiz, Al-Dhale'e, and Shabwah.
This position demands a dynamic individual with a demonstrated ability to achieve results in a demanding and fast paced environment. Under the direct supervision of Senior Protection Officer and Project Manager, the Protection Officer will oversee and manage the implementation of all project protection activities for timely, high-quality, and effective provision of protection services in areas of intervention, and will be a key link between field staff, Project Assistant/Officers, and Project Manager. The Protection Officer will contribute and adhere to project plans, and budget spending. The Protection Officer will also ensure that all staff follow international technical standards and guidelines, including donor regulations and compliance, to deliver high-quality programming in a timely manner. With the support of Project Officers and Senior Protection Officer, the Protection Officer will contribute to develop training modules and conduct trainings and regular coaching on the job sessions for project staff.
Position description/ key responsibilities:
- With the Protection Assistants, provide ongoing oversight, leadership, and guidance to the field teams to ensure that the project activities meet high quality and best practice standards and prioritize the safety and security of beneficiaries and staff.
- Provide, technical management and support for the implementation of the protection activities in areas of intervention, and prepare capacity materials for relevant protection activities; Supervise and provide technical guidance on best practices and standards of protection teams, and lead prepare devised work plans for field teams' visits in collaboration with the relevant project staff.
- Ensure that protection teams staff are fully trained on existing referral systems and relevant SOPs, and aware and able to develop and update the mapping of services to ensure that PSS teams can provide individualized case management, undertake safe referrals according to the protection minimum standards, and ensure follow-up on all referrals until closure phase with the support of Protection Assistants.
- Work closely with data management staff to support the protection teams on how to best utilize the protection tools and maintain the case management database up-to-date; regular review and follow up of referrals, ensuring referral follow up is conducted appropriately with relevant project staff and the service is provided.
- With the support of data management staff, regularly review project data, ensuring accurate data collection, and analyze the data to ensure the meeting of donor targets, and protection key trends for further reporting and analysis.
- Review and finalize the protection teams' reports on protection assessments and incidents, for evidence-based referrals and advocacy for the protection gaps and needs of IDPs and other conflict-affected Persons of Concern (PoCs).
- Ensure to supervise assessment carried out by field protection teams and data collection, to prepare protection updates, contribute in Sitreps, weekly/monthly reports, in compliance with set deadlines and to report to the Reporting Officer.
- Contribute to report protection trends analysis on a regular basis, and maintain an up to date and in-depth understanding of community dynamics in the communities monitored including the surrounding host community.
- Build and maintain good communication and close collaboration with the project Officers and Assistants in order to support the development of technical tools, templates and formats with the guidance of Senior Protection Officer and support of Data Management staff; and to discuss progress, the rollout of activities, any other technical guidance or support/ capacity-building needs to ensure a coordinated humanitarian response, and address any beneficiary feedback, concerns or issues through the appropriate mechanisms.
- Undertake regular field visits to all areas of interventions to support and assess project implementation, identify any concerns and obtain beneficiary feedback; and develop and maintain effective working relationships with other INGOs, community leaders and service providers and other key stakeholders to ensure active coordination, collaboration, and information dissemination.
- Liaise with logistic and finance departments to ensure protection activities have the required resources at time, and complete and keep records of the necessary paperwork.
- Perform any other tasks as assigned by the supervisor.
- A university degree in in social sciences, law or any other relevant subject or any related field.
- 2 years of experience working with I/NGOs in the protection sector, with prior project management experience.
- Prior familiarity with the implementation of protection projects preferred (sufficient technical knowledge).
- Flexible to regular field site travel and overnight stays in areas of intervention, and willingness to learn quickly and follow technical guidance to adapt to project demands and achieve quality results.
- Excellent M&E knowledge and experience, including understanding of how to conduct assessments and analyze data.
- Ability and willingness to network with a wide variety of stakeholders
- Experience in providing training and support to project staff, and good foundation of monitoring and evaluation skills.
- Experience working with vulnerable and/or conflict affected persons, and case management experience.
- Proven experience in conducting protection assessment exercises and understanding of how to utilize relevant tools and approaches.
- Strong conceptual and practical understanding of protection issues and specifically FMF’s approach to and role in protection work including analysis and advocacy.
- Understanding of the Protection Cluster and other protection coordination mechanisms and the roles and mandates of key protection actors.
- Analytical skills and strategic thinking including experience developing written analysis and strategies for protection.
- Experience in supervising field staff in challenging situations, carrying out professional team management, and providing capacity-building and training, including a supportive working style.
- Strong experience working in protection in a humanitarian/recovery, complex and volatile contexts.
- Strong understanding of humanitarian principles and protection guidelines, and familiarity with case management principles, standards and procedures.
- Experience in mainstreaming protection concepts within a humanitarian operation.
- Strong organization, collaboration, representation and negotiation skills, and demonstrated leadership and interpersonal skills.
- Knowledge of the area of responsibility and understanding of local communities and customary rules.
- Prior experience in working and/or coordinating with other humanitarian organizations.
- Native Arabic and strong English skills are essential.
- Strong knowledge and skills of computer and prior experience working with smart data collection tools such as KOBO, and respect confidentiality of data and information.
- Readiness to commit and adhere to the values, mission and vision of FMF.
- Be available for regular trainings provided by FMF and support in identifying staff training needs.
- Attention to details and ability to communicate professionally and effectively - practical and problem-solver.
- Able to ensure quality delivery in stressful environment, punctuality and respect for rules and procedures, and to adhere to deadlines.
- Ability to deal with heavy work pressure.
- Documented results related to the position’s responsibilities.
Applicants should send a CV and covering letter, both in English, to Field Medical Foundation ( firstname.lastname@example.org ) with the title of the position you are applying for in the title of email.