Muslim Hands YEMEN – WASH Engineering
Muslim Hands is an international relief and development non-government organization established in 1993. The organization is currently working in 52 countries. Muslim Hands works both directly and with partners to carry out short- and long-term projects in education, health livelihoods, WASH and emergency relief.
This an exciting time to join an international NGO with over 26 years’ experience across 52 countries. Muslim Hands Yemen is undergoing new and positive changes. We are building on the capacity of the office, looking to implement new and innovative projects alongside opening new fundraising channels. This role is seen as pivotal to the long-term vision for Muslim Hands Yemen.
Position: WASH Engineering
Reports to: Senior Wash officer.
Location: Aden – essential travel is required to other areas of Yemen
Contract Type: FT ( six month with possibility of extension)
The WASH Engineering reports to WASH Engineer. He/ She will make sure the quality of technical works) to be done according to SPHERE, MH and Donors’ standard. Additionally, ensuring that the projects activities are well coordinated with relevant governmental sides (local councils) and non-governmental sides (INGOs and NGOs working in same operation area). S/he reports directly to WASH Engineer, coordinates, and liaises with other project team members.
Program planning and implementation:
- Carry out technical studies-(designing/reviewing/developing construction)- related documents (e.g. designs, BOQ, tender documents, news ad, monitoring forms and payment disbursement forms/documents)
- Plan program construction/rehabilitation activities in coordination with the Wash Team Leader programs staffs.
- Determine scope for chosen works, including technical specifications
- Assess on-site progress and participate in site identification to develop a site selection criteria list, as per the technical assessment
- Participate in the tender analysis process and contracting, as per PM’s request, and ensure tenders are carried out according to MH standards.
- Develop new field/construction management/monitoring plans, in line with other activities, to ensure coordination and efficient use of resources.
- Participate in selection process of technician’s supervisors in the field to ensure the construction/rehabilitation works are implemented properly and with line of agreed specifications.
- Work closely with the program team to mobilize the target communities and other relevant sides in order to make them good sensitized with whole program activities including WASH interventions.
- Assist program team in all soft work activities (carrying out baseline survey/Assessments, formation of community committees).
- Visit the field to ensure contractors are respecting all aspects of MH standards
- Provide capacity building to program technical staff and all WASH activities in the field.
- Solve any problems that may happen in the field by coordination with the relevant sides (community committees, Community leaders and Local Authority and report it to the program assistant.
- Monitor resources and coordinate vehicle usage in the field with program staff.
Reporting and Liaising
- Organize and coordinate meetings on WASH construction related issues when required.
- Support Wash Team Leader in communication with district and local authorities about WASH constructions and site assessment.
Training and record keeping:
- Participate and lead in developing training material for WASH program construction, monitoring and maintenance
- Participate in the development of the MH Yemen WASH Strategy and Guidelines.
- Conduct sessions with other program staff to discuss and understand all technical aspects of WASH including construction needs, community participation and quality control.
- Prepare all the required technical monitoring forms including Cash For Work forms and disseminate them to the technicians supervisors to ensure construction/rehabilitation works are implemented in a timely manner and ensuring Cash payments are pied to the local contractors/beneficiaries based on the rate of achievements.
- Write/compile monthly construction progress reports, and translate as required if required.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS:
- Bachelor’s degree in Civil or Environmental Engineering, preferably in water and sanitation.
- Good communication skills with the host communities and Internal Displaced Persons (IDPs)
- Knowledge of designing water and sanitation systems
- Experience in conducting trainings
- English, speaking and writing.
- 2-3 years of experience in WASH related activities
- Ability to work under pressure
- Sensitive to gender issues and Gender Equity and Diversity (GED) principles.
Qualified candidates meeting the above requirements are requested to send their CV to the email below putting the job title as the email subject to be considered OR will note be:
The closing date for applications is 06 December 2020