Ended Finance Officer
Contract type: Fixed term (full time)
Contract duration: 10 months subject to fund availability.
Duty Station: Will be roving between between field sub-offices in Hajjah and Alhudeida governorates according to work plan and workload with frequent visits to Head office.
Report directly to: Project Manager and Finance manager.
The National Foundation for Development and Humanitarian Response (NFDHR) is a not-for-proﬁt and nongovernmental organization (NGO) that was established June 2012 in Yemen. Our vision is a peaceful and stable Yemen free of poverty, in which all people have equal access to basic needs and human rights, and our mission is to provide an integrated humanitarian and development response to aid Yemen and other conﬂict. aﬀected countries through a professional, neutral, and transparent approach
We aim to achieve our overall vision and mission by working to enhance local communities' development and stability through identifying structural causes of poverty, raising awareness, increasing access to basic services, and focusing on building citizens' capacities, especially women and youth, so as to enable their participation in the decision-making process that leads to sustainable development and a peaceful society within their developing and conﬂict-aﬀected countries. NFDHR aims to accomplish these goals through its seven core programs: Food Security and Livelihoods (FSL); Water, Sanitation, and Hygiene (WASH); Health and Nutrition; . Education; Gender and Protection; Shelter and Non-food items (NFIs); and Peace building and Governance
NFDHR is implementing “Emergency Response Project in Health and Nutrition to the Vulnerable IDPs and host communities in Hajjah and Hodeida” which is funded by UNOCHA and designed with the aim to cover the gap for people in acute need through life-saving assistance of Health and Nutrition in the targeted districts and ensuring accessibility to humanitarian assistance among the most vulnerable IDPs and the host communities in Khayran Al Muharraq & Aslam districts in Hajjah and in Al Garrahi and Bayt al-faqih Districts in Hodeida governorates.
This project goal is to further enhance and improve the sustainability of the health care system and maintain the currently established level of services provided to the community through the provision of an integrated approach, prioritizing the most vulnerable population (pregnant and lactating women, under-five children, IDPs who are merged in the hosting community and host communities) and ensure quality health services through the project activities.
The Finance Officer will be in charge of the accounting transactions, respect of financial procedures, management of cash transactions, follow-up of expenses, and accountability of expenses made on the project as well as the production of the adequate documentation to justify it. He/she will take charge of NFDHR’s financial health by administering accounting operations to meet legal requirements. He/she will prepare audits, invoices and budgets, as well as manage accounting activities, including bank reconciliations, accounts payable and accounts receivable. Ultimately, he/she will be responsible for the day-to-day management of NFDHR’s financial transactions and procedures related to health and nutrition project. This position is full-time, based on a 40-hour work week, but varies from week to week as humanitarian need constantly oscillates according to the unstable conflict environment and funding availability.
Main responsibilities and duties:
Technical Support and Management:
- Maintain complete books of accounts, as per NFDHR Finance Manual.
- Check all payment claims to ensure compliance with: NFDHR policies and procedures, valid scheme of delegation, NFDHR donor compliance requirements, in-country laws and any other official regulatory authority.
- Ensure that all payments are properly coded to record against active awards and to complete authorization of respective budget holders as per NFDHR Scheme of Delegation.
- Ensure that all program implementation activities that require direct or indirect disbursement of hard cash to suppliers, contractors, and beneficiaries are safe-guarded by segregation of duty.
- Ensure appropriate segregation of duties for each and every financial management task
- Maintain assets and liabilities monthly schedules and reconciliations with Financial Management system (FMS).
- Ensure that daily financial matters are handled in a systematic, accurate and transparent manner.
- Signal Finance Manager of any financial risks / fraud activities.
- Ensure that positions reporting to you fully comply with NFDHR policies and procedures and arrange trainings around financial management.
- Oversee the professional direction / delegation / supervision / accountability of reporting staff as per their job descriptions or any official documentation.
- Follow-up and confirmation of the date of eligibility of grants and demands
- Liquidation of the financial payment sent by the first grantor Powell and according to the dates specified by the grantor
- Preparing and processing salaries according to the date of maturity without delay and according to the regulations of the Foundation
- Ensure the tax benefits of all transactions
- In collaboration with Project Manager, Prepare and prepare the financial spending and forecasting plan for the project period based on the logistics plan and follow up continuously and the extent of implementation and submit a monthly report
- Complete and insert all the documents in the system monthly first Powell without delay and issue a report
- Work together with Finance management to prepare monthly BVA and share it with project for review and work with project manager to analyse the value for money as per project activities and then update the spending plan and project work plan accordingly.
- Prepare the accruals if needed before the end of project provided along with all supporting documents.
Coordination and Representation:
- Assist FC to strengthen internal controls and the environment around it.
- Ensure preparation of employees’ monthly salary cost allocations in close coordination with Human Resource (HR).
- Assist FC in tracing all account balance sheets on a monthly basis and at the end of each award.
- Monitor cash and bank flows on a daily-basis and maintain close coordination with financial institutions to ensure smooth transactions, while safeguarding NFDHR’s cash from assessed / known risks.
- If, for unforeseen reasons, institutional banking system services are not available, arrange an alternative arrangement with consent from a respective Field Manager or Finance Director.
- Assist the Field and Country Office Finance teams during internal/ external audits, donor specific audits, and authorized third-party reviews of financial records.
- Closely work with Field Office Awards Coordinator to fully understand financial and compliance aspects of donor funded portfolios and use Award Management System (AMS) to understand donor financial compliance requirements.
- Maintain working relationship with NFDHR partners and support Field and Country Offices to ensure smooth financial implementation of projects through partners.
- Actively participate in Budgetary review meetings.
- Submit all Internal and external financial reports in a timely manner.
- Prepare/review Bank and cash GLACOS, and financial data entry on a daily-basis.
- Follow-up prepayments (like rent, Internet service, etc.) and manage schedule on FMS monthly.
- Ensure that monthly bank reconciliations for all accounts are prepared on a regularly basis.
- Review official e-mails on a daily-basis, respond to queries from suppliers and colleagues in a timely and appropriate manner, and ensure any problematic issues are raised with the line manager at the earliest opportunity.
- Other duties as assigned.
The role of the Finance Officer is not limited to the specific duties mentioned above. It is subject to change with the evolution of the conflict and in accordance with NFDHR’s vision and mission. As such, the Finance Officer is required to manage all unforeseen issues and circumstances in relation to the monitoring and evaluation and should remain adaptable to perform responsibilities that may not be mentioned above, as and when required.
Qualifications and competencies:
- Bachelor’s degree in Finance, Accounting
- Minimum 2 years working experience as a Finance Officer or similar role in a humanitarian/development context
- Solid knowledge of financial and accounting procedures
- Experience using financial software and advances MS Excel skills
- Knowledge of financial regulations
- Excellent analytical and numerical skills
- Sharp time-management sills
- Strong ethics, with an ability to manage confidential data
- Commitment to the aims and principles of NFDHR.
- English and Arabic language proficiency (speaking, reading, writing)
- Ready to work at field level and within limited supervision.
- Politically and culturally sensitive with qualities of patience, tactic and diplomacy
- Excellent communication skills: written and oral
- Flexible and able to work well under pressure
- Capable of working collaborative with team members to achieve results
- Relates and works will with people from different cultures, genders, religions and backgrounds
If you meet the requirements stated above, please apply through the below
Only Shortlisted candidates will be contacted