National Project Officer
Position : National Project Officer
Organizational Unit : Migration Health Unit
Duty Station : Yemen, Sana’a
IOM Classification : NOA
Type of Appointment : Special Short-Term (SST) Graded Contract, 6 Months (With a possibility of renewal)
SVN No. : SVN2020/144
Estimated Start Date : As soon as possible
Closing Date : Wednesday 25 November 2020
Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Internal and external candidates are eligible to apply to this vacancy. For the purpose of the vacancy, internal candidates are considered as first-tier candidates.
Organizational Context and Scope:
Under the overall supervision of the Deputy Chief of Mission, and the direct supervision of the Senior Programmes Coordinator (MH), the incumbent is responsible for providing technical operational, partnership and coordination support to migration health unit including support supervision of health services to migrants and IDPs and managing the healthcare staff working in health facilities in coordination with technical lead officers (Medical Assistant) and Senior Programmes Coordinator in Sana’a hub. He/she will:
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
1. Supervise and coordinate the provision of health services to target beneficiaries in governorates covered under the Sana’a hub;
2. Supervise the medical team leaders and their daily tasks and attendance and coordinate their shifts and leaves; 3. Maintain close coordination with outreach partner NGOs and provide technical support to the field colleagues and their activities:
4. Prepare and submit requests for procurement, including medical and non-medical purchases for the health facilities supported by IOM and support in management of pharmaceutical and non-pharmaceutical medical supplies.
5. Ensure the highest level of quality of health services at IOM/IOM supported health facilities is maintained, including but not limited to, effective infection prevention and control measures, effective prescription of medications and implementation of waste management controls;
6. Ensure systematic data collection, compilation and reporting on all health activities are provided to Sana’a level; 7. Conduct field visits to IOM clinics and field assessments for any new interventions as required;
8. Assist in planning and coordinating for contingency plans, strategic views and new interventions; 9. In collaboration with Senior Programmes Coordinator (MH) and Human Resources Unit, assist in the recruitment of MHU national staff. This include shortlisting and follow-up with HR unit on the progress of the recruitment. 10. Liaise and coordinate with local Government and health authorities and other stakeholders with a view to strengthening of health care delivery systems in IOM supported facilities in coordination with Senior Programmes Coordinator
11. Support on capacity building of medical staff including evaluation of training needs, organizing on job & in-service trainings to health staff.
12. In coordination with the Senior Programme Coordinator, represent IOM Yemen in national taskforces, health cluster meetings and working groups on health-related issues, upon request.
13. Undertake other related duties as assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- University Degree in Health discipline or related area from an accredited academic institution with five years of continuous relevant professional working experience preferably in migration health, epidemiology and/or public health. An additional post graduate qualification is desirable; knowledge of structures and functions of national health systems, international health agencies and donors
- Experience in managing and coordinating health emergency Programme.
- Demonstrated ability to supervise and direct staff and create team-oriented environment; Demonstrated ability in project proposals and reports writing;
- Strong level of analytical skills and computer literacy.
English and Arabic
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate. Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies1 – behavioural indicators level 2
- Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
- Empowering others and building trust: creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
- Strategic thinking and vision: works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
- Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
- Only candidates residing in the country of the duty station within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered.
- Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, national of the country with automatic right to live and work in the country, and security clearances.
- Female with the above qualifications are encouraged to apply.
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via the following link
All applications should include a functional email address, mobile numbers and detailed curriculum vitae (CV).
“Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted”
Posting period: 15 Nov 2020 to 25 Nov 2020