Infection Prevention and Control Supervisor
Médecins du Monde (MdM) is an international humanitarian organization whose mission is to provide medical care for the most vulnerable populations, the world over, including France. It seeks to stimulate voluntary commitment from doctors, other health care providers, and from those whose expertise in other fields is needed for its activities, to enlist all competent support required for the achievement of its projects, and to seek at all times to encourage close working relationships with populations in its care.
Position: Infection Prevention and Control (IPC) Supervisor
Status: Consultancy (three months)
Location: Sana’a, Yemen
Reporting to: Medical Coordinator – Sana’a
For our program in Yemen, we are looking for (Infection Prevention and Control Supervisor - IPC), based in Sana’a, to start as soon as possible.
Under the supervision of the Medical Coordinator, the IPC Supervisor will be responsible for the IPC capacity-building activities and to ensure that minimum level of IPC standards is implemented in the MDM-supported health facilities. The incumbent has the responsibility to coordinate and assist IPC focal person per HF to implement an infection prevention and control program.
- Assist in the selection of IPC focal person per HF.
- Train and build the capacity of HF IPC focal person.
- Provide technical IPC supervision and guidance to IPC focal person in each HF.
- Together with the focal person, formulate IPC protocol within the HF, if not yet existent.
- Ensure the implementation of standard transmission-based IPC precautions for all departments within HF.
- Baseline assessment of IPC standards in the HF.
- Surveillance, Prevention and Control.
Assist in the selection of IPC focal person per HF
- The incumbent will visit each HF and coordinate with the HF management and DHO in the selection of IPC focal person per HF
- Orientate the IPC focal person regarding his/her roles and responsibilities within the HF
Train and build the capacity of HF IPC focal person and perform on-the-job trainings regarding IPC according to the needs per HF with follow up on quality supportive supervision, mentorship and corrective actions, to ensure that trainings are more effective and result in sustained positive changes in knowledge, competencies, attitudes and practices
- Train the IPC focal person on how to manage critical data and information (incidence or prevalence of healthcare-associated infections) and develops an intervention plan (multimodal) to prevent the transmission of infectious diseases
- Develop and execute education and training for healthcare workers and providers (using active strategies) to ensure compliance with basic IPC measures. The IPC measures are based on national policies and procedures guidelines.
Provide technical IPC supervision and guidance to IPC focal person in each HF
- The supervision and guidance are focused on activities such as: water supply; solid waste and waste-water treatment/disposal; latrines and shower facilities; vector control; and medical-waste management; outbreak preparedness and response
- Introduce the IPC focal person on coordination mechanisms and identification of/coordination with other actors within the locality
Together with the focal person, formulate IPC protocol within the HF, if not yet existent
- Provide technical support to HF IPC focal person to develop SOPs on IPC to be implemented within the HF
- Support the IPC focal person in conducting trainings for the staff within the HF regarding the implementation of the protocol
Ensure the implementation of standard transmission-based IPC precautions for all departments within HF (e.g. maternity/ANC/PNC, OPD, pharmacy, laboratory, vaccination, nutrition, etc)
- Supports the IPC focal person, in collaboration with each department-in-charge, using existing tools (guidelines, checklists, audit forms and trainings).
Baseline assessment of IPC standards in the HF
- Together with the IPC focal person, assess the baseline level of IPC standards in the HF and come up with recommendations in the form of SOPs, protocols of guidelines that will increase the level of IPC quality in the HFs. The following assessment tools are useful: The Core Components for Infection Prevention and Control Programme, The Infection Prevention and Control (IPC) Assessment Framework (IPCAF) tool at Health Care Facility Level, and Hand Hygiene Self-Assessment Framework tool.
Surveillance, Prevention and Control
- Provide guidance in the development, implementation and monitoring of health care associated infections among health workers and facilitate comprehensive and effective surveillance, prevention, and control program to ensure quality care, aiming to prevent infections among patients, employees, physicians, and visitors.
- The incumbent will be responsible for facilitating comprehensive and effective surveillance, prevention, and control program to ensure quality care, aiming to prevent infections among patients, employees, physicians, and visitors.
- To maintain good socio-professional relationships with national and international partners
- To attend trainings when required by MdM
- To attend team meetings and to give qualitative inputs
- Be flexible in performing his/her duties to ensure that beneficiaries are getting good quality services
- Strictly respect confidentiality of data, property of beneficiaries and MdM and respect confidentiality regarding the content of clinical interviews, except when exchanging information with the medical team in charge and within a professional frame
Essential: University degree of Medicine, Nursing or health science related or public health from an accredited/recognized institute
Desirable: An advanced university degree in Public health or health-related field or quantitative epidemiology specialized training in communicable diseases. Specialized training in infectious diseases. Previous experience working in collaboration with multiple actors in public health surveillance is desirable. Prior humanitarian working experience at field level with health cluster partners, recognized humanitarian organization or with an international nongovernmental organization with expertise in disaster and outbreak response; Certification in infection control; Experience or diploma in tropical medicine
- At least 2 years of experience in IPC management position with good training skills; implementing and monitoring IPC practices at HF level.
- Strong technical skills and knowledge in the area of Infection Prevention and Control
- Skills and ability to timely synthesize key components and working group outputs.
- Ability to build capacity of HF staff and promote partnerships across the organization and beyond.
- Demonstrated ability to produce results, while respecting MDM's professional, ethical and legal framework
- Send CV + cover letter (including job reference) by email: email@example.com
- End of submission: Tuesday, 2nd March, 2021.
- Please specify the title of the position applying for in the email subject.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for tests/interviews.