Ended WASH Officer
National WASH Officer, Multiple positions and locations in Yemen
Contractual Arrangement: SSA
Contract duration: 6 Months
Job Posting: Jan 14, 2021
Closing Date: Jan 30, 2021
Primary Location: Yemen - Multiple Duty Stations
Organization: EM_YEM WHO Representative's Office, Yemen
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Please note that the deadline for receipt of applications indicated above reflects your personal device's system settings.
Background and Justification
Purpose of the Position:
To provide technical advice in planning, monitoring, evaluating, coordinating the environmental health interventions with a focus on provision of safe drinking water, adequate sanitation, hygiene, and infection control (with focus on safe and dignified burial of contagious bodies, medical waste management). Provide technical advice and on-site support to develop national technical and institutional capacities for the implementation of primary prevention interventions, particularly those related to safety of drinking water, safe sanitation, waste management, and chemical management
Objectives of the Programme and of the immediate Strategic Objective:
To ensure that effective WHO country presence is established to implement WHO country cooperation strategies that are aligned with Member State’s health development agendas and emergency/resilience programmes, and harmonized with the United Nations country teams.
Under the direct supervision of the Environmental Health Officer, the overall guidance of WHO Head of Country Office, and working closely with counterparts and partners, the incumbent will assess the national water, sanitation and hygiene situation. This involves ongoing contacts with officials from the Ministry of Health (MOH), to contribute in designing and implementing water and sanitation plans of action pertaining to the incident management, including identifying needs, resources and gaps and recommending alternatives.
Summary of Assigned Duties:
The incumbent will perform the following duties:
- Conduct assessment for WASH (water, hygiene, sanitation, waste management), vector control and infection control inventory and needs in the health facilities.
- Recommend suitable WASH interventions in response to identiﬁed priorities, including the list of required material, cost estimation and project proposals.
- Provide training courses for MoPH and implementing partner’s staﬀ on water supply and sanitation.
- Follow up and report country progress on WASH activities within the health facilities and for health activities. Identify gaps and propose remedial actions.
- Conduct field visits to ensure applicability and appropriate implementation of the recommended infection control activities in the health facilities and for the health activities supported by the WHO, specifically for medical waste management, safe and dignified burial of infectious bodies, health staff and patients protection.
- Conduct required training for MOH staff and WHO partners to build up local competences and ensure the compliance with the WASH standards for all health activities.
- Respecting and promoting individual and cultural differences*
- Building and promoting partnerships across the organization and beyond.
- Ensuring the effective use of resources.
Functional Knowledge and Skills:
- Demonstrated knowledge in water and sanitation field with proven ability to identify and solve technical problems in difficult circumstances.
- Excellent analytical and organizational skills, with proven ability to elaborate and implement projects.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with ability to promote cohesive actions and convince officials with tact and diplomacy.
- Ability to write in a clear and concise manner, and to present factual information.
- Knowledge of WHO, the UN System or NGO work and their practices and procedures as related to the work.
- University degree in engineering with specialization in water and sanitation.
- Advanced university (Master’s level or above) in public health water, sanitation and hygiene.
- Degree or training in computer applications in water and sanitation project design and related database systems.
At least two years of relevant experience in the assessment, management and implementation of water and sanitation activities or projects.
Relevant work experience of WHO mandate and goals or in UN organizations/agencies, international institutions, health cluster partners, recognized humanitarian organizations or NGOs.
Use of Language Skills
Excellent knowledge of English/French and local language.
Other Skills (e.g. IT)
Proficiency in Microsoft Office.
Interested candidates are kindly requested and strongly encouraged to send their CV To: email@example.com please clearly mention in the email subject Name of the position.
Note: if you are sharing the CV on the google drive please make sure to be without requesting permission – without permission the candidate will not be considered.
Only Short – listed candidates will be contacted