Yemen Systems, Health and Resiliency Project (SHARP)
Job Title: Communications Specialist
Position Type: Full-Time
Reports to: Chief of Party
Posting Location: Aden, Yemen
John Snow, Inc. (JSI), a Boston-based public health management firm dedicated to providing high quality technical and managerial assistance to public health programs throughout the United States and the low- and middle-income countries. JSI is seeking a Communications Specialist for the USAID funded System, Health and Resiliency Project (SHARP) in Yemen.
The Systems, Health, and Resiliency Project (SHARP) is a three-year (2019-2022), USAID-supported project that will work to reduce maternal and infant mortality in Yemen. SHARP has three goals: 1) improve maternal and child health outcomes, 2) increase community engagement in the health sector, and 3) improve the resiliency of Yemen’s health system. The project focuses on improving priority health services with an emphasis on reproductive, maternal, newborn, child health, and nutrition. This is coupled with support services to mitigate life-threatening challenges such as malnutrition, cholera, and diarrhea. SHARP is implemented by John Snow, Inc. (JSI), Search for Common Ground, Yemen Family Care Association, and the National Yemeni Midwives Association.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assist the Technical Director, M&E Director, and Chief of Party in the implementation of SHARP project strategic information plan.
- Capture quality photos and short videos during project events and field activities for project publicity and communication purposes; sharing them with Communications Advisor/Home Office.
- Responsible for developing project promotional materials (print and electronic), such as fact sheets, brochures/leaflets as needed, for public awareness events and relevant international awareness days, working with the SBC technical leads as needed
- Develop and maintain relationships with local media including electronic outlets to increase awareness of the project.
- Responsible for liaising with Technical Director and Home Office-based communications advisor to develop press releases and success stories, and social media content for the donor and JSI.
- Responsible for ensuring that the project is compliant with donor branding and marking requirements.
- Assist in procuring and taking responsibility for managing service providers in relation to communication activities (printing, designing, etc).
- Support special studies, assessments, and/or evaluations undertaken in order to evaluate our work and answer learning questions.
- Support the technical and M&E teams with reviewing and editing all program reports for the donor.
- Participate in program activities and coordination meetings as requested.
- Ensure proper filing and archiving of all communication materials and documents.
- Responsible for implementing JSI's Accountability Framework and Code of Conduct, and adhering to JSI's polices on fraud management.
- Travel to project locations in the field, as needed.
- Perform any other tasks as assigned by the Supervisor.
- University degree in Journalism or Communications with extensive experience in photography/ videography is required.
- 2- 3 years of relevant professional experience in a similar setting and capacity is required.
- Previous experience with donor reporting and communications preferred.
- Ability to write clear, concise, and articulate program reports and communications materials with minimal oversight and editing.
- Excellent organizational, and communication skills and teamwork-oriented.
- Excellent analytical, problem solving, negotiation and organization skills.
- Very good in written and verbal English and Arabic is required. Must be able to read and interpret documents, and communicate with others as necessary to perform job duties effectively
- Ability to work under pressure and manage personal stress levels.
- Sense of neutrality and ability to work across Yemen, in cooperation with all parties to the conflict.
- Proficient in standard Microsoft Office package (Word, Excel, Outlook) and typing; familiarity with the Google Suite preferred.
- Willingness and ability to travel to the field in Yemen.
To apply, please send your CV to the following email address and make sure to mention the job title in the subject field of your email: