Ended Advisor (Capacity Development of Local Authorities)
Vacancy Announcement for National Personnel for the German International Cooperation / Good Governance Support for Yemen – GGSY implemented by the GIZ Office Sana’a.
The wide range of services offered by the Deutsche Gesellschaft fuer Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH are based on a wealth of regional and technical expertise and on tried and tested management know–how. We are a German Federal enterprise and offer workable, sustainable and effective solutions in political, economic and social change processes.
- Position: Advisor (Capacity Development of Local Authorities)
- End of Contract: 30.09.2021 renewable based on performance and the project status
- Post Location: Dhamar or Ibb, final location will be determined in the first half of 2021
The Advisor is responsible for:
- managing the strategic planning and implementation of measures in relation to developing the capacities of Local Authorities in Yemen in a specific Governorate (preliminary suggestions to the commissioning party will be Dhamar or Ibb, final location to be determined in the first six months of 2021), especially regarding the capacities for cooperation within and between administrative levels in the context of service delivery;
- providing direct advisory services and building and maintaining effective partnerships with Local Authorities and other relevant stakeholders from civil society and the private sector in close cooperation with other team members;
- ensuring effective coordination on the technical level with other GIZ projects intervening in the same Governorate;
- integrating his/her area of responsibility into the overall project so that it contributes to achieving the project objectives, in accordance with team agreements and/or agreements with the superior;
- maintaining a good flow of communication and information (including across physical distance by using internet-based communication tools) between all involved partner institutions and counterparts as well as with project staff in other intervention areas and with other GIZ projects;
- contributing to the development of innovative approaches and ensure regular knowledge management and capitalisation of lessons learned within his/her area of responsibility;
- financial management and administration of agreed measures (e.g. trainings, stakeholder rounds, workshops).
- manages the development and implementation of operational project plans and activities in his/her area of responsibility in close consultation with the manager, partners, and other GIZ projects and development partners;
- provides conflict and gender sensitive advisory services for partners on establishing systematic coordination processes in the sub-national Governance system (district and governorate level);
- participates in identifying Capacity Development needs of partners, works on policy recommendations and develops a strategic approach;
- identifies and implements needs-oriented measures and instruments for the Capacity Development of partners including by drawing on relevant external expertise;
- coordinates the design, preparation and implementation of workshops, stakeholder-rounds and other activities based on the operational planning;
- works closely with the Project Coordinator and the Project Manager on all matters related to planning, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of the measures/interventions he/she is responsible for;
- develops and organises quality assurance measures for all activities and suggests necessary changes, improvements and initiatives;
- provides technical guidance and oversight of compliance to project partners as well as within GIZ to identify operational challenges and viable solutions considering the remote implementation of the project and the security situation in Yemen.
- builds trust, ensures cooperation, regular contact and dialogue with partners from Local Authorities on the district and governorate level;
- maintains effective liaison with multiple agencies (other development partners in the sector/area, iNGOs) to coordinate activities and share information and lessons learned/good practices;
- collaborates with other GIZ projects in Yemen who support Local Authorities to ensure a common understanding and a coordinated communication with partners and a clear division of labour and to enhance synergies within the GIZ-portfolio.
- compiles information on partners or intervention areas and ensures knowledge transfer within the project team with respect to his/her area of work;
- contributes to regular updates on context and actor analyses in his area of responsibility;
- develops ready-to-use strategies and technical concepts, including guidelines, manuals and procedures (jointly with other GIZ-projects, where relevant);
- draws up reports and presentation documents, both in English and Arabic;
- capitalises lessons learned and good practices from his area of responsibility and contributes to the development of knowledge products by the project;
- prepares appropriate input for various project reports including annual reports and contributes to other reports and knowledge products as required by the project manager and GIZ Head Office;
- assists with information gathering and research on related issues which benefit the project;
- contributes actively in establishing and implementing a monitoring and evaluation system for the project.
- assists with general project planning and develops project concepts including preparation, organisation and moderation of planning exercises and their implementation, management, monitoring, quality management, evaluation, communication and documentation;
- coordinates relevant project activities at local level in consultation with the manager and in cooperation with the partners, both as regards implementation and preparing organisational aspects;
- coordinates technical aspects of project activities with other GIZ projects in the same intervention area;
- compiles the relevant information for joint activities and assignments;
- handles procurements on behalf of GIZ (e.g. offer preparation, impact monitoring, project progress review, reporting);
- develops tailor-made project implementation modalities adapted to the security situation and remote implementation through close collaboration with different partners in the sub-national governance system.
- ensures adherence to compliance standards and high quality of financial management and administration of project measures, such as Local Subsidy Contracts, procurement of services, etc.;
- closely follows up and supervises project administration and financial aspects in his/her area of work;
- assists actively in any related procedures in keeping a high quality of finance management and administration in all measures and activities of the project.
- carries out other tasks for the program, even if these are not explicitly cited in the job description, at the request of the manager;
- warrants strict implementation of a conflict-sensitive and gender-sensitive approach;
- supports the overall risk management of the project.
Required qualifications, competences and experience
- university degree (Master degree is preferable) in public administration, economics, political sciences, or a related subject
- at least 3 years’ professional experience in providing advisory services or consultancies to public institutions, with at least three years of experience working with a development or humanitarian organisation;
- at least 3 years’ experience in working for / collaborating with the sub-national Governance level (e.g. advisor for Local Authorities);
- professional experience related to enhancing conflict-sensitive approaches (e.g. dialogue, mediation) with public institutions and/or civil society organisations;
- profound knowledge of the structure of public administration, local authorities law and decentralization policies in Yemen;
- proven experience in supporting systems and mechanisms for coordination and networking within public administration and/or between public administration and civil society;
- familiarity with different Governorates in the North (esp. Sana’a, Dhamar and Ibb), including cultural aspects and context, will be an asset;
- knowledge of approaches and working modalities of GIZ will be an asset.
- very good working knowledge of ITC technologies (related software, phone, fax, email, the internet) and computer applications (e.g. MS Office, MS Teams, etc.);
- digital literacy
- fluent written and oral knowledge of English and Arabic;
- strong managerial and organisational competence;
- high sense of integrity and accountability;
- strong partner orientation and strong cooperation skills;
- ability to maintain neutral working relationships in highly conflictual environments;
- strong communication and negotiations skills;
- motivation to work in a team and collaborative mindset as well as ability to work independently;
- initiative and creativity;
- willingness to upskill as required by the tasks to be performed – corresponding measures are agreed with management;
- willingness to travel to very remote and isolated field locations and work in a divers multi-cultural environment;
- willingness to travel to a different Governorate in Yemen as deemed necessary (North and South);
- ability to drive a 4-wheel-drive vehicle with valid driving license.
Please write the full subject line as indicated below, and send your application (cover letter) and CV in English and Arabic to the following:
E-mail address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Subject title: Advisor (Capacity Development of Local Authorities)-GGSY- applicant name
Please note that only applications mentioning the full title will be considered.
Deadline for receipt applications is: 20.01.2021
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted. Should you be invited for interview, you will be asked to present all certificates mentioned in your CV. You will also be asked to provide two relevant professional references to be contacted.