Ended Human Resources Manager
Human Resources Manager Duty Station [Aden -Yemen]
Who are we?
The Danish Refugee Council (DRC) has been providing relief and development services in the Horn of Africa since 1997. Using a protection of human rights framework, DRC has mainly focused on Somalis who are displaced by conflict. Programmers include protection, livelihood, food and NFI distribution, water and sanitation, and advocacy amongst others. DRC Yemen has been providing relief and development services in Yemen since 2008. DRC has mainly focused on refugees and migrants displaced by conflict and natural disasters.
DRC, through its specialized business unit, Danish Demining Group (DDG) aims to recreate a safe environment where people can live without the threat of landmines, unexploded ordinances and small arms and light weapons”. These goals can be effectively advanced through cooperation and joint action with other organization as well as with integration of operations and programs with its sister organization, DRC.
About the job
- Lead and manage Human Resources functions
- Provide overall advice, coordination and management to the Human Resources and Administration team at the head office and technical Human Resources support to the field offices.
- Ensure efficient support to the program in accordance with existing DRC policies and procedures.
Geographic scope: Area (Yemen - Aden (South Area))
This role has an area focus and ensures compliance to DRC procedures and guidelines within the area. The role contributes to the development of area strategies, which are translated into action plans and day-to-day tasks. The role provides support and/or technical guidance to base operations.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Lead and manage the Human Resources team (including people planning, performance, well-being and development)
- Provide technical support, advice and capacity build the Human Resources team
- Advise and assist managers in Human Resources related issues and concerns
Recruitment, development and people planning
- Drive and support recruitment and selection activities ensuring compliance with recruitment DRC’s policies and National labor law
- Ensure a transparent, timely and efficient recruitment process
- Work with senior management team and senior staff on new staff retention strategies and initiatives
- Ensure proper onboarding process and ensure that all new staff have undergone orientation
- Ensure pre-employment requirements are submitted and personnel file with documentation according to HR checklist is opened for new staff on a timely basis
- Make sure that employees’ files are auditable at all times as per DRC standards and any relevant donors’ requirements
- Ensure oversight and consistency in position titles and grades, across all field locations
- Support staff development activities including promoting the DRC Learning Catalogue.
- Develop/maintain local processes for staff development making use of the DRC Learning Catalogue.
- Assist managers to identify, recommend and approve Learning & Development initiatives for their employees through DRC’s Learning Catalogue.
Performance, well-being and compensations & benefits
- Proactively respond to and manage performance counselling, employee grievances and disciplinary issues as required, with a focus on building manager competency and ensuring that documentation is kept
- Lead the performance management process
- Act as an impartial mediator in disciplinary procedures and ensure it is administered in an equitable and fair manner and meets all legal and labor regulations and requirements
- Respond to employee related queries and provide services to all HR related inquiries and requests
- Lead people well-being initiatives
- Define and review salary structure in partnership with the Senior Management team and coordinate annual compensation review process and compensation adjustments
Human Resources Policies and Support
- Maintain and update Staff on Human Resources Handbooks, along with other HR policies as necessary
- Proactively pursue continuous process improvement in Human Resources related practices in order to enhance the quality and efficiency of output/delivery.
- Work closely with HQ to share information and provide support as required
- Ensure oversight of relevant lists (e.g. leave, RR) in coordination with managers and field sites
- Monitor contract end dates and proactively liaise with managers regarding extension or end of contract, staff transfer, promotions and other change of status.
- Coordinate the exit process
- Ensure oversight of management of visas, entry permits, alien registration and work permits
- Ensure oversight of internal and international travel
- Ensure timely updating and renewal of organization registration certificates (if needed)
As Manager the post-holder is responsible for the following:
- Accountable for achieving DRC’s strategic goals and objectives within the area of responsibility
- Accountable for making significant decisions on what the unit does: its purpose, functions and role, and for making commitments and decisions that require the expenditure of significant unit resources.
- Accountable for people management of direct reports, generally at least 3 employees. This includes hiring & firing, objective setting, probation, performance appraisal, development of staff, managing performance, including poor performance, etc.
- Accountable for making sound decisions based on DRC policies, MOPs, standards, and the advice of technical experts in DRC
To be successful in this role you must have:
This position demands a dynamic individual with a demonstrated ability to achieve results in a demanding and fast paced environment.
- At least 5 years continuous experience in a similar position, of which at least 2 years in a senior Human Resources management role within an INGO
- At least 3 years' experience with people management
- Direct experience of organizing large scale recruitments preferred INGO experience
- Proven leadership skills and a competence in people management
- Demonstrated understanding and working knowledge/experience of Human Resources Management principles, concepts & processes
- Extensive knowledge on local labor law
- Excellent skills in handling and advising on complex people management issues
- Experience in developing Human Resources strategies and policies, and driving implementation
- A team builder with excellent people skills; culturally sensitive and has the ability and interest to identify and work with a multicultural team
- Experience using an ERP/ online system for recruitments
- Full professional proficiency in English
- Master's degree in Human Resource Management, Business, or Social Science Degree specializing in Human Resources
- Arabic, Native
- English, Excellent
DRC will offer the successful applicant a one-year contract, renewable dependent on both funding and performance.
Workplace Aden with field visits.
Salary and conditions will be in accordance with Danish Refugee Council’s Terms of Employment. This position will be placed at Band (F).
Interested? Then apply for this position by clicking on the apply button or the link below.
All applicants must send a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages). Both must be in the same language as this vacancy note. CV only applications will not be considered.
If you have questions or are facing problems with the online application process, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications close January 30, 2021.
Need further information?
For more details on this position, please contact email@example.com.
Please note that applications sent directly to [firstname.lastname@example.org] will not be considered.
For further information about the Danish Refugee Council, please consult our website www.drc.ngo