Health Program Officer
Position: Health Program Officer
Vacancy Reference Number: HPO2-SNA/20
PURPOSE OF DIVISION:
Health Department works with country program team in identifying, planning, implementing, monitoring and evaluating live saving and development program in collaboration with local, national and international partners.
The overall objective of health department is to save and improve lives of the targeted beneficiaries and contribute to a reduction in morbidity and mortality amongst Yemen community by supporting Ministry of Public Health and Populations (MOPHP) in provision of key primary, secondary and tertiary health services and other emergency health services prioritizing the most vulnerable groups in collaboration with International donors, I/NGOs, UN agencies and other health/nutrition stakeholders
The Health Program Officer will be part of the health team in the country office and work towards supporting all funded health projects. She/he will specifically be responsible for technical oversight and successful implementation of different health projects. She/he will provide technical support to field based staff implementing the health project with, track performance progresses and guide project team to meet project targets, and conduct regular monitoring visits as well as assist the Health Program Coordinator in business development initiatives and on other strategic assignments including assessment and fund raising.
In addition, the Health Program officer will, on an on-going basis, support the health program coordinator to assess current health needs and assist in program development to secure funding for new projects from a range of donors. Support the health program coordinator to ensure the qualified implementation of the health project following the national and international guidelines of different health programmers. He / She will work in close coordination with Nutrition and WASH Departments and ensure the integration of interventions in the same-targeted areas.
Key Roles and Responsibilities
- Compile and collect data and review target and ensure timely reporting from the field offices.
- Narrative and statistical reporting of funded health projects
- Prepare and document all means of verification for activities achieved and reviewing that target.
- Work closely with MEAL department on reporting and monitoring of projects.
- Support the field health officer to Monitor the implementation of health projects, prepare implementation plan, tracking of the indicators, ensure the achievement of the project proposed goals, outcomes, outputs and activities, and guide them to achieve project targets.
- Identify performance gaps and design interventions and develop action plans in collaboration with project managers to manage activities and improve quality of services
- Ensure quality of clinical and non-clinical service provision in IRY supported health facilities according to national, WHO or international standards through communication of standards, assessing and monitoring performance against standards and guiding and motivating staff to meet and maintain standards
- In collaboration with the Health Program Coordinator, monitor quality standards across all project sites of health projects identified for this position
- Participate in Provide timely and quality inputs to project design and funding proposals, including writing of technical narrative content, developing log frames, and budgeting.
- Support the health Program coordinator in providing technical supervision of all IRY health projects in designated region(s). Extend technical support and supervision to the IRY’s implementing partners (MOPHP) when requested.
- Assist the health program coordinator in Representing IRY in national and subnational health cluster meeting and meetings among key stakeholders including MOPHP, NAMSH and other related sectors.
- Maintain documentation of relevant information and communicate to the health program coordinator regularly
- Ensure that health interventions in Yemen IRY sub office adhere to IRY’s core policy documents and guidelines, including the implementation and monitoring plan.
- Perform other duties assigned by the health program coordinator
- Ensure that health grants are implemented according to internal IRY and donor regulations and directed toward the project proposed Goals, outcome, outputs and activities.
- Support field staff in use of grant management tools such as the budget tracking tools, activity progress monitoring tools, procurement plans, etc.
- Ensure that budgets are spent according to plan and as per contractual agreements with respective donors.
- Support the health coordinator to Conduct monthly BVA reviews and make appropriate recommendations to the finance and logistics staff in Sana’a as well as to the field based health staff.
Monitoring & Evaluation
- Ensure that the stated goals and objectives of all health projects overseen by the position are met with strong monitoring and evaluation follow up and reports are written and submitted to concerned bodies in a timely manner.
- Participate in the design and delivery of M&E plans and design/adapt health information systems including surveillance systems for the IRY health programs.
- Ensure the regular collection of the project required data according to the planned activities and indicators following the MOPHP and health cluster data base and Prepare regular reports as required for the respective donors and for IRY Health sector in consultation with the Health Coordinator.
- Support the health coordinator to Conduct regular project review meetings with field based staff to assess the level of achievement of project targets for the various health grants.
- Monitor the implementation of different primary health care programs (curative care including integrated management of childhood illness, IMCI, reproductive health programs, ANC,PNC,FP, Normal Deliveries and Essential New-born Care, EPI and Basic Laboratory in the field office supported health facilities.
Human Resource Management
- Participate in the staff development plans for project staff based on performance reviews in collaboration with the human resources department and contribute to the training of health staffs (mentoring, on-the-job sessions as well as formal trainings).
- In consultation with the Health Coordinator and Admin & HR Coordinator, review applicants for all health positions and assist in the recruitment of qualified health staff for the field offices.
- Support the health coordinator in Represent IRY to local communities, government departments, international agencies, local partners and donors as required.
- Attend relevant meetings, prepare meeting notes as required, and share these with all concerned.
- Prepare regular timely and high quality monthly, quarterly, biannual and annual donor narrative and financial project report of the different health project and any other reports requested by the donors in accordance to appropriate guidelines.
- Review all reports prepared by the field staff in assigned sub-office (s) and provide appropriate feedback to the concerned staff.
- Ensue active coordination, communication and building of strong relationship amongst relevant stakeholders (government, national/local authorities, donors, I/NGOs, local NGOs tc) and to ensure regular and effective communication is maintained within the implementation team, project partners and donors.
- Supervise the Preparation of a success story for the different implemented project and ensure satisfied documentation of the project.
- Supervise the health assistant in the archiving of all document related to the project and all reports and minute of any conducted meeting.
- Facilitate the conduction of different health training and ensure all national guidelines are adhered to in all project areas and in line with acceptable SPHERE standards.
- Participate in the preparedness and implementation of emergency activities.
- Coordinate with different IRY sectors required for the implementation of the targeted activities like procurement department for the tendering of any planned distribution of supplies.
- With support from project logistic, ensure proper management of pharmaceuticals and other medical supplies.
- Conduct any other work provided by the health department in the country office.
- Management of project budget and working closely with the Finance department to ensure effective financial and budgetary control of the project according to IRW’s and donors policies and procedures
- Preferably Bachelor of Medicine/Pharmacy or bachelor degree in other equivalent qualifications.
- At least three (3) years’ experience in health and nutrition project design, planning, implementing and evaluating integrated community based health programmes in emergency/relief context.
Experience / Skills
- At least 3 years of professional experience in implementing and managing health programs and related budgets.
- Experience supervising, managing, and providing technical support and assistance to field-based program/project staff
- At least three years experience with an International NGO
- Desirable Demonstrated experience in proposal development, including practical experience with budgeting, log frame development, and writing of technical descriptions
- Sound knowledge and experience in primary and secondary health care services.
- Experience in working with various International NGOs in developing countries and more so in emergency response programming.
- Ability to represent, liaise and negotiate at different levels (national, provincial and local) with NGOs/ INGOs, donors, government, etc.
- Excellent verbal/written communication and relationship building skills. Strong written and spoken English skills.
- Excellent Microsoft package skills (Ms Word, Ms Excel, Power-point)
Understanding of and commitment to safeguarding, child safety and protection from sexual abuse and exploitation principles.
Interested and qualified candidates are requested to Click Here
- All applications must include the vacancy reference number in the Reference No. Applications without the correct reference number will not be considered.
- Qualified Females are strongly encouraged to apply
- Only Short –listed candidates will be contacted.