Ended Advisor (Capacity Development of Civil Society)
Vacancy Announcement for National Personnel for the German International Cooperation / Good Governance Support for Yemen – GGSY implemented by the GIZ Office Sana’a.
The wide range of services offered by the Deutsche Gesellschaft fuer Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH are based on a wealth of regional and technical expertise and on tried and tested management know–how. We are a German Federal enterprise and offer workable, sustainable and effective solutions in political, economic and social change processes.
- Position: Advisor (Capacity Development of Civil Society)
- End of Contract: 30.09.2021 renewable based on performance and the project status
- Post Location: Sana’a
The Advisor is responsible for:
- managing the strategic planning and implementation of measures in relation to developing the capacities of actors of Civil Society in different parts of Yemen in close cooperation with team members based in different governorates, especially regarding the capacities for networking and advocacy, as well as regarding Social Accountability the position of the Advisor will be based in Sana’a, with possible travels to the other Governorates;
- contributing to the development of a comprehensive approach to strengthening civil society partners’ organisational, strategic and methodological capacities systematically, taking into account a do-no-harm perspective;
- supporting NGO partners’ projects through Local Subsidy Contracts, including respective advisory services regarding all aspects of project management in close coordination with team members based in different governorates;
- supporting implementation partners in designing and implementing conflict-sensitive participatory approaches for strengthening Grassroot-Initiatives in his/her area of responsibility;
- integrating his/her area of responsibility into the overall project so that it contributes to achieving the project objectives, in accordance with team agreements and/or agreements with the superior;
- maintaining a good flow of communication and information (including across physical distance by using internet-based communication tools) between all involved partners and counterparts as well as with project staff in other intervention areas and with other GIZ projects;
- contributing to the development of innovative approaches and ensure regular knowledge management and capitalisation of lessons learned within his/her area of responsibility;
- financial management and administration of agreed measures (e.g. trainings, workshops).
- manages the development and implementation of operational project plans and activities in his/her area of responsibility in close consultation with the manager, partners, and other GIZ projects and development partners;
- contributes to the development of a strategic approach to identify and implement needs-based and demand oriented measures and instruments for the Capacity Development of Civil Society partners;
- coordinates the design, preparation and implementation of trainings, workshops and other activities based on the project operational plan;
- ensures conflict and gender-sensitivity in the design and implementation of all project activities in the area of his/her responsibility;
- works closely with the Project Coordinator and the Project Manager and team members in different governorates on all matters related to planning, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of the measures/interventions he/she is responsible for;
- develops and organises quality assurance measures for activities of implementation partners and suggests necessary changes, improvements and initiatives;
- provides technical guidance and oversight of compliance to project partners as well as within GIZ to identify operational challenges and viable solutions considering the remote implementation of the project and the security situation in Yemen.
- builds trust, ensures cooperation, regular contact and dialogue with civil society partners and other stakeholders, including representatives from Local Authorities;
- maintains effective liaison with multiple agencies, (other development partners in the sector/area, iNGO) to coordinate activities and share information and lessons learned/good practices;
- collaborates with other GIZ projects in Yemen who support and/or cooperates with Civil Society to ensure a common understanding, coordinated communication with partners and a clear division of labour and to enhance synergies within the GIZ-portfolio.
- compiles information on partners or intervention areas and ensures knowledge transfer within the project team with respect to his/her area of work;
- develops ready-to-use strategies and technical concepts, including guidelines, manuals and procedures (jointly with other GIZ projects, where relevant);
- draws up reports and presentation documents, both in English and Arabic;
- capitalises lessons learned and good practices from his area of responsibility and contributes to the development of knowledge products by the project;
- prepares appropriate inputs for various project reports including annual reports and contributes to other reports and knowledge products as required by the project manager and GIZ Head Office;
- assists with information gathering and research on related issues which benefit the project;
- contributes actively in establishing and implementing a monitoring and evaluation system for the project.
- assists with general project planning and develops project concepts including preparation, organisation and moderation of planning exercises and their implementation, management, monitoring, quality management, evaluation, communication and documentation;
- coordinates relevant project activities at local level in consultation with the manager and in cooperation with the partners, both as regards implementation and preparing organisational aspects;
- coordinates technical aspects of project activities with other GIZ-project in the same intervention area;
- compiles the relevant information for joint activities and assignments
- handles procurements on behalf of GIZ (e.g. offer preparation, impact monitoring, project progress review, reporting);
- develops tailor-made conflict-sensitive project implementation modalities adapted to the security situation and remote implementation through close collaboration with partners.
- ensures adherence to compliance standards and high quality of financial management and administration of project measures, such as Local Subsidy Contracts, procurement of services, etc.;
- closely follows up and supervises project administration and financial aspects in his/her area of work;
- assists actively in any related procedures in keeping a high quality of finance management and administration in all measures and activities of the project.
- carries out other tasks for the program, even if these are not explicitly cited in the job description, at the request of the manager;
- warrants strict implementation of a conflict-sensitive and gender-sensitive approach;
- supports the overall risk management of the project.
Required qualifications, competences and experience
- university degree (Master degree is preferable) in political sciences, gender studies, local development or a related subject, additional education in relation to development work or Civil Society is an asset
- at least 3 years’ professional experience in providing capacity development, advisory services or consultancies for civil society organisations and /or local development actors, with at least three years of experience working with a development or humanitarian organisation;
- at least 1 year of experience in working for / collaborating with Civil Society on social accountability, networking and/or advocacy, including at a Grassroots level;
- professional experience in applying methodologies for conflict resolution/peaceful co-existence (e.g. dialogue, mediation) at the sub-national or Grassroot level;
- profound knowledge of the challenges faced by civil society organisations, including on Grassroot level in different parts of Yemen;
- working knowledge of the structure and mandates of Local Authorities in Yemen;
- proven experience in designing and implementing context-sensitive approaches and instruments for social accountability, advocacy and networking;
- proven experience in supporting constructive state-civil society relations;
- familiarity with different Governorates in different parts of Yemen, including cultural aspects and context, will be an asset;
- knowledge of approaches and working modalities of GIZ will be an asset.
- very good working knowledge of ITC technologies (related software, phone, fax, email, the internet) and computer applications (e.g. MS Office, MS Teams, etc);
- digital literacy
- fluent written and oral knowledge of English and Arabic;
- strong managerial and organisational competence;
- high sense of integrity and accountability;
- ability to maintain neutral working relationships in highly conflictual environments;
- strong partner orientation;
- strong communication and negotiations skills;
- motivation to work in a team and collaborative mindset as well as ability to work independently;
- initiative and creativity;
- willingness to upskill as required by the tasks to be performed – corresponding measures are agreed with management;
- willingness to travel to very remote and isolated field locations and work in a diverse multi-cultural environment;
- willingness to travel to a different Governorate in Yemen as deemed necessary (North and South);
- ability to drive a 4-wheel-drive vehicle with valid driving license.
Please write the full subject line as indicated below, and send your application (cover letter) and CV in English and Arabic to the following:
E-mail address: email@example.com
Subject title: Advisor (Capacity Development of Civil Society)-GGSY- applicant name
Please note that only applications mentioning the full title will be considered.
Deadline for receipt applications is: 20.01.2021
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted. Should you be invited for interview, you will be asked to present all certificates mentioned in your CV. You will also be asked to provide two relevant professional references to be contacted.