IYCF Assistant (Infant and Young Child Feeding)
Job Title: IYCF Assistant (Infant and Young Child Feeding)
Duty Station: One position in AL-Dahlee (1)
Salary Level: Step one
International Medical Corps is a global, humanitarian, non-profit organization dedicated to saving lives and relieving suffering through health care training and relief and development programs. Established in 1984 by volunteer doctors and nurses, International Medical Corps is a private, voluntary, non-political, non-sectarian organization. Its mission is to improve the quality of life through health interventions and related activities that build local capacity in underserved communities worldwide. By offering training and health care to local populations and medical assistance to people at highest risk, and with the flexibility to respond rapidly to emergency situations, International Medical Corps rehabilitates devastated health care systems and supports their self-reliance. International Medical Corps began working in Yemen in February 2012 implementing a range of programs in Sana'a, Lahj, Aden, Ibb and Taiz focused on primary health care, nutrition, WASH, and food security and livelihoods. Since the outbreak of conflict in 2015, International Medical Corps' interventions have focused on urgent, life-saving interventions.
This position is to strengthen IYCF interventions at health facility and community level in the project areas funded by OFDA. It aims at contributing to a health mother and the baby especially during the first 1000 days of baby life.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Spearhead all Infant and Young Child Feeding activities at Health facility and community level through Mother support group approach, working with Community Health Supervisors and CHVs.
- Support in establishment of Mother support groups in the project area, ensure that on a monthly basis the groups are supported to carry out IYCF and Hygiene sessions.
- Assess Mother Support group progress they are making, by participating in Mother support group sessions, provide support needed. Organize with procurement and logistics in procurement and distribution of the mother support groups supplies/materials.
- Support in establishment of Baby and mother friendly space and ensure it is functional at Health facility level.
- Provide technical support to the midwife’s/health facility workers in order to have IYCF counselling services provided to mothers/caregivers, with challenges/difficulties in practicing optimal IYCF.
- Train the Community health workers/volunteers on how to use the IYCF and Hygiene promotion IEC material, to enable them effectively deliver Key messages, in a manner that it is easy for the communities to remember, and adopt the practices.
- Working closely with Health and WASH team, nutrition treatment team, to ensure that nutrition messages are intergraded in all Health facilities and outreach activities.
- Draw and share weekly social behavior Change interventions plan, collect weekly and monthly data and submit reports timely to the nutrition officer and Senior M&E officer.
- Develop innovative methodologies that will enhance effective sharing of IYCF and hygiene messages, that are acceptable and adheres to the community culture and norms.
- Work closely with the community and create feedback mechanism path way, that will enable communities to provide feedback to the program and that the program team respond to issues raised by the affected population timely.
- Actively promote PSEA (Prevention of Sexual Exploitation and Abuse) standards within International Medical Corps and amongst beneficiaries served by International Medical Corps.
- Compliance & Ethics: Promotes and encourages a culture of compliance and ethics throughout International Medical Corps. As applicable to the position, maintains a clear understanding of International Medical Corps’ and donor compliance and ethics standards and adheres to those standards. Conducts work with the highest level of integrity.
Reporting to: Nutrition officer, senior
Directly supervise: IYCF promotion
- Bachelor’s degree/Diploma in medicine, dentistry, Nursing, medical assistant or in nutrition/health is required.
- At least 1 years of relevant work experience in CMAM and IYCF.
- Previous experience working for an international NGO.
- Strong organizational and communication skills, with the ability to effectively present information and respond appropriately to questions from senior managers in the field.
- Ability and willingness to travel to project sites as needed.
- Good report writing skills and strong in use of MS Office, EXCEL, Email applications.
- Strong English and Arabic skills, written and spoken. Ability to write reports in English is required.
“International Medical Corps is proud to provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, gender, age, disability or status as a veteran.”
To apply, please send your CV to the following email:
To be considered, please mention the Job Title in the Subject Field of your email