Health Program Manager
Médecins du Monde (MdM) is an international humanitarian organization whose mission is to provide medical care for the most vulnerable populations, the world over, including France. It seeks to stimulate voluntary commitment from doctors, other health care providers, and from those whose expertise in other fields is needed for its activities, to enlist all competent support required for the achievement of its projects, and to seek at all times to encourage close working relationships with populations in its care.
Position: Health Program Manager
Location: Aden, Yemen
Reporting to: Field Coordinator – Aden
Functional link: Medical Coordinator – Sana’a
For our program in Yemen, we are looking for (Health Program Manager), based in Aden, to start as soon as possible.
Yemen is currently facing a complex humanitarian crisis, as the conflict has exacerbated existing chronic vulnerabilities. Consequently, Yemen is considered as one of the worst humanitarian crises.
Besides the direct loss of thousands of lives, the war, blockade and economic deterioration impacted the ability of civilians to access food, water, health and essential commodities.
Presently, MDM intervene in the Yemen in the governorates of Sanaa, Amanat Alasima, Ibb, Lahj and Abyan.
MDM strategy is based on 2 key axes:
- To provide primary healthcare services, including OPD, vaccination, nutritional care, sexual and reproductive health. 16 health facilities are directly supported.
- To provide mental healthcare and psychosocial support (MHPSS) in specific healthcare institutions and via a network of CHVs trained in detection and community awareness-raising
Under the supervision of the Field Coordinator in Aden, and functional link with the Medical Coordinator, the Health Program Manager is in charge of the implementation, follow up and supervision of the different medical activities in Southern Yemen in coordination with MdM team and partners (INGO, NGO, health authorities...).
- Ensure the consistency of MdM program according to the needs, MdM policies, national and international standards and available funds with the coordination team
- Prepare and implement medical operational action plan for MdM program in Southern Yemen in collaboration with coordination team (especially with medical coordinator and MHPSS Supervisor).
- Develop and implement evaluation systems, supervise and monitor data collection processes, and analyze the medical data on a regular basis and set up corrective measures in case of need.
- Develop and implement health surveillance system and give regular feedback on the contextual health situation.
- Supervise the medical teams for monitoring the quality of delivered services.
- React to any change by proposing program adaptation to the field coordinator and coordination team (Sanaa) if necessary (outbreaks, new needs arising, influx of IDPs, etc.).
- Support Admin Base on the elaboration and follow-up of the program’s budget (South).
- Recruit and train the medical staff (day to day and workshop) and provide hands on support to the medical team in the field.
- Provide technical support to the medical supervisors and all medical team based in Aden.
- Organize regular meetings, briefings and debriefings with the medical team and document all the discussions held for further reference when needed.
- Plan and implement thematic capacity building or specific trainings according to the identified needs for MdM medical staff.
- Maintain good inter-team communications, engender good team dynamics, and take suitable action when problems occur.
- Support team members professionally and monitor and support stress management, including regular documented team meetings for planning and reporting purposes. Liaise with the field HR in case of any support needed to build the team in the field.
- Carry out appraisals as per MdM standard requirements and procedures.
Management of medical stock and logistic chain for medical purchase
- Define in advance the drugs / consumables’ needs, and share the information to the medical coordinator for the procurement process.
- Ensure the supervision of the pharmacist (consumptions, orders & inventory) and ensure that supported health facilities receive drugs and consumables on time. Validate and cross check the consumption reports shared by the pharmacist on regular basis and discuss any discrepancies identified on regular basis.
- Ensure proper documentation and analysis of all pharmacy and medical stock reports.
4. Coordination with UN agencies, NGOs, medical and local authorities
- Participate to the different medical meetings especially the health and nutrition clusters and any relevant medical coordination mechanisms
- Develop strong links and collaborations with (I) NGOs, UN agencies to favor synergies in MDM area of interventions and avoid overlaps.
- Establish and maintain good relationship with Aden MoH to ensure all project activities are carried out with their agreement
- Organize regular meetings with district authorities and with the community leaders to maintain a full adherence to MdM medical program
- Document any meeting information gathered during the coordination meeting and share the information with the Medical Coordinator and Field Coordinator where required.
5. Reporting; communication
- Participate to MdM internal meetings
- Contribute to monthly sitrep (Situation Report).
- Participate in the writing of donor’s activity reports and proposals.
The list of missions is not exhaustive and may be changed to reflect developments and specific needs.
CONDITIONS OF THE JOB:
- Regular field visits to all sites of intervention, including Sanaa.
Training & Experience
- Medical Doctor with experience in Public health and project management.
- Significant experience in similar positions.
- Experience in outbreak management and emergency response.
- Experience in hard negotiations with local authorities, partners and staff in a tricky context.
- Ability to have a global overview of a program (not only on medical plan).
- Ability to take quick decisions according to the context in coordination with the team.
- Ability to manage a team and work in an international team.
- Reactivity, anticipation, adaptability, capacity to take initiatives.
- Organizational skills.
- Good writing and communication skills.
- Respectful of a very traditional Muslim society.
- Capacity to work and to live in tense conditions (climate, cultural context, promiscuity, isolation).
- IT Skills: Good knowledge of Windows environnement (Word, Excel, Power point…).
- Fluent English (written and oral) is compulsory.
- Knowledge of Arabic is an asset.
- Knowledge of French is an added value.
- Send CV + cover letter (including job reference) by email:
- End of submission: Monday, 30th November, 2020.
Thanks to note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for tests/interviews.