Ended Laboratory Supervisor
– LABORATORY SUPERVISOR –
Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) is an international, independent, medical humanitarian organisation that delivers emergency aid to people affected by armed conflict, epidemics, natural disasters and exclusion from healthcare. MSF offers assistance to people based on need, irrespective of race, religion, gender or political affiliation.
MSF is advertising for the following position: LABORATORY SUPERVISOR
Requirements for the position
- Essential degree as Laboratory Technician
- Essential 2 years experience in a laboratory, preferably as a Lab Tech.
- Desirable in MSF or another NGO, desirable in a clinical laboratory
- Essential Arabic and English
- Essential computer literacy (Word, Excel and Internet)
Place of work: AL QANAWIS District, Hodeida governorate, Republic of Yemen
Duration: Until the end of 2020, with possibility of extension
Others: Salary: Based on the organization scale
Planning, organizing and carrying out laboratory activities and supervising the laboratory staff according to MSF protocols, security measures and hygiene standards, in order to support the MSF medical team in the diagnosis of patients’ diseases.
Main responsibilities and tasks:
- Participating in the project planning and follow-up and reviewing the laboratory budget when necessary in order to support MSF’s medical activities.
- Ensuring the compliance of MSF hygiene and safety protocols, both individually and collectively as well as informing staff of existing biological risks.
- Performing laboratory tests and carrying out sample collection (serology, hematology, biochemistry, bacteriology, parasitology...) in accordance with prescriptions as well as ensuring that quality control tests are carried out regularly. Informing the doctor of the results of the tests and keeping a record of the analysis with data from patients.
- Ensuring proper management (cleaning, maintenance, arranging) of all laboratory equipment and the adequate supply of needed equipment and material in order to prevent stock-outs. This includes being responsible for all required automatic instrument calibration, ensuring that no material is taken out of laboratories without prior authorization and carrying out a proper storage system and conditions, inventory, etc. In cooperation with logistics department, ensuring that cold chain is properly maintained in Laboratory areas for both, samples and reagents.
- In the absence of a Laboratory Manager, ensuring proper registration and needs of all lab related activities and implementing a correct use of the associated management tool (EpyTryp. Etc.) in order to have a proper recording of laboratory activities. Preparing and sending slides/samples for external quality control.
- Supervising, in close coordination with the HR department, the associated processes (recruitment, training/induction, coaching, evaluation, potential detection, development and communication) of the staff under his/her responsibility in order to ensure both the sizing and the amount of knowledge required.
- Ensuring that all staff using medical devices are qualified and trained. Ensuring cleaning and minor maintenance tasks are performed according to the protocols. Reporting any malfunction to the project biomedical service.
- Producing regular reports on the testing and on any issues/ problems related to laboratory personnel and/ or the material used.
- Essential experience in blood grouping, blood collection from donors, preservation and transfusion related procedures. Knowledge of blood bank management.
- Essential experience in microscope use (thick and thin blood smears, manual blood cell count, etc).
- Essential experience in laboratory department at hospital setting.
Interested candidates are invited to send detailed CV, cover letter in English, copy of valid work permit from the medical council in Sanaa, copy of their ID and previous work certificates to the following email address: email@example.com
Or in the MSF office in Al Qanawis.
Deadline for the submission of applications is before the end of Thursday 26/11/2020.
Please mention the position title “LABORATORY SUPERVISOR” in the subject of the email, otherwise the application won’t be considered.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for a technical test and interview.