Ended MEAL Officer
Contract type: Fixed term (full time)
Contract duration: 10 months subject to fund availability.
Duty Station: Will be roving between field sub-offices in Hajjah and Alhudeida governorates according to work plan and workload with frequent visits to Head office.
Report directly to: Project Manager and MEAL manager.
The National Foundation for Development and Humanitarian Response (NFDHR) is a not-for-proﬁt and nongovernmental organization (NGO) that was established June 2012 in Yemen. Our vision is a peaceful and stable Yemen free of poverty, in which all people have equal access to basic needs and human rights, and our mission is to provide an integrated humanitarian and development response to aid Yemen and other conﬂict. aﬀected countries through a professional, neutral, and transparent approach
We aim to achieve our overall vision and mission by working to enhance local communities' development and stability through identifying structural causes of poverty, raising awareness, increasing access to basic services, and focusing on building citizens' capacities, especially women and youth, so as to enable their participation in the decision-making process that leads to sustainable development and a peaceful society within their developing and conﬂict-aﬀected countries. NFDHR aims to accomplish these goals through its seven core programs: Food Security and Livelihoods (FSL); Water, Sanitation, and Hygiene (WASH); Health and Nutrition; . Education; Gender and Protection; Shelter and Non-food items (NFIs); and Peace building and Governance
NFDHR is implementing “Emergency Response Project in Health and Nutrition to the Vulnerable IDPs and host communities in Hajjah and Hodeida” which is funded by UNOCHA and designed with the aim to cover the gap for people in acute need through life-saving assistance of Health and Nutrition in the targeted districts and ensuring accessibility to humanitarian assistance among the most vulnerable IDPs and the host communities in Khayran Al Muharraq & Aslam districts in Hajjah and in Al Garrahi and Bayt al-faqih Districts in Hodeida governorates.
This project goal is to further enhance and improve the sustainability of the health care system and maintain the currently established level of services provided to the community through the provision of an integrated approach, prioritizing the most vulnerable population (pregnant and lactating women, under-five children, IDPs who are merged in the hosting community and host communities) and ensure quality health services through the project activities.
The Monitoring and Evaluation Officer will be responsible for monitoring the implementation of the project’s activities. She/he will monitor and evaluate the implementation of all project activities, and work closely with the project team to provide any feedback and observations as well as reporting the achieved results. In cooperation with data entry, She/he will also lead collection of all the required data from the field and report on the project framework and the required project’s donor reports.
He will take the lead in management, design, and implementation of health and nutrition project monitoring systems, provides managerial and technical guidance for designing and conducting analyses.
This position is full-time, based on a 40-hour work week, but varies from week to week as humanitarian need constantly oscillates according to the unstable conflict environment and funding availability.
Main responsibilities and duties:
Technical Support and Management:
- Work with and support project Manager in preparing project MEAL plans, indicators and mechanisms for M&E in line with strategic project plans and budgets.
- Support the development of the logical framework for projects, including MEAL support during proposal development to ensure adequate MEAL budget forecasts for field and office activities.
- Support planning, implementation and follow-up of evaluations by: writing terms of references, preparing project summaries, participating in the selection of external consultants for evaluating health and nutrition project, and technically and financially coordinating with consultant in relation to field assessments.
- Track outputs and expected results of ongoing project and the extent of completion of various activities and present findings to project Manager and MEAL manager at monthly meetings allocated for this purpose.
- Ensure the achievement of results and outputs necessary for development and humanitarian response according to the needs of local communities.
- Develop and design information management systems resulting from monitoring, evaluation, accountability and learning activities, such as progress reports, databases and complaint mechanisms.
- Report to NFDHR’s Senior Management in a timely manner on the progress and completion of project implementation, including obstacles faced and technical, administrative and financial solutions proposed.
- Monitor and assist Project Managers in preparing long-term plans for the projects they manage, specifying a timeline for issuing reports to donors
- Follow-up and supervise staff preparing news reports and stories published on NFDHR’s website
- Introduce low cost techniques to improve project performance in the organization and facilitate mechanisms for updates of reports.
- Provide MEAL support during audits
Coordination and Representation:
- Work on developing and reviewing project strategies and plans in partnership with the concerned authorities and affected populations in project governorates and districts
- Coordinate with NFDHR’s directors of relief and development programs and other concerned departments while planning new projects within the framework of the programs to develop the necessary indicators according to the MEAL policy
- Coordinate needs assessments with governorate and local authorities and provide support to field staff to document evaluation findings, including an analysis of beneficiary needs.
- Upon acceptance of grants, immediately coordinate with project manager and other the relevant departments to prepare executive plans for procurement, follow up and evaluation.
- Continuously coordinate with project manager to ensure the number, review and delivery of periodic, mid-term, and annual reports are submitted for review and approval to senior staff, donors and other stakeholders in a timely-manner.
The role of the MEAL Officer is not limited to the specific duties mentioned above. It is subject to change with the evolution of the conflict and in accordance with NFDHR’s vision and mission. As such, the MEAL Officer is required to manage all unforeseen issues and circumstances in relation to the monitoring and evaluation and should remain adaptable to perform responsibilities that may not be mentioned above, as and when required.
- Bachelor’s degree in statistics, anthropology, sociology, public health, or another relevant field
- Minimum of 2 years’ experience in MEAL related role in an NGO environment, preferably in a humanitarian context
- Solid conceptual understanding about different components of MEAL
- Demonstrated skills in supporting MEAL systems
- Strong experience in information management systems
- Experience of, and commitment to working through systems of community participation and accountability to affected populations
- Previous experience of managing a team and managing projects
- Demonstrated strong monitoring and evaluation skills, including planning/participating in evaluations
- Ability to work both in an advisory and a hands-on implementation capacity
- Ability to write clear and well-argued assessment and project reports
- Commitment to the aims and principles of NFDHR.
- English and Arabic language proficiency (speaking, reading, writing)
- Ready for work in the field and within limited supervision and resources.
- Politically and culturally sensitive with qualities of patience, tactic and diplomacy
- Excellent communication skills: written and oral
- Flexible and able to work well under pressure
- Capable of working collaborative with team members to achieve results
- Relates and works will with people from different cultures, genders, religions and backgrounds
If you meet the requirements stated above, please apply through the below
Only Shortlisted candidates will be contacted