Ended Safety and Security Coordinator
Job Title: Safety and Security Coordinator
Department: Operations Department
Reports To: Senior Operations Manager
Location: Aden, Yemen
Global Communities is a global development organization committed to working in partnership with communities worldwide to bring about sustainable, impactful changes that improve the lives and livelihoods of the vulnerable. Development is not something we do for people; it is something we do with them. We believe that the people who understand their needs best are the people of the community itself. Global Communities’ Department of Humanitarian Assistance (HA) has developed a strategy for the organization’s response to the Yemen crisis, anchored in a field presence. Specifically, HA is responding directly in Yemen, intensifying Global Communities’ assistance to vulnerable Yemenis. Global Communities, with its more than 60-year experience in over 80 countries, has the commitment to be a strong part of humanitarian response to Yemen by building up the capacity of vulnerable groups and strengthening their resilience to improve their living conditions with a long-lasting, positive and community-based change.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The Safety and Security Coordinator will be responsible for undertaking ongoing analysis of the context and developments in relation to the security situation develop and maintain up-to-date context analysis, risk assessment, and incident reporting system. S/he will maintain close contacts with all relevant stakeholders to develop a network and build relationships with key actors to ensure gathering of reliable security information. S/he will undertake regular and ad hoc security assessment missions as necessary, in order to gather information and to analyze the overall security situation in existing and potential areas of intervention, will produce safety and security reports utilizing traditional and social media, attend humanitarian security meetings and will liaise with external sources and experts, identify using and effectively managing a network of security alerts to ensure the safety and security of all staff members, help in building Global Communities communication network regarding activities in the area of operation including doing visits inside Yemen. The duties are specified in particular as follows:
- Ensure safety, security and protection of all staff.
- Minimize personal and operational risk to the program.
- Work together with the Head Office Security Director and in-country field management in order to update Security, Evacuation, and Contingency Plans.
- Actively promote security awareness among national and international staff.
- Communications: ensure security phone tree(s) are functional and relevant.
- Supervise the security guards in GC premises.
- Training and building capacity of staff working under his/her supervision.
- Develop and maintain up-to-date context analysis and risk assessment.
- Develop and maintain an incident reporting system.
- Maintain close contacts with all relevant stakeholders to develop a network and build relationships with key actors to ensure gathering of reliable security information. The above includes regular participation to in-country security related meetings.
- Undertake regular and ad hoc security assessment field trips as necessary, in order to gather information and to analyze the overall security situation in existing and potential areas of intervention.
- Establish a network of contacts with local stakeholders such as government, INGO’s, UN, partners, communities to share and exchange information.
- Coordinate with and inform senior management staff and Head Office on security issues on a regular basis.
- Ensure that the security management system complements the program.
- Ensure the security management system is in line with existing Global Communities security policy, protocol, and approach.
- Support the Country Director and other senior staff to manage security incidents.
- Assist the Logistics and procurement officer in day-to-day tasks as required.
- Ensure proper filing of Management system.
- Due to the nature of the program’s activities, the above-mentioned tasks are indicative only and are subject to change. Others/additional tasks may be delegated to meet programmatic objectives.
SPECIFIC TASKS WILL INCLUDE, BUT NOT BE LIMITED, TO:
- Conduct Threat and Risk assessment reviews as appropriate and share with the PD information gathered.
- Conduct security briefings for new in-country employees and for official visitors.
- If applicable, ensure all international staff or visitors are registered at the appropriate embassy.
- On a regular basis, update contact information for Global Communities’ staff, emergency tree, and contacts of other relevant organizations and agencies.
- On a regular basis, check and maintain office safety and security equipment; fire evacuation, First Aid kits, etc.
- If applicable, maintain store of emergency stocks in Global Communities’ offices and residences.
- Conduct security assessments for new offices buildings or residences.
- Monitor communications protocols, ensure staff and offices have proper and functioning communications equipment.
- Monitor and update travel protocols including periodic checks of:
- Implementation of travel SOPs;
-Use of Travel Authorizations, as needed.
- Supervise security guards, including periodic inspections of:
-Entry and exit procedures for staff and visitors;
-Building security at night, locking of doors, etc.
EDUCATION and EXPERIENCE
University degree in (Social Sciences, Law, Security Management or equivalent qualification) in a related field is required with minimum of 3 years of NGO/INGO UN field (operations) experience in related field (Security/Safety/Logistics) is required.
- Extensive knowledge of security protocols and emergency preparedness.
- Extensive knowledge of organization safety policies and applicable Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) standards.
- Ability to conduct trainings on security, safety and health related topics.
- Strong assessment, evaluation, analysis and strategic planning skills.
- Experience in developing security-related technical tools, guidelines and systems.
- Demonstrated knowledge of the historical and socio-political context of Yemen.
- Familiar with Google Maps and Google Earth applications, specifically the plotting and mapping of coordinates, office buildings and/or field activity locations.
- Considerable practical experience of managing security in complex contexts and high-risk environments.
- Excellent organizational and communication skills and teamwork-oriented.
- Excellent analytical, problem solving and organization skills.
- Fluency in written and verbal English and Arabic is required. Must be able to read and interpret documents, and communicate with others as necessary to perform job duties effectively
- Proficient in standard Microsoft Office package (Word, Excel, Outlook) and typing.
- Ability to travel as required within Yemen.
- Ability to work under pressure and manage personal stress levels.
- Sense of neutrality and ability to work across Yemen, in cooperation with all parties to the conflict.
- Previous experience in field offices is a plus.
- Updated driving license is a plus.
From February 2021 until June 30, 2021 with possibility of extension.
- Application should consist of detailed resume or CV. Resume or CV should include the applicant’s detailed work and Educational history background.
- Applications should be submitted to https://podio.com/webforms/21463955/1491567
- Applications submitted after 24th of February 2021 will not be considered. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.