Ended Senior Protection Officer
Position Senior Protection Officer
Job location Aden with regular field travel to South of Al-Hudaydah, West Taiz, Al-Dhale'e and Shabwah
Report to Project Manager
FMF is a non-profit and non-governmental organization aiming to provide health, nutrition, food security and protection services as a humanitarian response to the escalating socio economic situation in Yemen since 2012.
Under UNHCR partnership and funds, FMF will implement a protection project entitled: ‘Provision of life-saving protection services to IDPs and conflict affected PoCs in south Yemen’ to respond and address the protection needs of IDPs, Returnees and conflict-affected community in South of Al-Hudaydah, West Taiz, Al-Dhale'e, and Shabwah.
This position demands a dynamic individual with a demonstrated ability to achieve results in a demanding and fast paced environment. Under the direct supervision of Project Manager, the Senior Protection Officer will oversee and manage the implementation of all project protection activities for timely, high-quality, and effective provision of protection services in areas of intervention, and will be a key link between all project staff. The Senior Protection Officer will contribute and adhere to project plans, and budget spending. The incumbent will also ensure that all staff follow international technical standards and guidelines, including donor regulations and compliance, to deliver high-quality programming in a timely manner. With the support of Project Officers and Project Manager, the Senior Protection Officer will contribute to develop training modules and conduct trainings and regular coaching on the job sessions for project staff.
Position description/ key responsibilities:
- Assist the Project Manager in managing the implementation of the project in accordance with proposal, donor agreement and FMF's policies and guidelines, and ensure projects are implemented to a high quality, on time and against agreed work plans and achieve desired results, and ensure accurate delivery of the definition of project scope and objectives to all project staff, and ensuring technical feasibility.
- Ensure resource availability and allocation for smooth and timely implementation of activities within budget and scope.
- Work closely with the Project Manger to motivate and lead a diverse and a high number of project staff, develop comprehensive project plans to be shared with all project staff and appropriate monitoring tools and strategy to monitor the progress and quality and impact of the project and its implementation.
- Contribute to perform risk management to minimize project risks, and proactively create urgent solutions and contingency plans for problems that may affect the progress of work, and keep project staff committed, motivated, and productive through the duration of the project.
- With the Project Officers and Assistants, provide ongoing oversight, leadership, and guidance to the field teams to ensure that the project activities meet high quality and best practice standards and prioritize the safety and security of beneficiaries and staff.
- Contribute to the provision of technical management and support for the implementation of the protection activities in areas of intervention, and prepare capacity materials for relevant protection activities;
- Contribute to the supervision of guidance on best practices and standards of protection teams, and the preparation of devised work plans for field teams' visits in collaboration with the relevant project staff.
- With the support of data management and reporting staff, regularly review project data, ensuring accurate data collection, and analyze the data to ensure the meeting of donor targets, and protection key trends for further reporting and analysis.
- Assist to review and finalize the protection reports on protection assessments and incidents, for evidence-based referrals and advocacy for the protection gaps and needs of IDPs and other conflict-affected Persons of Concern (PoCs), and oversee implementation of activities and data collection by field protection teams, to ensure quality, timeliness, appropriateness and effectiveness, and to furhter prepare protection updates, contribute in Sitreps, weekly/monthly reports, in compliance with set deadlines.
- Contribute to report protection trends analysis on a regular basis, and maintain an up to date and in-depth understanding of community dynamics in the communities monitored including the surrounding host community.
- Build and maintain good communication and close collaboration with the project Officers and Assistants in order to support the development of technical tools, templates and formats with the guidance of Project Manager and support of Data Management staff; and to discuss progress, the rollout of activities, any other technical guidance or support/ capacity-building needs to ensure a coordinated humanitarian response, and address any beneficiary feedback, concerns or issues through the appropriate mechanisms.
- Undertake regular field visits to all areas of interventions to support and assess project implementation, identify any concerns and obtain beneficiary feedback; and develop and maintain effective working relationships with other INGOs, community leaders and service providers and other key stakeholders to ensure active coordination, collaboration, and information dissemination.
- Liaise with logistic and finance departments to ensure protection activities have the required resources at time, and complete and keep records of the necessary paperwork.
- Attend cluster, conferences and training as required to maintain proficiency.
- Perform any other tasks as assigned by the Project Manager.
- A university degree in in social sciences, law or any other relevant subject or any related field.
- 2 years of experience working with I/NGOs in the protection sector, with prior project management experience.
- Prior familiarity with the implementation of protection projects preferred (solid technical knowledge required).
- Flexible to regular field site travel and overnight stays in areas of intervention, and willingness to learn quickly and follow technical guidance to adapt to project demands and achieve quality results.
- Excellent M&E knowledge and experience, including understanding of how to conduct assessments and analyze data.
- Ability and willingness to network with a wide variety of stakeholders
- Experience in providing training and support to project staff, and good foundation of monitoring and evaluation skills.
- Strong conceptual and practical understanding of protection issues and specifically FMF’s approach to and role in protection work including analysis and advocacy.
- Understanding of the Protection Cluster and other protection coordination mechanisms and the roles and mandates of key protection actors.
- Analytical skills and strategic thinking including experience developing written analysis and strategies for protection.
- Experience in supervising field staff in challenging situations, carrying out professional team management, and providing capacity-building and training, including a supportive working style.
- Experience in mainstreaming protection concepts within a humanitarian operation.
- Strong organization, collaboration, representation and negotiation skills, and demonstrated leadership and interpersonal skills.
- Knowledge of the area of responsibility and understanding of local communities and customary rules.
- Prior experience in working and/or coordinating with other humanitarian organizations.
- Native Arabic and strong English skills are essential.
- Strong knowledge and skills of computer and prior experience working with smart data collection tools such as KOBO, and respect confidentiality of data and information.
- Readiness to commit and adhere to the values, mission and vision of FMF.
- Be available for regular trainings provided by FMF and support in identifying staff training needs.
- Attention to details and ability to communicate professionally and effectively - practical and problem-solver.
- Able to ensure quality delivery in stressful environment, punctuality and respect for rules and procedures, and to adhere to deadlines.
- Ability to deal with heavy work pressure.
- Documented results related to the position’s responsibilities.
Applicants should send a CV and covering letter, both in English, to Field Medical Foundation ( firstname.lastname@example.org ) with the title of the position you are applying for in the title of email.