Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) is an international, independent, medical humanitarian organisation that delivers emergency aid to people affected by armed conflict, epidemics, natural disasters and exclusion from healthcare. MSF offers assistance to people based on need, irrespective of race, religion, gender or political affiliation.
MSF is advertising for the following position: Surgeon
Requirements for the position
- Essential, diploma in surgical specialty after bachelor’s degree of general physician.
- Surgical experience as stated in surgical CV/skill form (number of independently performed surgical interventions) corresponds with the surgeries that are performed in the mission and qualification is duly certified and verified.
- Desirable experience with MSF or other NGO’s in developing countries.
- Essential Arabic and English, both oral and written
- Orientation for results and quality, good team worker, flexibility, commitment, people management skills
- Desirable: computer literacy (Word, Excel)
Place of work: Alqanawis district Hodeida Governorate, Republic of Yemen
Duration: Until end of 2020 with possibility of extension.
Others: Salary: Based on the organization scale and a specialist allowance. monthly accommodation package offered and market adjustment package
Organize and carry out surgery activities, ensure pre and post-operative surgical care, in accordance with MSF policies, protocols and universal hygiene standards and in close collaboration with medical staff in the emergency, intensive wards and operation theatre in order to improve patients’ health conditions.
Main responsibilities and tasks
- Coordinates the implementation of MSF clinical policies, tools, guidelines and protocols ( antibiotic prophylaxis, post-operative pain management, thrombo-prophylaxis, , c-sections and obstetrical emergencies, blood transfusion, etc) and recommendations (standard hygiene and sterilization rules, prevention to HIV, TB, Syphilis and Hep B exposure) in order to minimize clinical risks.
- Undertake pre-operative consultations, evaluating the surgical risks with the anaesthetist and/or gynaecologist and other medical staff involved, and obtaining the patient’s signed consent to operate.
- Carry out emergency surgical interventions following MSF protocols and policies including swab counts, ensuring appropriate use of surgical equipment and proper OT registry entry/documentation of all OT intervention.
- Carry out post-operative clinical care and ward rounds collaborating with the anesthetist, the Operating Theatre Nurse and ward staff or other Unit Managers to ensure compliance with MSF protocols and rational use of medicines. Attend IPD, Triage and Maternity room when required.
- In collaboration with the OT nurse and anaesthetist, carry-out the collection and analysis of quantitative surgical- anaesthesia data, using post-operative observation sheets, routine data collected, patient files, operating department register, patient file, etc to monitor quality. Monthly revue data and analyze clinical trends and comment on adverse events / poor clinical outcome. Support organizing the operating program and with OT staff monitor use of material and equipment and advise on instrument needs and coordinates patient referral.,
- Actively participate in the emergency disaster response plan of the hospital along with the MFP, the anesthetist and the medical doctor and /or the responsible nurse.
- Knows and helps implement the accidental blood exposure policy.
- Actively collaborate in the training of the staff in order to ensure the amount of knowledge required and to improve people diagnosing, triage, and early detection capabilities.
- Actively collaborates in the training of the OT staff, indicating to the nurses the needed instrument and items during surgery in order to facilitate their capacities develop. Encourage and accept the presence of OT nurses (other than the supervisor) during surgery in order to assess needs of training and facilitate the on-job training. Discuss with the OT Supervisor the evolution of the staff and the needs of trainings.
- Supports other medical teams/wards when needed
- Interested applicants should send a detailed CV and cover letter in English, ID, certificates and copy of a valid work permit from the medical council in Sanaa to the following email address: email@example.com
with the title “Surgeon” in the Subject Field and before the end of 31th Dec 2020.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted