Ended Emergency Team Leader- General Food Distribution
Emergency Team Leader- General Food Distribution
Duty Station [Hodiedah] Bait Alfaqih
Who are we?
The Danish Refugee Council assists refugees and internally displaced persons across the globe: we provide emergency aid, fight for their rights, and strengthen their opportunity for a brighter future. We work in conflict-affected areas, along the displacement routes, and in the countries where refugees settle. In cooperation with local communities, we strive for responsible and sustainable solutions. We work toward successful integration and – whenever possible – for the fulfillment of the wish to return home.
The Danish Refugee Council was founded in Denmark in 1956, and has since grown to become an international humanitarian organization with more than 7,000 staff and 8,000 volunteers. Our vision is a dignified life for all displaced.
All of our efforts are based on our value compass: humanity, respect, independence and neutrality, participation, and honesty and transparency.
DRC has been operating in the Middle East (ME) region for over a decade, running a combination of emergency, livelihood, protection and advocacy programmes through Country Offices (COs) in Yemen, Syria, Iraq, Jordan, Lebanon and Turkey with a Regional Office (RO) in Amman.
DRC Yemen’s response
Throughout its nine field offices and a workforce of 450 staff, DRC upholds its main programmatic objectives to provide immediate and life sustaining assistance, to strengthen the protective environment, and to reduce displacement related risks and vulnerabilities by promoting self-reliance at household and community level.
About the job:
Overall purpose of the role
The Livelihood team leader (FS-GFA) is responsible for the organization of the distributions to the beneficiaries of the General Food Assistance (GFA) project in additional to another livelihood tasks in the area.
Geographic scope: Country (Yemen)
Yemen is caught in the on-going conflict and is facing severe food insecurity in most of Yemen governorates. DRC will carry out WFP General Food Assistance (GFA) to the most vulnerable host/IDP HH in Hodeida governorate. DRC is announcing Emergency team leader (GFD) to carry on the project implementation in the areas of intervention based in Bayt al Faqih (Hodeida) with fully presence in the field within the distribution and any data collection..
Duties and Responsibilities
Planning, design of the distributions and preparation:
- Participate in the technical design of GFA activities in relation to the distribution cycle, through field information gathering, community consultation, and discussions with the team
- Guide the project staff to perform project oversight, monitoring, reporting, field missions, spot checks, evaluations.
- Ensure beneficiaries selection process and criteria are applied prior to distributions and that distribution standard operating procedures are followed during the activities
- Prepare the work plan for the distributions of food and arrange the deployment of staff during food delivery
- Ensure that all preparations for the distributions are completed in time, including liaising with supply chain for the procurement of all needed items, recruitment and payment of causal labors payments on time as well as other tasks as instructed by the line manager
- Working closely with other support team to ensure the accurate and the suitable implementation of the project within DRC policy.
- Ensure the protection and gender mainstreaming in parallel with the project.
- If needed, participate in other livelihoods interventions including need assessments, community consultations, and technical design of the intervention.
- Organize the distribution of food according to the work plan after consultation with the General Food Distribution Project Manager;
- Implement, adapt, monitor and evaluate activities to ensure that food delivery and distribution takes place according to standard operating procedures
- Share timely and accurate reports to the General Food Distribution Project Manager on food quantities received and distributed using standard reporting templates;
- Keep accurate record of all project documents related to food dispatch and distribution in area of supervision;
- Participate in the creation or refreshment of Committees prior to distributions, to ensure good communication and accountability between the communities and DRC
- Supervising and assist in the committees training and ensure the training of the staff.
- Regular review of staff performance and timely feedback to address staff performance.
- Raise any need from the field to the livelihoods manager to insure the quality of the work.
- Attending other related functions as and when assigned by his/her supervisor.
- Explain the project’s activities and objectives to the partners and the population
- Focal point and representation of the organization in the FSAC and WFP meeting in Hodeida
- Attend all WFP, FSAC and related Food security and livelihood meeting and workshops in Hodeida
- Work in close collaboration with other members of DRC team to ensure an integrated approach to meet the needs of the population with integration of malnutrition prevention in the programmes
- In the event of visits from Donors, participate actively in the preparation and the smooth organization of the visit
- Coordination with the governorates, district offices, local representatives, community committees and build links and networks with representatives of stakeholders and to enhance cooperative efforts.
- Coordinate with other DRC departments including programs and support services to ensure the smooth implementation of activities;
- Establish and maintain good relations with local authorities and stakeholders in Hodeida governorate and seek their support when needed.
- Responsible to submit all daily, delivery and stock reports to the GFD PM and WFP Hodeida
- Responsible to submit weekly report and other internally information or reports when needed to the Emergency manager and base manager.
- Ensure meeting the deadline in any report or information need from the donor.
- Maintain quality and accuracy of the data/information collected in the field
- Ensure documentation of project progress, monitoring and evaluation framework
- Keep the GFD PM informed of the activities, problems and success.
- Contribute to the collection of information relating to the safety in the intervention areas and reports to the head of base
- Ensure that the project, the methodology and the selection criteria do not endanger the beneficiaries, DRC’s staff or any other person
- Raise any incident report to DRC.
- A degree in an agronomy, nutrition or livelihoods related discipline (rural development, sociology, economy, etc.)
- Training in Project Management
- Experience in general food assistance, Food Security and Livelihood program (food assistance/cash based programming/ livelihoods support…). At least three years’ Experience in managerial position.
- Preferably experience in humanitarian INGOs/NGOs.
- Good community mobilization skills
- Understanding of, and commitment to, humanitarian principles and minimum standards such as Red Cross Code of Conduct
- Motivate and able to work independently and good team player.
- Ability & willingness to travel to the field
- Works well under pressure and in meeting deadlines
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Highly organized with excellent ability to coherently lead diverse spread out teams.
- Excellent English language (written and spoken)
- Excellent report writing skills including editing the work of others
- Fluency in Arabic language (written and spoken)
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’ five core competencies:
- Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
- Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
- Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
- Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
- Demonstrating integrity: You act in line with our vision and values.
DRC will offer the successful applicant a contract ends in 31 December 2021, renewable dependent on both funding and performance. You must be available to start work As soon as possible, and be willing and able to work in Hodiedah/ Bait Al-Faqih.
Salary and conditions will be in accordance with Danish Refugee Council’s Terms of Employment. This position will be placed at Band (G - Manager).
Qualified candidates must apply online. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for an interview. Qualified women candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
If you have questions or are facing problems with the online application process, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications close on 2nd March 2021. The interviews are expected to take place in the 1 week after the Closing date.
Need further information?
For more details on this position, please contact email@example.com.
Please note that applications sent directly to [firstname.lastname@example.org] will not be considered.
For further information about the Danish Refugee Council, please consult our website www.drc.ngo