Ended Research Manager- Consultant
Search is an international conflict transformation NGO that aims to transform the way individuals, groups, governments and companies deal with conflict, away from adversarial approaches and towards collaborative solutions. Headquartered in Washington DC, USA, and Brussels, Belgium, with 52 field offices in 29 countries, Search designs and implements multifaceted, culturally appropriate and conflict-sensitive programs using a diverse range of tools, including media and training, to promote dialogue, increase knowledge and determine a positive shift in behaviors. In Yemen, Search works in Abyan, Hadramout, Aden, Lahj, Ta’izz and Ibb governorates and maintains a wide and robust relationship network of local civil society organizations.
The organization is an exciting and rewarding place to work at, with a dedicated and enthusiastic staff who love their work. You will be joining a highly motivated staff with a good team spirit and there will be opportunities to grow in the role.
Search has been working in Yemen since 2010 to promote social cohesion through work with youth, media, and women’s groups across the country. Search Yemen is seeking highly qualified individuals for the following post:
Search for Common Ground Yemen (Search) is seeking an experienced Research Manager consultant to coordinate both qualitative and quantitative research taking place in several locations throughout Yemen. The successful consultant will work with the Search Yemen team, local research partners in Yemen, as well as regional Search staff. The consultant will supervise both operational aspects of research taking place under the project in Yemen for a period of 3 months.
The regional project focuses on at-risk and marginalized groups across the region. The program consists of an in-depth integrated research process ii.) the development of a pilot early warning and early response system (EWERS), and iii.) The design and implementation of targeted initiatives aimed at preventing violence and strengthening the capacity and resilience of at-risk groups.
- Vacancy: Research Manager- Consultant
- Reports to: Research & Assessment Specialist (based in Tunis)
- Working relationships: Works with the Search Yemen Team, regional project team, Institutional Learning Team
- Work Location: Aden
- Contract type: Full time consultant
- Contract period: 3 months
Key Duties & Responsibilities:
The consultant will be responsible for coordinating qualitative and quantitative research processes in selected target zones throughout Yemen. Specifically, the role of the research manager will be to:
- Work closely with Search and a local research firm to help support and coordinate operational aspects of field research taking place over the period of 3 months.
- Act as a liaison between Search and the local research firm, participating in discussions and making sure expectations are met.
- Monitor and provide assistance to all of the local research firm’s activities, including training of enumerators and moderators, fieldwork logistics and safety, data collection, quality control, analysis and report-writing.
- Report to Search on progress made with regards to these activities and ways to improve performance and resolve issues.
- Assist with Arabic to English and English to Arabic verbal and written translation where needed.
As job descriptions cannot be exhaustive, the position holder may be required to undertake other duties that are broadly in line with the above key responsibilities.
A minimum bachelor’s level degree in conflict resolution, international relations, a related social science field or statistics. (Preferred MA or MS with a focus on research).
More than 5 years of experience in project evaluation or the equivalent in DM&E expertise, including collecting data in interviews, surveys, and focus groups discussions.
Skills & Competencies:
- Proficiency in Arabic and English capacity to communicate and understand local dialects of targeted zones and populations.
- Evaluation methods and data collection skills, particularly in active or post-conflict contexts
- Experience in human rights, violence prevention, peacebuilding or conflict resolution.
- Experience in qualitative and quantitative analysis.
- Understanding of and experience in Yemen.
- Strong communication and writing skills.
- Understanding of and experience working with CSOs.
- Ability to be flexible with time and work schedule.
- Working with People: The ability to respect the views and contributions of other team members; shows empathy, listens, supports; consults others and shares information and expertise, builds team spirit and adapts to the team.
- Flexibility: The ability to adapt to changing circumstances and priorities, to tolerate ambiguity, to adapt personal style to different people and situations.
- Drive for Results and Efficiency: The ability to set quality standards, monitor and maintain quality of work, and set goals to achieve continuous improvement.
- Relationship Management: The ability to manage interactions, to provide service and to support the organization while building an effective internal and external network.
- Consultation (for managers and up): The ability to provide guidance to organizational stakeholders while applying creative problem-solving to address business needs.
- Leadership and Navigation: The ability to manage and contribute to initiatives and processes within the organization while making progress toward change and continuous improvement.
- Communication: The ability to effectively exchange information with others, to effectively deliver critical information, to gather information and communicate with others.
- Global and Cultural Effectiveness: The ability to value and consider the perspectives and backgrounds of all parties and be able to work cross-culturally.
- Ethical Practice: The ability to integrate Search vision, mission and core values, integrity and accountability throughout all organizational and business practices.
- Critical Evaluation (for managers and up): The ability to interpret information to make business decisions and recommendations based on keen analysis, best practices and an understanding of preferred outcomes.
- Business Acumen: The ability to understand and apply information to contribute to the organization's strategic plan.
- Developing others (for people manager): The ability to provide support to enhance performance and professional growth.
To apply, interested candidates should send the following items to our employment portal here:
- Updated resume
- Cover Letter
Only applicants invited for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls please. Please see our website www.sfcg.org for full details of our work.
All Search Employees must adhere to the values: Shared Humanity - Empathy - Impartiality - Inclusivity - Courage - Hope - Humility - Audacity. In accordance with these values, Search enforces compliance with the Code of Conduct and related policies on Anti Workplace Harassment, Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Conflict of Interest and Anti-fraud.
Search for Common Ground does not and shall not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion (creed), gender, gender expression, age, national origin (ancestry), disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or military status, in any of its activities or operations.
For more information on Search, including its core values and competencies, please visit Search website at www.sfcg.org