Ended Logistics Officer (SC8 - Sana'a) BSP
Contract duration: 1 year with possibility of extension
Duty Station: Sana’a, Yemen
Application deadline: 24th February 2021 @11:59 p.m. (Yemen time)
The United Nations World Food Programme is the 2020 Nobel Peace Prize Laureate. We are the world’s largest humanitarian organization, saving lives in emergencies and using food assistance to build a pathway to peace, stability and prosperity for people recovering from conflict, disasters and the impact of climate change.
Aiming to feed 13 million of the most vulnerable people with food assistance, WFP’s emergency response in Yemen is the agency’s largest anywhere in the world. WFP also provides nutrition support to 1.7 million children and mothers, and delivers school meals to 850,000 children each day.
Incumbent of the post reports to the Head of Bilateral Service Provision section or the Logistics Cluster Coordination Officer, as necessary, and ultimately to the Head of WFP Interagency Supply Chain Unit. Incumbent will work closely with supervisor, as part of dynamic team that supports humanitarian partners with logistical coordination and information management and by providing or facilitating access to selected logistics services in Yemen, e.g. fuel provision, logistics and transport services, warehousing..
To collect, analyze and report on information to maximize efficiency of the logistics operations and activities, including supervision of the projects and relevant project staff.
As a member of the Unit’s Management Team, contribute to ensuring quality logistics services efficiently and effectively support partners by informing key decision-making processes, by leading the team within the respective Unit (BSP or Logistics Cluster), by assuring regular and positive internal and external coordination
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (not all-inclusive)
- Contribute and support the development and implementation of logistics plans for WFP Yemen Interagency Supply Chain Unit and relevant processes ensuring compliance with wider logistics policies and WFP standards. This includes contributions towards development of plans and key performance indicators for fuel supply, warehousing, sea/air transport of partner commodities and other special projects implemented on behalf of partners in agreement with Special Service Agreements (SLAs).
- Implement logistics projects or operational day-to-day activities with minimum supervision and tight deadlines, following standard processes and contributing, directly or indirectly, to the effective service delivery to partners, including periodic review and testing of Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) on service delivery and recommendations on service quality enhancement.
- Identify, reassess and prioritize key logistic bottlenecks and gaps impeding delivery of essential assistance by the humanitarian community; recommend and guide partners on SOPs, standard forms, alternative logistic solutions and a cost/benefit analysis for each solution.
- Prepare funding proposals and coordinate, monitor and evaluate the implementation of approved proposals.
- Collect and analyze data through research and networking with colleagues to recommend actions to the supervisor to improve efficiency, effectiveness and quality of local logistics operations. Anticipate challenges due to evolving country context and recommend adjustments, where necessary to business processes.
- Conduct portions of financial analysis and budget reviews, drawing out insights and recommending actions to the supervisor to optimize use of available funds. This includes timely obligation of funds, timely payment to service providers, monthly invoicing and elaborate projections based on SLA terms and/or historical trends.
- Guide and supervise staff within the incumbent’s team, acting as a point of referral and supporting them with analysis and queries. This includes assurance that all staff have their performance plans in place and deliver on the results expected, under general guidance of incumbent.
- Compile reports at quality standard and in a timely manner by collating available data and information, to support WFP Interagency activities and informed decision-making processes and accurate and consistent information is presented to partners and stakeholders. Ensure monitoring tools and dashboards are accurately updated in a timely manner, filing systems is kept up to date, and the management reports issued in accordance to the agreed schedules with necessary recommendations
- Support the capacity building of WFP staff for efficient and effective service delivery (i.e. through contribution to the training materials).
- Identify and build productive relationships with WFP colleagues to support the organisation’s integrated approach to service delivery, as well as fostering a partnership spirit by strengthening close relations with partners and key stakeholders.
- Liaise with relevant actors to avoid congestion on logistics infrastructures (supplying corridors, transport, local suppliers, etc) and to ensure proper coordination of the aid flows.
- Follow emergency logistics preparedness practices to ensure WFP ability to quickly respond and deploy services at the onset of a crisis. Conduct field missions/visits and deploy as surge capacity if and when require.
- Step in and provide utmost support to other service delivery pillars within WFP Interagency Supply Chain unit in case of absence of project leads on annual leave or rest and recuperation, to ensure business continuity.
- Participate in external and internal meetings if and when required and apply quality representational skills.
- Perform other duties as required.
STANDARD MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
Education and Experience: 1 or more years of accounting, transport, insurance, statistics or other logistics operations work experience with an advanced university degree in Transport Economics, Supply Chain, Logistics, Engineering, Business Management or other related field OR 3 or more years of relevent experience with First University degree.
Language: Fluency in Arabic language and (level C) in English language
Administrative/Assistant/Secretariat work experience is not considered, except for years holding Associate positions or above (UN equivalent grade G-6 or above), in which case each year is counted at 50%
Citizenship: Only Yemeni citizens are eligible for this position.
OTHER SPECIFIC JOB REQUIREMENTS
Full adherence and commitment to humanitarian principles, good knowledge and understanding of the humanitarian architecture.
DESIRED EXPERIENCES FOR ENTRY INTO THE ROLE
- Experience in logistics services provision (transport, warehousing, fuel provision, customs clearance, etc. in Yemen context).
- Experience coordinating service providers’ contract execution, including measuring performances against the set KPIs.
- Experience arranging supplier deliveries and the discharge of WFP vessels (air and sea).
- Experience in evaluating offers and writing proposals, including preparation of contract documentation.
- Experience in report writing and provision of technical business support in corporate systems, e.g. SAP.
