Position: Referral Assistant
Reports to: Referral Officer
Duration: 01st December,20 to 31st March,21
Relief International is a leading nonprofit organization working in 20 countries to relieve poverty, ensure wellbeing and advance dignity. We specialize in fragile settings, responding to natural disasters, humanitarian crises and chronic poverty. Relief International combines humanitarian and development approaches to provide immediate services while laying the groundwork for long-term impact. Our signature approach which we call the RI Way emphasizes local participation, an integration of services, strategic partnerships, and a focus on civic skills. In this way, we empower communities to find, design and implement the solutions that work best for them. In Yemen, RI implements integrated Health, Nutrition, WASH, and Food security and livelihoods interventions in partnership with local authorities, relevant line ministries and other humanitarian actors in country.
The Field Referral Assistant is responsible for coordinating specialty care for the referred cases between RI-Supported HFs at different levels with critical medical problems who need transfer from primary to secondary levels of health care.
The Field Referral Assistant also will be responsible for scheduling, tracking, referral case management and providing reports. The Field Referral Assistant will represent the organization professionally and positively to enhance and promote the core values and mission of RI, always exercising utmost discretion, diplomacy and tact.
The Field Referral Assistant works under direct supervision of Referral Officer and general supervision of the Senior Referral Officer, he/she will supervise the Health Facilities Referral Assistants.
The position requires a flexible working schedule. Allowing working hours during day and night times if needed. Due to the nature of the mission, flexibility in tasks will be asked for in order to assure the good functioning of the mission and the well-being of the patients.
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
- Monitor and ensure the proper application of RI Referral Policies by following all the referral processes and their outcomes at field level.
- Works closely with Field Officers and assistants, local authorities (DHOs and local councils) and referral hospitals staff to ensure well implantation to referral activity.
- Works closely with Referral officer and field staff to ensure activation of the primary level of referral system (referral from community to PHFs), this includes CHVs training, meetings with local community leaders and conducting of proper community awareness.
- Ensures a correct flow of the patients referred by RI-supported health facilities to RI-supported and non-supported referral hospitals.
- Ensures that the referral policy is understood by the patients and their relatives.
- Coordinate between RI supported HFs and referral hospitals to ensure proper and smooth referral process including the mean of transportation.
- Train and supervise the Health Facilities Referral Assistants on the referral procedures.
- Facilitates admission procedures for the patients that are referred to the referral hospitals, in case of facing any problem, and do the regular follow up of the cases while admitted and ensure that they are receiving good quality care and ensure patients safety.
- Ensure proper data collection of the referred patients (hospital, drivers and patients perdium documents) and share the evolution and the outcome with the referral officer.
- Maintain ongoing tracking and appropriate documentation on referrals.
- Ensures applying Medical Data Confidentiality Protocols that protect patient medical and personal information according to RI’s Referral Policies.
- Assist patients in problem solving potential issues related to the healthcare system, financial or social barriers (e.g., request interpreters as appropriate, transportation services or prescription assistance).
- Delivery of daily cash-perdiem to the admitted cases or their relatives in the based hospital.
- Strong competency in tracking daily clinic and inpatient procedure schedules. Remind patients of scheduled appointments via mobile, if needed.
- Ensure that referrals are addressed in a timely manner.
- Send daily and weekly reports about all the cases referred to the Referral officer.
- Report any problem in a timely manner to the Referral Officer.
- Perform any other duties assigned by the supervisor.
Qualifications and Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree in medicine with strong clinical background.
- At least 2 years’ experience working in the field.
- Experience in case management, referrals, protection monitoring would be considered a strong asset.
- Previous experience working with NGOs/INGOs is highly preferred.
- Fluent in Arabic and English (speaking, reading, writing).
- Excellent command of Microsoft Office.
- Show diplomacy, good communication and has good interpersonal skills.
- Possess multi-cultural flexibility and experience.
- Strong organizational skills and good ability to make proactive suggestions.
- Calm, listen rigorously, able to work under pressure and handle stressful situation.
- Able to manage priorities, take initiatives and work without constant supervision.
- Must be living in Shabwah or ready to relocate
We uphold the Humanitarian Principles: humanity, neutrality, impartiality, and operational independence. We affirmatively engage the most vulnerable communities. We value:
- Transparency and Accountability
- Agility and Innovation
- Qualified candidates meeting the above requirements are requested to send their CVs in English to Aden.email@example.com
before midnight of December 02 for submitting their application with the vacancy reference subject :HR/20/96.
Interested candidates are encouraged to apply as soon as possible and not to wait until the closing date.
- Females Candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.