Position: Health Supervisor
Reports to: Project Manager – health and nutrition
Staff directly reporting to this post: health teams at facility or mobile clinic level, data entry and/or reporting officer and community health volunteers
Location: Abyan & Aden
INTERSOS is an independent non-profit humanitarian organization committed to assisting the victims of natural disasters and armed conflicts. Its activities are based on the principles of solidarity, justice, human dignity, equality of rights and opportunities, and respect for diversity and coexistence, paying special attention to the most vulnerable and unprotected people.
Since 2015, INTERSOS has been implementing health programs (with integration of nutrition) in Yemen, in partnerships with the MOPHP, supporting partially and non-functional health facilities, by payment of incentives for health workers and community volunteers, providing inputs such as drugs, medical and lab equipment and consumables and cover standard running cost for the facilities. INTERSOS also supports maintenance and rehabilitation/upgrading of health facilities. Next to support for primary health care services, INTERSOS ensures also attention for Secondary Health care to guarantee functioning referral services. Overall INTERSOS works as much as possible and supports the WHO/MOPHP endorsed minimum service package (MSP). INTERSOS also runs mobile clinics teams to improve access to health and nutrition services for IDPs and host communities; mostly covering hard to reach-areas, communities in the 3rd level of the catchment area of the health facilities, and IDP concentration areas. In 2021, health and nutrition programs continue for Hajja (7 HFs & 1 MCT), Ibb (11 HFs), Lahj (10 HFs and 1 MCT), Aden (2 MCTs) and Abyan (3 HFs and 2 MCTs). Protection mainstreaming is the backbone of INTERSOS’ programming globally. INTERSOS enhances the capacity of the health staff and CHVs on the integration of protection principles in their day-to-day work, a series of training is rolled out in order to enhance safety, dignity and meaningful access to the services and also ensuring the quick, proper and confidential referral of survivors and persons at risk.
INTERSOS is an active member of the Health and Nutrition cluster at national and hub level, and INTERSOS health officer is co-focal point for the Health cluster in Hadramout hub.
- Provide technical support of the health teams (mobile and/or static)
- Ensure respect for protocols of MOPHP applied and respected at facility/team level
- Ensure safeguarding and safety of staff and beneficiaries during service delivery and facility access, with special attention to protect women, and children
- Provide training needs to medical staff and community health volunteers, planning and implementation of relevant trainings especially in clinical management of childhood diseases, maternal health, First Aid, TRIAGE emergency care, COVID-19 prevention and response protocols.
- Conduct awareness sessions on different public health issues and on level of care and referral pathways to protection staff
- Organize with logistics and pharmacists for smooth project supplies; ordering, stocking and distribution and monitoring of consumption and weekly and monthly reporting on consumption
- Planning movement of mobile clinics cars and/or BLS ambulances/teams to reach services in good and professional manner
- Supervise collection and compilation of project data in geographic area of responsibility, and ensure meticulous and timely reporting, with support of data entry officer and/or reporting officer
- Compile the data collected from the field to be submitted to the Project Manager
- Report on observations during field visits – facility, community and staff level
- Closely monitor and report on health staff attendance and performance
- Submit weekly/monthly statistics and narrative report to the Project Manager assessments/surveys, monitoring and evaluation of the project
- Maintain good and positive contacts with MOPHP (DHO/GHO), local authorities, and community leaders to ensure their involvement in project activities
- Assist the project manager and logistics department in procurement analysis of drug/medical supply/medical equipment and ambulance materials by providing specification for requested items, seating on tender opening and/or evaluation committees, etc.
- Provide regular supervision of mobile and static health teams and community health volunteers including data collection/records of beneficiaries and project activities, as well as timely implementation and reaching targets according to project objectives
- Provide regular updates and reports to Project Manager and others as required
- Provide data, pictures and stories to enrich reports for both internal and external use
- Organize and conduct joint multifunctional team monitoring visits
- Monitor project implementation and ensure accurate, timely data collection
- Ensure linkages and integration of community mobilization activities and mobile clinic services
- Maintain project files and data
- Raise regularly supply request incl. therapeutic food and drugs, IPC and PPE
- Work in collaboration with the health facilities staff to achieve INTERSOS and MoPHP goals
- Any other duties as assigned by the supervisor
Overall, these tasks require:
- Adherence to Humanitarian principles of Neutrality, Impartiality, Independence, and Humanity
- Clear & timely communications to line management
- Full abiding by INTERSOS internal rules and guidelines and respect INTERSOS Charter of Value and Code of Ethics
- Bachelor’s degree in medicine preferably with a Master’s in Health administration is required.
- 2+ years’ experience in project design, planning, implementing and evaluating integrated community-based health programs in emergency/relief context.
- Professional experience in lead management implementing emergency health response programs, preferably in a conflict setting.
- Sound knowledge and nutritional support services like CMAM, MAM and IYCF.
- Sound knowledge and experience in primary and secondary health care services.
- Previous experience in working with various International NGOs in developing countries and more so in emergency response programming.
- Strong interpersonal, communication, public speaking, and strategic planning skills required.
- Ability to represent, liaise and negotiate at different levels (national, provincial and local) with NGOs/ INGOs, donors, government, etc.
- Strong English and Arabic skills, written and spoken. Ability to write reports in English is required.
- Strong Microsoft package skills (MS Word, MS Excel, Power-point)
- Deadline for submission of application: 2 March 2021
- Documents to be submitted: CV and Motivation Letter (incomplete applications will be not considered), in addition to contact details for minimum 2 reference persons (include position and relation)
- How to send the application: by e-mail to email@example.com (applications delivered by hand will be not considered)
- Clearly mention the job and location that you are applying for in the subject of your e-mail!