Ended MEL Specialist
scope of work
TITLE: Monitoring, Evaluation, and Learning (MEL) Specialist
This position is based in Aden, Yemen with frequent travel outside of the primary work location.
Under direction of the MEL Director, the MEL Specialist will be responsible for the Monitoring, Evaluation, Research and Learning activities. The MEL Specialist will support the MEL Director in leading the development and application of the Josoor MEL framework, plans, and templates. The role will manage, coordinate, and report on the program’s MEL activities and carry out MEL capacity building and training as required.
The MEL Specialist will adhere to and act in accordance with Chemonics’ professional code of ethics, ‘Living Our Values’, and will make the principles of the code a part of Josoor’s culture and operating procedures.
Develop and/or update Josoor’s strategies, theory of change, MEL Framework, logframe, and tools
- Contribute to the development and/or update of the programme direction, strategies, and MEL framework, plans, theory of change, logframe, tools, trackers, and data collection and reporting templates.
- Contribute to refining performance indicators and establish baselines benchmarks and targets for output, outcome, and impact level monitoring, and to ensure that it meets the needs of the Josoor programme for analysis, reporting, and learning
- Contribute to the rollout of Josoor strategies related to measurement and accountability, and enable reporting against standards and requirements
- Assist in ensuring that that the cross-cutting themes such as gender, inclusion, participation and protection are integrated in downstream partners’ MEL plans and systems.
- Assist in ensuring consistency and harmonization of information and inputs from different units and partners with the overall direction of Josoor
Provide supervision and capacity building for MEL activities
- Supervise MEL staff, particularly the Field Monitors, and support supervision of partner MEL staff.
- Assist in facilitating MEL capacity building workshops for the Josoor Team, Grant Committee, and downstream partners
- Provide training, technical assistance, and support to programme activities during site visits; ensure MEL tools and strategies are understood and being implemented effectively
- Ensure staff are equipped to prepare reports and lessons learned
Conduct Field Monitoring Visits/Activities
- Ensure that plans, resources, and travel requirements are in place for Field Monitors to conduct site visits to monitor progress against activities, outputs, and targets committed by partners and Josoor staff
- Support the Josoor team with conducting monitoring activities on the context, uptake, outcome/impact, and strategic level indicators (case studies, success stories, etc.).
- Assist in creating a coordination system between team members where there are accessibility challenges.
Conduct Research, Analysis, and Evaluations
- Monitor and provide technical support when needed to the research and conflict analysis initiatives conducted by the Josoor Team.
- Work closely with programme partners to ensure quality design and implementation of the programme’s MEL assessments (i.e. Baseline, annual evaluation, and final/endline evaluation). This include working with staff on survey tools, training of enumerators, monitoring data collection process, validation of data, analysis, report writing and sharing results and recommendations with related staff, partners, and stakeholders.
Conduct Data Verification, Management, and Documentation
- Work closely with MEL Director and other team members to ensure qualitative and quantitative data tools inform the MEL framework
- Track and ensure organized, comprehensive electronic filing of programme data and MEL documented findings/analyses
- Promote the use of Information Technology solutions throughout the project and support the staff in utilizing mobile data collection tools
- Ensure ethical and safe collection and storage of data
- Verify data for completeness, correctness and consistency and follow up on any data/ program quality issues
- Ensure regular analysis and action planning meetings to (1) compare data against project milestones, targets, and quality expectations across project sites; (2) identify issues requiring further attention; (3) define action needed and assign responsibility and deadlines- are conducted and prepare reports
- Advise staff on data management and storage to field staff
- Identify bottlenecks in the MEL systems, recommend solutions, and ensure follow-through
Coordinate joint planning, reflection, learning, review, and dissemination activities
- Organize/participate in coordination and/or information-sharing on results, findings, approaches, best practices, and lessons learned with Josoor staff, partners, and FCDO
- Participate in meetings to determine role of all actors involved in providing technical support to the project monitoring and evaluation.
- Manage the development of effective and sustainable feedback mechanisms
- Organize/participate in quarterly and semi-annual reflection events with program team on progress, learning updates, achievements, and challenges
- Assist in documenting and disseminating key findings stemming from monitoring, assessment, and other learning activities.
- Co-chair project implementation meetings; take these minutes and file accordingly
Support reporting requirements
- Work with MEL Director to track FCDO and Josoor reporting requirements and deadlines
- Draft/compile/consolidate monthly, quarterly, semi-annually reporting requirements
- Keep up to date on FCDO’s evaluation policy
Any other duties as assigned by the MEL Director and/or Programme Team Leader
- Bachelor’s degree in monitoring and evaluation; social sciences; systems science, and/or other relevant fields with at least two years of relevant professional work experience respectively
- Minimum of two years’ experience, preferably in an international NGO or company in a similar role/with similar responsibilities
- Demonstrated understanding of direct monitoring and evaluation experience, specifically in peacebuilding and conflict resolution interventions
- Demonstrated experience developing MEL tools and systems
- Knowledge of monitoring and evaluation methodologies, including logical models, conceptual frameworks, and assessment/evaluation, managing outcomes and outputs, etc.
- Strong computer skills in Microsoft Word and Microsoft Excel, mobile data collection tools, data collection databases, information management systems and analysis software is a plus
- Ability to train partners and staff on developing and maintaining the M&E system and in skills related to programme tracking and documentation.
- Strong analytical and critical thinking skills with effective, high-quality communication, writing, and interpersonal skills
- Ability to convey results to non-technical stakeholders, and to generate interest in the use of MEL results and help staff to make programmatic improvements
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work in a diverse team and manage complex and sensitive organizational relationships
- Demonstrable understanding of and commitment to promoting gender equity and the interests of vulnerable people
- Exposure to FCDO’s managing for results approach strongly preferred
- Fluency in spoken and written Arabic and English. Advanced writing skills in English required
The MEL Specialist will report to the Monitoring, Evaluation, and Learning Director.
Please send your Cover Letter and resume/CV to JosoorMELSpecialistrecruit@chemonics.com
The deadline for this application is Sunday, February 28.