WASH Sector Coordinator
ZOA is a Netherlands based International NGO which offers RELIEF to people who are affected by conflict or natural disasters. ZOA wants to contribute to a new perspective of HOPE in which people work together for a promising future in dignity and mutual trust. Together with the affected communities, we work on their RECOVERY until they can take care of their livelihoods. ZOA has been operational in Yemen since 2012, mainly focusing on WASH and Food security & Livelihoods interventions in Sana’a, Hajjah, Hodeidah, Al Mahwit, Aden and Shabwa Governorates. ZOA Yemen is currently seeking for national qualified candidates for:
WASH Sector Coordinator – 1 position
The WASH Coordinator provides technical guidance in supporting ZOA Yemen’s strategic leadership, for relevant programming in relief and recovery contexts across Yemen. This role has a strong focus on strengthening ZOA’s evidence based integrated WASH programming and ensuring that the WASH intervention is in line with ZOA international and humanitarian global standards. In addition, this role also provides technical support to the Area programme (AP) projects implementation process, capacity building of Area programme (AP) teams on implementing technically sound programmes to deliver the necessary outcomes. This position reports mainly to the Program Manager (70%), however strong collaboration (dotted line) is expected with the Program Quality department (30%).
I.Tasks, responsibilities, results
Strengthen Evidence Based Programming
- Develop ZOA Yemen WASH strategy (based on a holistic approach including soft and hard components) in compliance with global standards and ensure implementation of it.
- Coordinate the implementation of the ZOA WASH strategy, program logic (Theory of Change), models and best practices to all field staff and ensure that program and project designs are aligned to it.
- Collaborate with overall project lessons learned sessions as organized by the program quality department and provide annual plans ensuring that"best practices, lessons learned etc." are periodically reviewed and integrated into technically sound programming.
- Provide information and data about WASH as requested and strengthen documentation and impact of WASH interventions in Yemen.
- Support the APs in developing the project plans including budgeting and sequencing of activities in line with the donor requirement and ZOA standards.
- Review the existing assessment and monitoring tools and standardize them throughout all ZOA offices ensuring that the programs implemented by the APs are technically sound and progress/ impact is easier to measure.
- Collaborate with the program quality department in the productions of stories and materials related to WASH activities
- Ensure that the minimum standards of humanitarian relief are maintained in project implementation in accordance with the Sphere Charter and Red Cross Code of Conduct.
- Assist donor visits and participate in donor visits when necessary.
Provision of Technical Support to the WASHfield teams and Government Counterparts:
- Develop and deliver WASH training for staff to enable them to deliver accountable, sustainable and evidence based WASH activities.
- Mentor and coach WASH teams (with goal setting and regular feedback) and partner staff (including government counterparts) linking into wider organizational talent development mechanisms in collaboration with the program quality department team. This includes weekly support to local WASH team and promotion of active learning through regular staff technical meetings, encouraging internal learning between WASH teams;
- Assess, build and monitor the capacity of APs staff in implementing projects in line with WASH strategy and provide technical support to field staff in in assessment, design, baseline and end line surveys and implementation of WASH interventions to ensure quality implementation.
- Provide support as needed to ZOA field team in the preparation of Detailed Implementation Plans (DIP), budgets, monthly cash flows and Annual review Reports.
- Develop creative techniques to support the learning and development of staff and partners based in the different governorates.
Collaboration and Coordination
- Develop dynamic relationships with the Ministry of Water and other relevant institutions at National level; support ZOA staff to do the same at Governorate and district levels - advise.
- Liaise and build strong partnerships with Yemen Civil Society Organizations and UN bodies working in the WASH sector.
- Contribute as an active member to ZOA International's Community of Practice for WASH and encourage all WASH technical Officers to participate in community of practice for learning.
- Identify potential partners to work together and scale up certain initiatives in WASH sector.
- Represent ZOA at WASH cluster being an active player and represent ZOA at other interagency meetings establishing network with other agencies active in WASH programming as well as government counterparts.
Reporting and Accountability
- Timely feedback on Monthly Progress reports from the APs.
- Support relevant reporting functions including the monthly donor reports, quarterly reports and annual reviews in collaboration with the program quality department
- Using ZOA reporting database, capture sector information and generate monthly management and cluster reports for submission to relevant internal and external stakeholders.
- Monitor programme and project quality at outcome and impact levels, facilitate evidence-based organizational learning processes and promote innovation for continuous improvement in programming
- Collects sector specific data and background information for proposal development across strategic governorates and districts as well as national level
- Provide technical input proposal development collaborating with the program quality department and ensuring compliance to donor requirements and international standards
- Lead and designing WASH technical assessments and multisectoral assessments in coordination with other sector coordinators and whenrelevant external sector agencies;
- Government ministries and departments
- Contractors – Civil and WASH construction works
- Cluster Coordination members
- Other humanitarian actors
- WASH advisors
- Local authorities
- Manager of Program Quality
- WASH field staff
- Field Coordinators
- Country Director
- Heads of departments
The WASH coordinator shall supervise the WASH field staff and Engineers/Officer in the different Aps
Knowledge/Technical Skills, attitude and competencies
- University degree (Masters) in technical field, preferably WASH-related or civil engineering.
- Minimal 3 years WASH field experience, preferably in MENA-region.
- Fluent in English, preferably Arabic.
- Demonstrated knowledge on integrated WASH programming
- Ability to identify and plan work strategically and to work to deadlines
- Project management knowledge and skills
- Ability and enjoyment in training others, ability to provide technical guidance and support to field staff
- Preferably experience in:
- Behavior Change Communication design and implementation;
- Community involvement for sustainability of WASH interventions;
- Tendering procedures for civil works;
- Design and implementation of urban wash interventions, like construction or rehabilitation of piped networks, sewage systems etc;
- Design and implementation of solar water supply systems;
- Remote monitoring / management of WASH projects;
- WASH data management and visualization with Power BI, QLIK
Start date: as soon as possible, contract until 31st of December 2021 with possibility for extension
Please send your cover letter and CV, together with 3 recent references in English with reference to the applied position to the following e-mail address: firstname.lastname@example.org
It is highly important that you mention the job title in the Subject field of your email in order to be considered for this vacancy. Kindly put the following in the subject field: WASH Sector Coordinator _Sana'a
يرجى ذكر إسم الوظيفة مع المدينة في حقل موضوع البريد الإلكتروني عند التقديم وتسمية السيرة الذاتية باسم المتقدم
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and only completed applications will be accepted
Deadline for application: 7th of March 2021