Search for Common Ground (Search) is an international non-profit organization that promotes peaceful resolution of conflict. Search’s mission is to transform how individuals, organizations, and governments deal with conflict - away from adversarial approaches and toward cooperative solutions. Search seeks to help conflicting parties understand their differences and act on their commonalities. With a total of approximately 400 staff worldwide, Search implements projects from 39 offices in 36 countries, including in Africa, Asia, Europe, the Middle East, and the United States. The organization is an exciting and rewarding place to work at, with a dedicated and enthusiastic staff who love their work. You will be joining a highly motivated staff with a good team spirit and there will be opportunities to grow in the role.
Search has been working in Yemen since 2010 to promote social cohesion through work with youth, media, and women’s groups across the country. Search Yemen is seeking highly qualified individuals for the following position:
The Yemen Conflict Sensitivity Platform is a program implemented in Aden, Sana’a (Yemen) and Amman (Jordan) and funded by the Government of the United Kingdom; the Conflict, Stability and Security Fund (CSSF). The program aims to promote peace and stability in Yemen through enhancing conflict sensitive approaches and practices for actors planning and delivering assistance. This will be achieved through ensuring that (i) actors (humanitarian, peacebuilding, stabilization, recovery and development) providing assistance into Yemen agree on collective actions to ensure the conflict sensitivity of their programmes; (ii) sufficient capacity exists for actors to deliver assistance in a conflict sensitive manner; and (iii) national and organizational policies and overall engagement strategies are better placed to support peace and stability in Yemen.
The activities include monitoring of conflict dynamics, establishment and running of technical-level forums for collective planning, establishment of Conflict Sensitivity Resource Centers (online and in-person), ongoing support for institutional capacity development on conflict sensitivity, and mentoring to relevant agencies/assistance stakeholders.
Title: Research Assistant
Reports to: YCSP Research Coordinator
Note: Applicants must be nationals of Yemen.
Based in Aden - Yemen, the Research Assistant will report to the Knowledge Management Coordinator in Sanaa, Yemen and will provide research support for the “The Yemen Conflict Sensitivity Platform” project under the research team.
The Research Assistant will report to the Research Coordinator and will work closely with other team members, and is responsible for performing the following:
- Conduct desk reviews to inform commencement of and ongoing field data collection.
- Compile an initial literature review, guided by the research coordinator, and conduct updates at key intervals during the project’s lifetime.
- Lead research/publication task with the support of the senior research team and in comply with YCSP internal publications process SOP.
- Identify and contact key stakeholders required for field interviews.
- Support the development of necessary field data collection tools alongside M&E staff.
- Develop an interview and data collection schedule and data analysis matrix alongside M&E staff.
- Maintain a database of key stakeholders and work-related partners.
- Reviewing publications and studies related to YCSP strategic objective work and share summary to related unit when requested
Data collection and analysis
- Conduct the research as planned, taking and consolidating notes on an ongoing basis.
- Enter data collected into data analysis matrix, with supervision from M&E staff.
- With oversight by the supervisor, write technical sections for team documents, briefing materials, and presentations.
- Conduct data cleaning, coding, tabulation, interpretation and visualizing.
- Summarize and analyze the key findings and learnings in regular reports.
- Assist/ contribute in the preparation of written reports for monthly and quarterly internal reporting.
- Participate in external meetings
- Build relationships and engages effectively with collaborators.
As job descriptions cannot be exhaustive, the position holder may be required to undertake other duties that are in line with the above key responsibilities.
Competency Behavior Indicators (Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities)
- Working with People: respect the views and contributions of other team members; shows empathy, listens, supports; consults others and shares information and expertise, builds team spirit and adapts to the team. Work across functions from a multicultural perspective that reflects consideration of other cultures, other viewpoints, and other ways of doing things.
- Flexibility: adapt to changing circumstances and priorities, tolerate ambiguity, adapt personal style to different people and situations.
- Drive for Results and Efficiency: set quality standards, monitor and maintain quality of work, and set goals to achieve continuous improvement. Focuses on the key objectives of a task or project.
- Relationship Management: manage interactions, to provide service and to support the organization while building an effective internal and external network. Interact with others and handle problems/situations with tact. Periodic external engagement as requested.
- Leadership and Navigation: manage and contribute to initiatives and processes within the organization while making progress toward change and continuous improvement.
- Communication: effectively exchange information with others, effectively deliver critical information, to gather information and communicate with others.
- Global and Cultural Effectiveness: value and consider the perspectives and backgrounds of all parties and be able to work cross-culturally. Sensitively recognizes moral situations.
- Ethical Practice: integrate Search vision, mission and core values, integrity and accountability throughout all organizational and business practices.
- Business Acumen: understand and apply information to contribute to the organization's strategic plan.
- Commitment to Search Values: Shared Humanity - Empathy - Impartiality - Inclusivity - Courage - Hope - Humility - Audacity
Education and Experience
Minimum qualifications: Bachelor of science/Bachelor of arts in peacebuilding/ social studies/ politics/ anthropology/ English language/ Translation or any other related field, with minimum 2 years’ experience in NGOs/INGOs.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Language skills: Native speaker of Arabic, fluent command on English
Presentation skills: Strong writing and summarizing skills
Computer skills: Familiar with Microsoft Office Applications, esp. Word, Excel and PowerPoint
Others: Familiarity with Yemeni context is a must. Familiarity with SPSS, R or Stata is a plus. Evidence of research writing is highly preferable.
Working Conditions and Physical Requirements
Usual office environment conditions; ability to travel within governorates of Yemen.
Supervisory and Budget Responsibility: None
December 5th, 2020 Due to the urgent need for filling this position, applicants are advised to apply as soon as possible. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Applications will not be considered once the position for this vacancy is filled.
To apply, interested candidates should send the following items to our employment portal here:
- Updated resume
- Cover Letter
Only applicants invited for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls please. Please see our website www.sfcg.org for full details of our work.
All Search Employees must adhere to the values: Shared Humanity - Empathy - Impartiality - Inclusivity - Courage - Hope - Humility - Audacity. In accordance with these values, Search enforces compliance with the Code of Conduct and related policies on Anti Workplace Harassment, Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Conflict of Interest and Anti-fraud.
Search for Common Ground does not and shall not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion (creed), gender, gender expression, age, national origin (ancestry), disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or military status, in any of its activities or operations.For more information on Search, including its core values and competencies, please visit Search website at www.sfcg.org