4Ps CORE ORGANISATIONAL CAPABILITIES
- Understand and communicate the Strategic Objectives: Understands WFP’s Strategic Objectives and the link to own work objectives.
- Be a force for positive change: Flexibly adapts individual contributions to accommodate changes in direction from supervisors and internal/external changes (such as evolving needs of beneficiaries, new requirements of partners).
- Make the mission inspiring to our team: Recognizes and shares with team members the ways in which individual contributions relate to WFP’s mission.
- Make our mission visible in everyday actions: Sets own goals in alignment with WFP’s overall operations, and is able to communicate this link to others.
- Look for ways to strengthen people's skills: Assesses own strengths and weaknesses to increase self-awareness, and includes these in conversations on own developmental needs.
- Create an inclusive culture: Participates in open dialogue, and values the diverse opinion of others, regardless of background, culture, experience, or country assignment.
- Be a coach & provide constructive feedback: Proactively seeks feedback and coaching to build confidence, and develop and improve individual skills.
- Create an “I will”/”We will” spirit: Participates in accomplishing team activities and goals in the face of challenging circumstances.
- Encourage innovation & creative solutions: Shows willingness to explore and experiment with new ideas and approaches in own work.
- Focus on getting results: Consistently delivers results within individual scope of work on time, on budget and without errors.
- Make commitments and make good on commitments: Commits to upholding individual accountabilities and responsibilities in the face of ever-changing country or functional priorities.
- Be Decisive: Makes rational decisions about individual activities when faced with uncertain circumstances, including in times of ambiguity regarding information or manager direction.
- Connect and share across WFP units: Seeks to understand and adapt to internal or cross-unit teams’ priorities and preferred working styles.
- Build strong external partnerships: Demonstrates ability to understand and appropriately respond to and/or escalate needs of external partners.
- Be politically agile & adaptable: Portrays an informed and professional demeanor toward internal and external partners and stakeholders.
- Be clear about the value WFP brings to partnerships: Provides operational support on analyses and assessments that quantifies and demonstrates WFP’s unique value as a partner.
|Capability Name||Description of the behaviour expected for the proficiency level|
|Supply Chain Management and Optimization||Demonstrates ability to design basic supply chain networks, including appropriately assessing and escalating challenges to ensure that WFP is able to provide consistent and uninterrupted service to its beneficiaries and partners.|
|Planning, Project & Resource Management||Collects and analyses relevant technical data from diverse sources to forecast operational needs under various scenarios and makes evidence-based proposals.|
|Information Management & Reporting||Liaises with internal and external stakeholders to consolidate preliminary data analysis, draft reports and disseminate information that represents concerns and trends.|
|Market Analysis, Contracting and Operational Execution||Demonstrates ability to collect market information and process and analyse proposals in line with WFP standard rules and regulations in order to deliver efficiently.|
|Warehouse and Inventory Management||Demonstrates ability to implement operational warehouse procedures and normative guidance in order to manage WFP’s warehouse, handle inventory effectively through corporate systems, and ensure loss mitigation.|
|Technical Assistance and Coordination||Demonstrates abilities to provide basic technical advice and maintain effective (inclusive, collaborative, unified) logistics coordination mechanisms with humanitarian partners and other relevant stakeholders.|
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
- The applicant should be a Yemeni national
- Only candidates who are short-listed will be contacted
- Applications must be submitted online with:
- WFP staff who are still under probation period are not eligible to apply for another FT position.
- WFP staff on FT contracts must have completed one year in the current position to be eligible to apply for another FT position.
- By submitting your application, you have read the Terms of Reference for this position and agree that any false, wrong or incomplete information might lead to your disqualification in this recruitment process.
- Successful candidates vetted as viable candidates through the application process will be retained on internal roster for a two-year period and may be given further consideration for future similar specific position advertised in the duty station.
- Use English language only
- Indicate all your job TOR
- indicate clear years of experience with each job (Month/Year)
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS: 24th February 2021
WFP never uses external recruitment agencies and recruitment is always is free of charge. WFP seeks candidates of the highest integrity and professionalism who share our humanitarian principles. The selection of staff are made on a competitive basis and we are committed to promoting diversity and gender balance. Only applicants whose profiles meet the advertised job requirements will be considered and only within the announced deadline.
لا يقوم برنامج الأغذية العالمي بالاستعانة ابداً بأشخاص او بوكالات خارجية في التوظيف، علماً بان عملية التوظيف دائماً مجانية. يبحث برنامج الأغذية العالمي عن مرشحين من أعلى درجات النزاهة والكفاءة المهنية والذين يتقاسمون مبادئنا الإنسانية.
يتم اختيار الموظفين على أساس تنافسي ونحن ملتزمون بتعزيز التنوع والتوازن بين الجنسين. سيتم النظر فقط للمتقدمين الذين تفي ملفاتهم الشخصية بمتطلبات الوظيفة المعلن عنها، وفقط خلال الموعد النهائي المعلن
Female applicants are especially encouraged to apply
WFP has zero tolerance for discrimination and does not discriminate on the basis of HIV/AIDS status.
No appointment under any kind of contract will be offered to members of the UN Advisory Committee on Administrative and Budgetary Questions (ACABQ), International Civil Service Commission (ICSC), FAO Finance Committee, WFP External Auditor, WFP Audit Committee, Joint Inspection Unit (JIU) and other similar bodies within the United Nations system with oversight responsibilities over WFP, both during their service and within three years of ceasing that service.
To view the job description and apply to the mentioned vacancies, please go to the link associated to the VA you want to apply to
Link For Non-WFP candidates: Click here
Link for WFP Staff: Click here
2.Click on “Apply”
3.Click on Create an account (if you do not already have one)