The International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) is an independent, neutral organization ensuring humanitarian protection and assistance for victims of war and armed violence. Please visit www.icrc.org for more information.
The ICRC is looking for a suitable candidate to fill the position of:
Language Specialist 1
Contract type: Open ended
Level of Post: B2
Number of posts: 1 Post
Start Announcement: 23.02.2021
The Language Specialist 1 helps the ICRC communicate clearly and consistently by providing translation services from one or more languages into their mother tongue and/or editing services in their mother tongue.
Accountabilities & Responsibilities
- Translates from one or more languages into their mother tongue* and/or edits in their mother tongue a wide range of ICRC texts, within agreed deadlines, ensuring high quality and appropriate terminology. Is revised by more senior colleagues.
- May advise colleagues from other parts of the organization on linguistic issues.
- Gets involved in ad hoc or ongoing projects (e.g. terminology).
- Uses and suggests updates to terminology tools.
- Proactively collaborates with external translators when volumes require extra resources.
- Advises on sensitivities regarding the use of national languages in the delegations.
- In some field locations translators may translate into and out of their mother tongue.
- University degree in translation or professional language skills from a recognized academic institution or equivalent.
- Arabic mother tongue.
- Advanced knowledge of English, other languages an asset.
- Excellent writing skills in Arabic and English.
- IT proficiency and knowledge of CAT tools (particularly Trados and terminology tools).
Professional Experience Required
- 3–5 years' experience in translation or editing (preferably in an international organization).
- Editing experience an asset.
- knowledge of international law or related fields.
- People management
- Team work & Collaboration
- Representing the ICRC
- Beneficiary & Client focused
Interested candidates should send the following:
- A letter of motivation in English
- A detailed C.V. in English
- Copy only of the highest academic degree obtained + Work certificates
- Only short listed will be contacted
Please send your applications (by email to firstname.lastname@example.org
indicating in the subject line: Language Specialist 1
Applications with no clear indication of the subject will not be considered.
Deadline to send your application: 06.03.2021
Only Shortlisted Candidates will be contacted.