Senior Finance Assistant
Senior Finance Assistant
Job Posting: 16/Feb/2021
Closure Date: 03/Mar/2021, 12:59:00 AM
Organizational Unit: FNYAR
Job Type: Non-staff opportunities
Type of Requisition: NPP (National Project Personnel)
Grade Level: N/A
Primary Location: Yemen-Sana'A
Duration: 12 Months (Renewable)
Post Number: N/A
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Please note that Closure Date and Time displayed above are based on date and time settings of your personal device
FAO's office for Yemen is responsible for developing, promoting, overseeing and implementing agreed strategies for addressing countrywide food, agriculture and rural development priorities under Yemen. It develops and maintains relations with the relevant Ministries at country level. This position is based in FAO Representation in Sanaa, Yemen. The main aim of the FAO country offices, which are headed by an FAO Representative, is to assist governments to develop policies, programmes and projects to achieve food security and to reduce hunger and malnutrition, to help develop the agricultural, fisheries and forestry sectors and to use their environmental and natural resources in a sustainable manner.
Under the overall guidance of FAO Representative in Yemen, the direct supervision of the Finance Specialist and Assistant FAO Representative (Admin) in Yemen, and in close cooperation with FAO Units.
The Senior Finance Assistant performs a variety of administrative and financial duties for the control and maintenance of accounts, reconciliation of the Imprest Account, clearance of aged financial transaction in the clearing account/Cash-in-Transit report, and in the processing of finance/ accounting/ budget-related transactions. The incumbent exercises judgement, identifies errors, supports sound financial practice and ensure internal control. The Senior Finance Assistant also provides administrative support to programme and project activities.
Tasks and responsibilities
- Assist in the monitoring of budget expenditures against plans and allocated resources, to assist the Programme Unit and CTAs in their budgetary preparation of Field Budget Authorization (FBAs) and assist in initiating timely action for revisions and amendments.
- Full compliance of administrative management and inventory ensuring that proper asset management is performed in adherence to FAO rules, regulations, policies and strategies and that inventory procedures are complied with;
- Support in office administration and maintain up-to-date and accurate financial records of all disbursements and receipts related to the Representation and projects, particularly, Cash-Based Transfer, and use these records as basis for preparing financial reports for use by the FAOR, donor, Government and other partners.
- Review and process invoices in GRMS and take follow up action as needed on invoice validation and check processing to ensure adherence of Finance Rules and Regulations
- Supports the assets management focusing on achievement of the following results;
- Receiving, inspecting and verification of all incoming equipment, furniture and supplies and scheduling deliveries to users;
- Tagging all furniture/equipment upon receipt from the supplier. Update of non-expendable property inventory record and track movement of furniture piece;
- Entering records in the asset control database (system) ensuring inventory records are up to date and accurate;
- Support to the management on physical assets disposal. Documentation preparation for submission for action; follow up on request and liaise with requesting unit and maintenance for disposal action;
- Support to the annual physical inventory verification exercise by checking the accuracy of records and location of property;
- Preparation of inventory reports as required;
- Liaise with FA Services, SSC, on the matters related to the Assets Management;
- Review and finalize monthly bank reconciliation timely, including clearance of the pending payment in the Cash-in-Transit report;
- Support in preparing and monitoring the Periodic Budget Report (PBR) related to the Cash-Based Transfer (CBT) projects, including validating the delivery estimates of projects
- Review liquidations of the request for Cash Transfer to the beneficiaries (OCAs) and Letters of Agreement (LOA) related to the CBT projects.
- Collaborate with all of the Units/Departments involved in the disbursement of cash to beneficiaries.
- Assist Finance Specialist and Finance Analyst in liaising with Financial Service Providers (FSP) to facilitate beneficiary payments
- Review and prepare the Bank Letter Authorization to the Financial Service Provider based on the approved Transfer Instruction. Receive and logging invoices from the FSP, plus any attached disbursement report and supporting documentation.
- Ensure proper filing of all documentation relevant to the supporting documents related to the FSP. Follow up on invoices payments and ensure completed documents are submitted
- Perform other related duties and activities as required;
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
- University Degree in Accounting or related fields
- Five years of relevant experience in finance, administration, and operations
- Full competency and fluency in English and Arabic.
- National of Yemen.
FAO Core Competencies
- Results Focus
- Building Effective Relationships
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
- Good knowledge of financial rules and regulations, accounting policies and practices
- Good knowledge of corporate financial systems
- Good knowledge of the communication and documentation standards
- Experience in handling of web-based management systems.
- Good knowledge of the MS Office applications, Internet and office technology equipment
Selection Criteria/ Technical/Functional Skills
- Evaluation of qualified applicants may include an assessment exercise and a technical / competency-based interview
- FAO does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview meeting, processing)
- Incomplete applications will not be considered. If you need help please contact: Careers@fao.org
- Applications received after the closing date will not be accepted
- Only language proficiency certificates from UN accredited external providers and/or FAO language official examinations (LPE, ILE, LRT) will be accepted as proof of the level of knowledge of languages indicated in the online applications
- For additional employment opportunities visit the FAO employment website: http://www.fao.org/employment/home/en/
- To apply please click on the link:
- Qualified female applicants are encouraged to apply.
- People with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply.
- All applications will be treated with the strictest confidentiality.