Open to Internal and External Candidates
Position: Communications Assistant
Organizational Unit: PDSU (Media & Communication Unit)
Duty Station: Yemen, Marib
IOM Classification: M4
Type of Appointment: Special Short-Term (SST) MPH Contract, 3 Months (With a possibility of renewal)
SVN No. : CFCV2020/108
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
Closing Date: Monday 28 September 2020
Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Internal and external candidates are eligible to apply to this vacancy. For the purpose of the vacancy, internal candidates are considered as first-tier candidates
Organizational Context and Scope:
Under the overall supervision of the Head, Project Development & Programme Support (PDPS) ,the direct supervision of the Media and Public Relations Officer in Sana’a and the administrative supervision of the Field Coordinator in Marib, the Communications Assistant is responsible for the following functions:
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Create public information products (audio, visual, written and verbal) on IOM’s response carried out via the Organization’s Marib sub-office. This includes conducting interviews with beneficiaries and capturing and editing high quality images and videos.
- Support creation of content for various IOM digital platforms, including social media and websites.
- Support the maintenance and cataloguing of IOM Yemen’s communications products, media contact lists, content calendars and archives.
- Support the organization of public events at the sub-office level to promote the visibility of IOM’s operations in Yemen.
- Support the communications and visibility components of IOM projects, including monitoring of project visibility plans in line with donors’ visibility guidelines and supporting operations units with field visibility.
- Support the production process of communication and publications products like printing of field visibility materials to ensure high quality of final products.
- Support engagement with local media.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- Qualification from an accredited academic institution preferably in communications, public relations, filmmaking, photography or a related field.
- Minimum four years of experience (two years for University degree holders) experience in the field of communication and media, and creation of creation of visual content.
Languages English and Arabic Oromia, Amharic and Somali is advantageous.
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 1
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
- Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
- Only candidates residing in the country of the duty station within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered.
- Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, national of the country with automatic right to live and work in the country, and security clearances.
- Female with the above qualifications are encouraged to apply.
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via the following link
All applications should include a functional email address, mobile numbers and detailed curriculum vitae (CV).
“Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted”
Posting period: 15 September 2020 to 28 September 2020