Ended Civil Engineer
National Consultancy Position
Position: Civil Engineer
Job site: Taiz City (1 post)
Report to: WASH Expert and WASH Activity Coordinator
INTERSOS is an independent non-profit humanitarian organization committed to assist the victims of natural disasters and armed conflicts. Its activities are based on the principles of solidarity, justice, human dignity, equality of rights and opportunities, and respect for diversity and coexistence, paying special attention to the most vulnerable and unprotected people
Project title: Emergency multi-sector response for Yemen in Ibb and Taiz Governorates
The project provides an integrated multi-sector response within Ibb and Taiz governorates, further building on previous OFDA-funded actions. The new intervention aims at enlarging the geographical coverage area in order to address specific gaps and needs, with particular attention to Taiz city, considering the high concentration of IDPs and the limited humanitarian presence in this area (especially for protection). The project provides for protection services (prevention and response), combined with nutritional care and treatment for CU5 and PLW suffering from acute malnutrition, and with WASH services for conflict affected communities. The WASH component provides targeted communities with both soft and hard services, including rehabilitation of drinking water supply and outreach through hygiene promotion.
- Assess the renovation and rehabilitation needs at the health facilities, collective shelters and water points and preparing of BoQs accordingly.
- Assess water and sanitation needs, available resources and the capacity of existing systems for health facilities, collective shelters and water point.
- Carry out technical supervision of the design activities and construction works.
- Consult with local representatives about access, design and management of water systems and sanitation facilities, as well as hygiene promotion needs.
- Assess conditions and set up maintenance systems at health facilities, collective shelters.
- Provide weekly and monthly reports on the status of the activities.
- Perform other related duties upon request to support the project team and the project implementation process.
- Conduct assessments and gather data/information as required.
- Carry out Water Supply and Sanitation infrastructures assessment.
- Participate in the data analysis of the collected information.
- Contribute to the preparation of assessment reports.
In addition to:
- Adherence to Humanitarian principles of Neutrality, Impartiality, Independence and Humanity
- Familiar with water quality standards and testing procedures.
- Excellent communication skills with different population groups (age, gender, social status, etc.).
- Clear & timely communications to line management.
- Very good knowledge of INTERSOS project, abiding by INTERSOS internal rules and guidelines and respect INTERSOS Charter of Value and Code of Ethics.
- University Degree in Civil Engineering.
- At least 3 years of practical, hands-on experience reconstruction, renovation and rehabilitation of public infrastructure, including health facilities.
- Good knowledge of English (written and spoken) and native Arabic speaker.
- Strong organizational skills and able to coordinate and manage a diverse array of activities and stakeholders.
- Report writing skills and computer skills in word processing and Excel.
- Experience in conducting surveys, managing data and statistics is desirable.
- Native Arabic – EXCELLENT written and spoken English;
- Excellent analytical skills and observation capacity;
- Attention to detail and structured way of approaching tasks;
- Able to ensure quick quality delivery in stressful environment;
- Ability to adhere to deadlines and respect line management;
- Ability to deal with heavy work pressure;
- Deadline for submission of application: 18 October 2020;
- Documents to be submitted: CV and Motivation Letter (incomplete applications will be not considered), in addition to contact details for minimum 2 reference persons (include position and relation)
- How to send the application: by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org (applications delivered by hand will be not considered)