Ended Hygiene Promoter (4)
National Staff Position
Position: Hygiene Promoter
Job site: Taiz City (4 posts)
Report to: WASH Activity Coordinator
INTERSOS is an independent non-profit humanitarian organization committed to assist the victims of natural disasters and armed conflicts. Its activities are based on the principles of solidarity, justice, human dignity, equality of rights and opportunities, and respect for diversity and coexistence, paying special attention to the most vulnerable and unprotected people
Project title: Emergency multi-sector response for Yemen in Ibb and Taiz Governorates
The project provides an integrated multi-sector response within Ibb and Taiz governorates, further building on previous OFDA-funded actions. The new intervention aims at enlarging the geographical coverage area in order to address specific gaps and needs, with particular attention to Taiz city, considering the high concentration of IDPs and the limited humanitarian presence in this area (especially for protection). The project provides for protection services (prevention and response), combined with nutritional care and treatment for CU5 and PLW suffering from acute malnutrition, and with WASH services for conflict affected communities. The WASH component provides targeted communities with both soft and hard services, including rehabilitation of drinking water supply and outreach through hygiene promotion.
The Hygiene Promoter will be responsible to organize community awareness on hygiene related issues, community mobilization and monitoring and reporting of all the activities concerning hygiene communities’ awareness campaigns and sessions, beside identifying problems and reporting on WASH needs and concerns in the target areas.
The WASH hygiene promoter ensures that water, sanitation, and hygiene and Covid-19 awareness, are implemented effectively, professionally, and in accordance with the culture and practices of the local population. The WASH hygiene promoter should carry out the following tasks:
- Meeting the local leaders and community elders to communicate the details overall INTERSOS program objectives and specific WASH program objectives.
- Organize community meetings to discuss and communicate the details of specific projects.
- Identify beneficiaries for the program from the target community.
- Formation/reactivation of community committees in areas of operation of the WASH team.
- Under the supervision of the WASH activity coordinator deliver effective and appropriate Hygiene promotion sensitization/awareness to help the IDP and host communities to mitigate health risks;
- Carry out assessments, collect technical information pre and post the hygiene interventions in DTC, ORC, collective shelters and private accommodations, to assist WASH activities coordinator in the analysis of hygiene associated risks and opportunities in the targeted areas;
- Organize and training for WASH volunteers on community hygiene promotions in coordination with the WASH AC and Project manager.
- Prepare, based on quality standards, a detailed weekly HP work-plan to submit to the WASH AC
- Conduct awareness sessions to the targeted population on technical inputs and provide guidance on water, solid waste and sanitation facilities management, use and maintenance.
- Assist in data collection for monitoring of water points and other projects according to the monitoring schedule available.
- Familiarize with the data collection formats created as part of the project and use them accordingly.
- Collaborate with WASH, CNVs, GBV/Protection Volunteers and community extension workers to organize hygiene promotion activities for Nutrition, GBV/Protection beneficiaries in coordination with the respective teams, under the guidance of the WASH AC.
- Organize and supervise the distribution of Hygiene Kit during Cholera Emergency response via the mobile Unit, and sensitize people on how to use Hygiene Kit (Aqua tabs)
- Supervise and monitor the clean-up activities in the targeted areas.
- Conduct sessions to water vendors or those responsible for trucking, selling, and monitoring water collection on cholera prevention messages, the importance of safe water handling, and the purpose of chlorination.
- Prepare distribution lists and ensure proper collection of information
- Coordinate with the logistics, on HP equipment and material, and ensure reconciliation to be done after every distribution
- Ensure that community/beneficiary feedback are collected and reported on regular basis;
- Any other task not here listed and necessary to the projects achievement in the sector and area of assignment.
In addition to:
- Adherence to Humanitarian principles of Neutrality, Impartiality, Independence and Humanity
- Familiar with water quality standards and testing procedures
- Excellent communication skills with different population groups (age, gender, social status, etc.)
- Clear & timely communications to line management
- Very good knowledge of INTERSOS project, abiding by INTERSOS internal rules and guidelines and respect INTERSOS Charter of Value and Code of Ethics
- A minimum Bachelor’s degree in social sciences or similar fields high desirable;
- 2 years of professional experience working in similar position
- Prior experience in working and/or coordinating with other NGOs;
- Strong diplomatic, interpersonal and communications skills;
- Native Arabic speaker with basic knowledge of English
- Knowledge of the area of responsibility;
- Prior experience in WASH projects
- Attention to detail and structured way of approaching tasks;
- Able to ensure quick quality delivery in stressful environment;
- Ability to adhere to deadlines and respect line management;
- Ability to deal with heavy work pressure;
- Deadline for submission of application: 18 October 2020;
- Documents to be submitted: CV and Motivation Letter (incomplete applications will be not considered), in addition to contact details for minimum 2 reference persons (include position and relation)
- How to send the application: by e-mail to email@example.com (applications delivered by hand will be not considered)